IIHF WJC

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

IIHF WJC

Post by BladesofSteel »

This December's World Junior Championship could easily include at least 5 of these guys

CAN:Horvat/Virtanen/McCann/Subban
SWE:Cederholm
USA: Cassels/Demko
RUS: Tryamkin

When was the last time Vancouver fans could be THIS compelled by the annual turkey-tourney?
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: IIHF WJC

Post by Hockey Widow »

BladesofSteel wrote:This December's World Junior Championship could easily include at least 5 of these guys

CAN:Horvat/Virtanen/McCann/Subban
SWE:Cederholm
USA: Cassels/Demko
RUS: Tryamkin

When was the last time Vancouver fans could be THIS compelled by the annual turkey-tourney?

Of all of those, the one I am most interested in seeing is Tryamkin. A close second, Demko.

But it would be great to gave so many in the tournament to watch.
The only HW the Canucks need
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Why those 2 HW?

I want to see the Horvat and Virtanen play at the level expected of them.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Yeah, I am more interested in seeing our top prospects like Horvat, Virtanen and McCann and especially hoping Cassels makes team USA. I get the impression that Cassels is extremely overlooked here. Got a feeling he's gonna be a better NHL'er than a lot of Canuck prospects who seem to be getting much more attention than him
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Reefer2 wrote:Why those 2 HW?

I want to see the Horvat and Virtanen play at the level expected of them.
Simply because I know the least about those two. I'm intrigued by having the big Russian bear on D and the possibility of a Cory replacement. All positions are critical but those two intrigue me because they came out of no where really.

Of course I am interested in all the prospects but it may be the only real chance to see those two or to follow them in the near future.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

RoyalDude wrote:Yeah, I am more interested in seeing our top prospects like Horvat, Virtanen and McCann and especially hoping Cassels makes team USA. I get the impression that Cassels is extremely overlooked here. Got a feeling he's gonna be a better NHL'er than a lot of Canuck prospects who seem to be getting much more attention than him

I agree RD. if Cassels has a passing game like his father with a little more toughness and is good in the F/O we may have our future 3rd or even 2nd line centre. I was a Cassels fan and was very happy with this pick. Is he eligible to play in Utica this year or is it back to junior for him?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: I was a Cassels fan and was very happy with this pick. Is he eligible to play in Utica this year or is it back to junior for him?
Back to junior.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Strangelove wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: I was a Cassels fan and was very happy with this pick. Is he eligible to play in Utica this year or is it back to junior for him?
Back to junior.
What about Hunter? Can he be sent to Utica? I noticed that he's one calendar year older than BoHo & Cassels and has one extra year played in juniors.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Back to junior.
What about Hunter? Can he be sent to Utica? I noticed that he's one calendar year older than BoHo & Cassels and has one extra year played in juniors.
I read somewhere he can play either as an overage junior or go to Utica but I don't know how accurate that is. I would think the Canucks would want him in Utica ASAP.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Back to junior.
I read somewhere he can play either as an overage junior or go to Utica but I don't know how accurate that is. I would think the Canucks would want him in Utica ASAP.
Correct.

Let's not forget about Gustav Forsling, he stands a chance to crack Sweden 's roster as well. He arguably dropped a bit and landed to us at the 125th pick (5th round). Hopefully one of Gradin's diamonds in the rough. Apparently has solid offensive skills & upside.
Forsling was ranked 25th amongst European skaters in Central Scouting’s final rankings prior to the 2014 NHL Draft.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

ClamRussel wrote: Correct.

Let's not forget about Gustav Forsling, he stands a chance to crack Sweden 's roster as well. He arguably dropped a bit and landed to us at the 125th pick (5th round). Hopefully one of Gradin's diamonds in the rough. Apparently has solid offensive skills & upside.
Forsling was ranked 25th amongst European skaters in Central Scouting’s final rankings prior to the 2014 NHL Draft.

Every team should have at least one Gustav! :P
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Tryamkin turns 20 in a month or so, he will be ineligible.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

dbr wrote:Tryamkin turns 20 in a month or so, he will be ineligible.

Isn't he under contract with the KHL for two more years? Too bad, could be a long time until we see him. Maybe we can see him at the World's next spring.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

He did say his goal was to make the Canucks so perhaps he has an out clause. It could be a language thing & he was referring to when his contract was up. We'll see if he's in camp. I don't mind waiting two years to see how this guy develops.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Hockey Widow wrote:
dbr wrote:Tryamkin turns 20 in a month or so, he will be ineligible.

Isn't he under contract with the KHL for two more years? Too bad, could be a long time until we see him. Maybe we can see him at the World's next spring.
With all due respect to Tryamkin, for him to make Team Russia next spring would certainly put him in the blue chip prospect category. I mean, how many 20 year olds crack the roster from a Country that takes that competition seriously and is the defending champions?

That's almost like someone like a Cole Cassels making Team USA World Championship team squad next spring. Doesn't seem likely when you have much older and experienced personnel available.

I think most of the top teams reserve a spot or two for upper echelon "blue chip" prospects to gain experience but I don't think he falls into that category. Maybe in the "semi" category, tough. :mex: