IIHF WJC

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 15208
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: IIHF WJC

Post by Hockey Widow » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:39 pm

Betamax wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:
dbr wrote:Tryamkin turns 20 in a month or so, he will be ineligible.

Isn't he under contract with the KHL for two more years? Too bad, could be a long time until we see him. Maybe we can see him at the World's next spring.
With all due respect to Tryamkin, for him to make Team Russia next spring would certainly put him in the blue chip prospect category. I mean, how many 20 year olds crack the roster from a Country that takes that competition seriously and is the defending champions?

That's almost like someone like a Cole Cassels making Team USA World Championship team squad next spring. Doesn't seem likely when you have much older and experienced personnel available.

I think most of the top teams reserve a spot or two for upper echelon "blue chip" prospects to gain experience but I don't think he falls into that category. Maybe in the "semi" category, tough. :mex:
Depends upon how many NHLers are in the playoffs. Russia has shown a propensity to use KHLers to fill the void if their NHLers are not available. But ya, he is a long shot, but it still would be nice.
The only HW the Canucks need

User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 15208
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: IIHF WJC

Post by Hockey Widow » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:41 pm

ClamRussel wrote:He did say his goal was to make the Canucks so perhaps he has an out clause. It could be a language thing & he was referring to when his contract was up. We'll see if he's in camp. I don't mind waiting two years to see how this guy develops.

Hard to say as it was his translator speaking but my sense was he was saying his goal was to make the Canucks but first he had to fulfil his contract with the KHL.
The only HW the Canucks need

User avatar
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2327
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:41 am
Location: Riga, Latvia

Re: IIHF WJC

Post by Lancer » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:42 pm

If both McCann and Virtanen make the national squad, it would be interesting to see if they make the same line. Given Benning's comments about Virtanen needing a playmaker and McCann's apparent ability to distribute the puck it would be worth it to see if they develop chemistry in such an environment. If they do, we may have seen something of Benning's thinking in terms of wanting not just to draft Virtanen but also the concrete desire to draft McCain over and above anyone else as well to go with him.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.

Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1359
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:45 pm
Location: @betamax1080p

Re: IIHF WJC

Post by Betamax » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:12 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:
Betamax wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:
dbr wrote:Tryamkin turns 20 in a month or so, he will be ineligible.

Isn't he under contract with the KHL for two more years? Too bad, could be a long time until we see him. Maybe we can see him at the World's next spring.
With all due respect to Tryamkin, for him to make Team Russia next spring would certainly put him in the blue chip prospect category. I mean, how many 20 year olds crack the roster from a Country that takes that competition seriously and is the defending champions?

That's almost like someone like a Cole Cassels making Team USA World Championship team squad next spring. Doesn't seem likely when you have much older and experienced personnel available.

I think most of the top teams reserve a spot or two for upper echelon "blue chip" prospects to gain experience but I don't think he falls into that category. Maybe in the "semi" category, tough. :mex:
Depends upon how many NHLers are in the playoffs. Russia has shown a propensity to use KHLers to fill the void if their NHLers are not available. But ya, he is a long shot, but it still would be nice.
duh, think about what you are saying. This year's championship team only had one NHL defenseman on the roster (Orlov, Capitals).

via: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_IIHF_ ... ip_rosters

I think it would take a miracle for Tryamkin to be on the roster. That would probably mean he would be one of the top defensemen in the KHL and if that happens as a 20 year old, I guess you can say he's a blue chip prospect dman, but I don't think its realistic to hope for when they would probably go with players with more experience as you see with the average age and playing experience of what their 2014 roster was comprised of ................ :mex:

User avatar
CorranHorn
CC Veteran
Posts: 150
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:11 pm

Re: IIHF WJC

Post by CorranHorn » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:08 pm

Why do you keep on going on about the fact that he's a 20 year old?

User avatar
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 9435
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:21 am
Location: over here.....

Re: IIHF WJC

Post by rats19 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:09 pm

Because he is 20??
Getting old is not for the young...

User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 15208
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: IIHF WJC

Post by Hockey Widow » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:22 pm

Ya, pretty long stretch he makes the national team. I guess we will have to wait until he is 22 to see if he can play in the NHL. :mrgreen:

Nice to know we may have some defensive depth around the time Hamhuis and Bieksa are FA.
The only HW the Canucks need

Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1359
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:45 pm
Location: @betamax1080p

Re: IIHF WJC

Post by Betamax » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:39 pm

CorranHorn wrote:Why do you keep on going on about the fact that he's a 20 year old?
duh, the fact that 20 year old hockey players don't have much experience playing at the highest level. Experience matters in a competition like the WHC and unless he has other attributes to compensate for that i.e. he is an exceptional talent i.e. a uber "blue chip prospect" .... teams like Russia don't have them on the roster. How many 20 year olds were on their Gold Medal winning team?

Exactly. :mex:

User avatar
Per
CC Legend
Posts: 4819
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:45 am

Re: IIHF WJC

Post by Per » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:23 am

Betamax wrote:
CorranHorn wrote:Why do you keep on going on about the fact that he's a 20 year old?
duh, the fact that 20 year old hockey players don't have much experience playing at the highest level. Experience matters in a competition like the WHC and unless he has other attributes to compensate for that i.e. he is an exceptional talent i.e. a uber "blue chip prospect" .... teams like Russia don't have them on the roster. How many 20 year olds were on their Gold Medal winning team?

Exactly. :mex:
Andrei Vasilevski. Dressed for eight games. Played 120 minutes.
One shutout. 67 shots against, 66 saves, 1 goal allowed.

But sure, point taken. And many teams have a young third goalie, as most veterans get severly pissed off not even getting dressed for games. Not sure how he ended up being backup instead and even playing some. Was Khudobin nursing an injury?
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.

Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1359
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:45 pm
Location: @betamax1080p

Re: IIHF WJC

Post by Betamax » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:27 pm

Per wrote:
Betamax wrote:
CorranHorn wrote:Why do you keep on going on about the fact that he's a 20 year old?
duh, the fact that 20 year old hockey players don't have much experience playing at the highest level. Experience matters in a competition like the WHC and unless he has other attributes to compensate for that i.e. he is an exceptional talent i.e. a uber "blue chip prospect" .... teams like Russia don't have them on the roster. How many 20 year olds were on their Gold Medal winning team?

Exactly. :mex:
Andrei Vasilevski. Dressed for eight games. Played 120 minutes.
One shutout. 67 shots against, 66 saves, 1 goal allowed.

But sure, point taken. And many teams have a young third goalie, as most veterans get severly pissed off not even getting dressed for games. Not sure how he ended up being backup instead and even playing some. Was Khudobin nursing an injury?
Of the top tier teams, Seth Jones (20 years old) "uber blue chip" prospect was on USA's World Championship roster. However, I'm just going out on a limb here and write that, uhhhhhhhhh, Tryamkin isn't in that category. Image

User avatar
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2108
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:53 pm

Re: IIHF WJC

Post by mathonwy » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:07 pm

Betamax wrote: Of the top tier teams, Seth Jones (20 years old) "uber blue chip" prospect was on USA's World Championship roster. However, I'm just going out on a limb here and write that, uhhhhhhhhh, Tryamkin isn't in that category. Image
Tryamkin is probably a semi blue chip prospect right?

User avatar
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1742
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:09 pm
Contact:

Re: IIHF WJC

Post by Tiger » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:55 am

mathonwy wrote:
Betamax wrote: Of the top tier teams, Seth Jones (20 years old) "uber blue chip" prospect was on USA's World Championship roster. However, I'm just going out on a limb here and write that, uhhhhhhhhh, Tryamkin isn't in that category. Image
Tryamkin is probably a semi blue chip prospect right?

? for the KHL right ? :D
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice

Post Reply