Young Stars Tourney

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Re: Young Stars Tourney

Post by ClamRussel »

Mëds wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Fox's skating makes Stumpy Legs Hodgson look like Yvon Cournyeur
So is Fox your new whipping boy Dude? :lol:

Crapper skater or not, he manages to get open a helluva lot.

Awesome shot, physical player,.... you might not like him right now Dr Jekyll

... but you're gunna love him later Mr Hyde. :wink:
A couple of times last night he got that shot off when he wasn't all that open.

And despite the Dude's grumblings to the contrary, he's not a terrible skater. He's a little below average on his feet, but he can work on that a bit more, and I didn't see him lagging behind the play at all. He's also tenacious and scrappy. He will likely never anchor a line, but he will definitely be a good piece with the right players. I can see a line of Fox-Horvat-Shinkaruk being very effective.....much the same as the WCE was 10 years ago.
Ya, a sniper named Luc, who also couldn't skate, won a few Cups & is now in the HHOF. Drafted in the 9th round. Perhaps we should give Fox a few years before jumping to any conclusions or ripping him for his skating style.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Valk moves into Gaunce's spot between Fox & Zalewski...gotta say if Valkyrie, Lotz & Wilson keep doing what they're doing all 3 should receive contracts. More depth on the farm & a competitive push from below in the ECHL.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

ClamRussel wrote:
Mëds wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Fox's skating makes Stumpy Legs Hodgson look like Yvon Cournyeur

And despite the Dude's grumblings to the contrary, he's not a terrible skater. He's a little below average on his feet, but he can work on that a bit more, and I didn't see him lagging behind the play at all. He's also tenacious and scrappy. He will likely never anchor a line, but he will definitely be a good piece with the right players. I can see a line of Fox-Horvat-Shinkaruk being very effective.....much the same as the WCE was 10 years ago.
Ya, a sniper named Luc, who also couldn't skate, won a few Cups & is now in the HHOF. Drafted in the 9th round. Perhaps we should give Fox a few years before jumping to any conclusions or ripping him for his skating style.
Yup, skating doesn't matter that much as long as you have all the other NHL hockey skill principles on lock...I should add as long as you ain't as slow as Murzyn.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

Well the Sedins sure aren't able to leave a jet stream in their wake, but they seem to have done pretty good. If all Fox has to do is get open and blast, I think a young Brett Hull did the very same thing and who wouldn't want a young Brett Hull on their team. Oh yeah Calgary cut him free didn't they. I mean, what NHL team wouldn't want a young Brett Hull.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Canuck-One wrote:Well the Sedins sure aren't able to leave a jet stream in their wake, but they seem to have done pretty good. If all Fox has to do is get open and blast, I think a young Brett Hull did the very same thing and who wouldn't want a young Brett Hull on their team. Oh yeah Calgary cut him free didn't they. I mean, what NHL team wouldn't want a young Brett Hull.
Calgary didn't cut him free, they traded him for a Stanley Cup. I make that trade. Hull was drafted later than he should due to skating alone. I saw him in jr. w/ Penticton & his skating was atrocious. He was no big deal, barely noticeable...then he sniped two quick goals.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

SKYO wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:
Mëds wrote:
Strangelove wrote:

Yup, skating doesn't matter that much as long as you have all the other NHL hockey skill principles on lock...I should add as long as you ain't as slow as Murzyn.
...then again it worked pretty well for Larry Murphy. His waddling style couldn't have been any faster than good oil' Dana.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Vancouver 1 - Winnipeg 0

Shinkaruk from Jensen!

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Winnipeg scores: Kosmachuk (PP) (unassisted)

Vancouver 1 Winnipeg 1

Lineup vs. Winnipeg:

46 Jensen - 53 Horvat - 48 Shinkaruk
45 Fox - 43 Valk - 40 Zalewski
59 James - 50 Gaunce - 74 Wilson
63 Bellerive - 70 Revel - 62 Martin

57 Cederholm - 67 Subban
26 Corrado - 72 Thrower
64 Humphries - 71 Stewart

S_C
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Winnipeg scores: Brassard (Olsen, Morrisey)

Winnipeg 2 Vancouver 1

Fox - Lipon fight before the ensuing faceoff!

Fox got Lipon's helmet off first, but pretty even.

Wow - automatic game misconducts because they fought before the puck dropped!

S_C
Last edited by Southern_Canuck on Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

The Canucks really have a problem when the best defenseman in these two games has been Subban...
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Kosmachuk steals the puck along the boards and scores - not a good goal against Whistle.

Winnipeg 3 Vancouver 1

S_C
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Canuck-One wrote:Well the Sedins sure aren't able to leave a jet stream in their wake, but they seem to have done pretty good. If all Fox has to do is get open and blast, I think a young Brett Hull did the very same thing and who wouldn't want a young Brett Hull on their team. Oh yeah Calgary cut him free didn't they. I mean, what NHL team wouldn't want a young Brett Hull.
Brett Hull potential is fairly reasonable
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Southern_Canuck wrote:Kosmachuk steals the puck along the boards and scores - not a good goal against Whistle.

Winnipeg 3 Vancouver 1

S_C
Are the kids getting handed their lunch?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote: Are the kids getting handed their lunch?
You're not watching the game?

It's been pretty even.

Canucks have had some nice chances lately (Gaunce and Horvat).

Canucks defense has been horrible, PP has been horrible.

Lowry just scored for Jets, 4-1...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Winnipeg: Lowry (PP) (Petan)

Winnipeg 4 Vancouver 1

Well, after Vancouver started to even out the shots in the second period, the Jets score again on the powerplay on a breakaway... tough night for Whistle with 3 Winnipeg goals on the last three shots against, and 3 goals on 6 shots overall in the second period for the Jets.

S_C
Last edited by Southern_Canuck on Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.