Young Stars Tourney

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Post Reply
User avatar
ClamRussel
CC Legend
Posts: 3992
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:50 am
Location: New South Wales, Australia

Young Stars Tourney

Post by ClamRussel » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:00 am

"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy

Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1171
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:48 am

Re: Young Stars Tourney

Post by Diehard1 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:37 am

This is usually a much more interesting event than the summer camp. We will see how the boys do. I'm guessing Virtanen won't be there as he wasn't announced, but he's supposed to be back in October so he will be close when this tournament is happening.

Lots of high picks this year even without Jake, I guess that's what happens when the teams in question have all been terrible for many years (Edmonton), a few years (Calgary) or even one year (Nucks).

User avatar
ClamRussel
CC Legend
Posts: 3992
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:50 am
Location: New South Wales, Australia

Re: Young Stars Tourney

Post by ClamRussel » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:29 pm

Yep, no contact for Jake until Oct.

Hunter on the other hand...
http://www.theprovince.com/touch/sports ... rel=894638
I wouldn't be shocked if he makes the team this year (look for Benning to clear out a roster spot) or 1/4 of the way into the season.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy

Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1359
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:45 pm
Location: @betamax1080p

Re: Young Stars Tourney

Post by Betamax » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:51 pm

ClamRussel wrote:Yep, no contact for Jake until Oct.

Hunter on the other hand...
http://www.theprovince.com/touch/sports ... rel=894638
I wouldn't be shocked if he makes the team this year (look for Benning to clear out a roster spot) or 1/4 of the way into the season.
via: http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=725723

Demko's blog:
I was asked today if any skaters have stood out to me and it’s tough when I’m on the ice to notice, they’re all really great, but watching from the stands I can say Hunter Shinkaruk has skills. He has good hands and good speed and I can see why he’s a top prospect for sure. He brings a lot to the table.
:mex:

User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
Posts: 11540
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Young Stars Tourney

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:07 pm

Should be good. Hoping to attend a couple of the games. Mix in a few wineries and a golf game as well. :drink:
TRY TO FOCUS ON HOW MY ASS TASTES IN ONE YEAR

User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 9916
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: Young Stars Tourney

Post by Topper » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:27 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Mix in a few wineries. :drink:
Head south between Oliver and Osooyoos. Silver Sage for fun, Black Hills for wine.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
Posts: 11540
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Young Stars Tourney

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:42 pm

Topper wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Mix in a few wineries. :drink:
Head south between Oliver and Osooyoos. Silver Sage for fun, Black Hills for wine.
Around OK Falls ?? I was thinking of hitting the Naramata Bench area, supposed to be some good vineyards there, but I am open to good suggestions.
TRY TO FOCUS ON HOW MY ASS TASTES IN ONE YEAR

User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 9916
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: Young Stars Tourney

Post by Topper » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:42 am

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Topper wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Mix in a few wineries. :drink:
Head south between Oliver and Osooyoos. Silver Sage for fun, Black Hills for wine.
Around OK Falls ?? I was thinking of hitting the Naramata Bench area, supposed to be some good vineyards there, but I am open to good suggestions.
Further south, south of Oliver. Black Sage bench on the east side of the valley. Black Hills produces some of BC's finest. I haven't had a tour but a buy a few cases a year for cellaring and when I have picked up my cases there, they are now fairly pompous and stuffy.

Silver Sage is a fun tasting, they make funky flavoured wines and some good desert wines. Years ago the owner fell into a vat and asphyxiated/drowned before he could get out. New meaning to "Family Reserve". They make a red dessert wine that will pair with chocolate and a white that has an apricot flavour. They also have one with a chili pepper stuffed in the bottle that would be perfect for the rubes dropping by the Cariboo cabin or giving to someone you don't like.

South end of the road is Burrowing Owl with a restaurant and you can wander through the winery.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
Posts: 12051
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Young Stars Tourney

Post by RoyalDude » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:56 am

The debonair side of Topper when he isn't bear baiting with assault rifles back at his whitey members only militia camp

Need to check out this tour, I've had Burrowing Owl but not the other two, will have to try out Black Hill
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
Posts: 11540
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Young Stars Tourney

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:23 am

RoyalDude wrote:
Need to check out this tour, I've had Burrowing Owl but not the other two, will have to try out Black Hill
Shit i figured you and Ms Dumaresque just chugged a couple bottle of royal red every weekend.
TRY TO FOCUS ON HOW MY ASS TASTES IN ONE YEAR

User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
Posts: 12051
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Young Stars Tourney

Post by RoyalDude » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:56 pm

Blobby you don't have to drive all the way to the Black Sage Bench to get your fill of Budweisers,

You'd be out of your element their like Charles Haden Church was in Sideways. You'll be asking locals where the nearest peeler bar is to get your Kokanee draft beer and a flap of bump from an H.A. member half way through the tour, ditching your poor wife telling her you need to take a piss.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

User avatar
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP
Posts: 7951
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: Young Stars Tourney

Post by Island Nucklehead » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:47 pm

RoyalDude wrote: You'd be out of your element their like Charles Haden Church was in Sideways. You'll be asking locals where the nearest peeler bar is to get your Kokanee draft beer and a flap of bump from an H.A. member half way through the tour, ditching your poor wife telling her you need to take a piss.
Speaking from experience? Sounds like a good time.

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 17744
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Young Stars Tourney

Post by Strangelove » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:40 pm

Topper wrote: Further south, south of Oliver. Black Sage bench on the east side of the valley. Black Hills produces some of BC's finest. I haven't had a tour but a buy a few cases a year for cellaring and when I have picked up my cases there, they are now fairly pompous and stuffy.

Silver Sage is a fun tasting, they make funky flavoured wines and some good desert wines. Years ago the owner fell into a vat and asphyxiated/drowned before he could get out. New meaning to "Family Reserve". They make a red dessert wine that will pair with chocolate and a white that has an apricot flavour. They also have one with a chili pepper stuffed in the bottle that would be perfect for the rubes dropping by the Cariboo cabin or giving to someone you don't like.
I've been into the BC wines a lot over the last year or two.

There's a wine store near my place that deals exclusively in BC wines, tastings every weekend.

Wifey is the connoisseur, one sip and she can identify the fruit(s).

Me, not so much, but I know what I like.

We had a bottle of white (alibi?) from Black Hills a few weeks ago.

Twas fine, but I prefer red.

I really like the merlot that Black Sage makes, drinking a lot of dat dere.

I believe Church & State is in that area as well, I like their cabernet sauvignon.

Jackson Triggs is somewhere up that way, famous for cheap crap that we snobs turn are noses up at

... but their top shiraz is actually really good (a tasting led to us buying a few bottles).

Never done a tour up that way, but we've done most of the ones in the Kelowna area.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
Posts: 11540
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Young Stars Tourney

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:55 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:
RoyalDude wrote: You'd be out of your element their like Charles Haden Church was in Sideways. You'll be asking locals where the nearest peeler bar is to get your Kokanee draft beer and a flap of bump from an H.A. member half way through the tour, ditching your poor wife telling her you need to take a piss.
Speaking from experience? Sounds like a good time.
Pacific Blue spent many years of his 20's and 30's weaving around the Dufferin and the Astoria ripped out of his gord. He chased down the flaps and cheap pints like Willie Mays on a routine fly ball. A good Sunday for the dude was smoking a little meth with the Native trannies at Oppenheimer Park and sippin' a magnum of Lonesome Charlie wrapped in a brown paper bag.
TRY TO FOCUS ON HOW MY ASS TASTES IN ONE YEAR

dbr
CC Legend
Posts: 3050
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: Young Stars Tourney

Post by dbr » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:16 pm

Church & State are on the Island, doc. I tried a Cabernet Sauvignon of theirs that I liked a lot some years back.

Post Reply