If you could "turn back time" would you have kept Schneider?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

If you could turn back time, which of the two options would you have preferred?

Cory Schneider
24%
Bo Horvat and Ryan Miller
76%

Total votes: 17

sagebrush
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: If you could "turn back time" would you have kept Schnei

Post by sagebrush »

Aaronp18 wrote:
Betamax wrote: LOL .... so you only think Canucks fans are readers/participants here on this goddamn hockey talk messageboard?
Not what I said at all.

Where did I say "only" Canucks fans participate here?

By posting in a Canucks messageboard any person with an IQ > 70 would know they are going to receive a perspective dominated by Canucks fans. Tell me I'm wrong! :mex:
Are you sure that the required IQ is actually over 70? I don't see a link to supporting evidence, & recent events lead me to believe that 70 may not be the limit.

Also, using the word 'dominated' may be interpreted as a tad disrespectful of the other team's fans. They may feel that they have the ability to hold their own in a meaningful discussion. Considering, with respect to, & in as much as where bar has recently been set. :hmmm:
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Betamax wrote: duh, you said ... "I addressed Canucks fans" .... yeah I know most people that peruse this forum are 1st and foremost Canucks fan, but as that thread I highlighted:
So I didn't say "only" Canucks fans. Thank you!

And then you obviously knew that the poll and opinions would be dominated by Canucks fans. But you seem surprised by the results?

:hmmm:
Betamax wrote: Ergo, it would be interested in reading the "few" non-Canucks fans' opinion on what option do they think is better from an asset value assessment. :mex:
If that's what you were truly interested in then you would have included such subtext in your original post, or perhaps even the title of the thread.

But you didn't and now you are, again, trying to deflect your argument (ie. move goalposts) in an attempt to make the fact that the vast majority of this board disagrees with you. You, and evidently Matt Sekeres, are wrong.

Horvat and Miller >> Schneider

It's a virtual lock that the Canucks management would agree! There's no way in hell they would trade Horvat and Miller for Schneider.
Tciso
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tciso »

Aaronp18 wrote:
Betamax wrote: Ergo, it would be interested in reading the "few" non-Canucks fans' opinion on what option do they think is better from an asset value assessment. :mex:
If that's what you were truly interested in then you would have included such subtext in your original post, or ere's no way in hell they would trade Horvat and Miller for Schneider.
Can we trade Bettman, er, Betamax for a deaf dumb and blind kid who doesn't post?
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Tciso wrote: Can we trade Bettman, er, Betamax for a deaf dumb and blind kid who doesn't post?
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Let's not even have this argument, as Sekeres has already stated his opinion. There's no point in discussing further.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Betamax wrote:In a hypothetical scenario, what would you do if in an alternate universe, the NJD offered The Cory back for Bo Horvat and The Cory would agree to the same 7 year, 6M AAV contract extension here?

Here are the fine print details:

Cory Schneider (age 28) @ (4M AAV for one more year and then 6M AAV, 7 years)

vs.

Bo Horvat (age 19) @ (1.74M AAV [850K p. bonus], 3 years) and Ryan Miller (age 34) - (6M AAV, 3 years)

EDIT: Updated The Cory's Contract status to include his current deal that has one year remaining.

:mex:
Okay, I updated the original post to reflect the fact that The Cory has one year left on the "bridge" contract he signed with Vancouver. The extra 2M in cap savings would have put the Canucks' in better position to make a significant move this season in their push for the Playoffs (which is the goal as GMJB reiterated in their Summer Summit a few days ago when he was asked why the team won't be tanking for McDavid) while not unnecessarily trading/waiving a useful roster player to stay under the cap. :mex:
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Boy it is a tough choice when you look at all sides of it. But given Cory's age I think it would be tempting to trade for Cory and give up Bo and Miller. Having him under contract for the next seven seasons, counting this upcoming one, sure looks nice. But I suppose we have to get Lack into that equation. We would certainly lose him before Cory's contract would expire and he may be just as good if not better.

The fact we have Miller buys us a lot of time for goalie development. Demko should be in Utica in 3-4 years. His development will be set back a season when he decides to have the double hip surgery done. But if Lack is ready for a bigger role in three years and if Demko is ready for Utica, I like our chances moving forward.
The only HW the Canucks need
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by donlever »

...other than the odd Gary Smith, King Richard or Kirk McLean "surge" goaltending has been a perennial issue here.

Interesting that although the parameters have changed it still remains so.
A different goddamn hockey talk messageboard!
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

donlever wrote:...other than the odd Gary Smith, King Richard or Kirk McLean "surge" goaltending has been a perennial issue here.

Interesting that although the parameters have changed it still remains so.

Missed you Donny! Hard to keep the wolves at bay...

But don't you think the addition of Miller, for three years, actually calms to goaltending issue? We know who the number one is. We know if he is lights out he will in all likelihood get another 2-3 year deal here. We know that if Lack continues to develop and play like he did last year, last 10 the exception, we have a bright future number one. We know Demko is a good 5 years away from making the big club.

We seem to have a nice transitional plan in place with none of the drama past.
The only HW the Canucks need
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Hockey Widow wrote:Boy it is a tough choice when you look at all sides of it. But given Cory's age I think it would be tempting to trade for Cory and give up Bo and Miller. Having him under contract for the next seven seasons, counting this upcoming one, sure looks nice. But I suppose we have to get Lack into that equation. We would certainly lose him before Cory's contract would expire and he may be just as good if not better.
The thing is that Lack could have still developed and traded a year or so later for some picks and you would have some other goalie take his place.

Dudelove likes to point out to The Cory's lack of NHL games as a pox to his future projections. But I look at it the other way. He's a low mileage goalie. That's a good thing. I mean look at what Tim Thomas manage to accomplish in his 30s while playing very little in his 20s (much less than The Cory).

Goalies like Miller and Bobby Lu have the pedigree but they are high mileage goalies and the chances of them breaking down seems more likely than someone like The Cory.
The fact we have Miller buys us a lot of time for goalie development. Demko should be in Utica in 3-4 years. His development will be set back a season when he decides to have the double hip surgery done. But if Lack is ready for a bigger role in three years and if Demko is ready for Utica, I like our chances moving forward.
Demko has the potential to be the next Cory, given a similar development path with the NCAA. Apparently one of the scouting services according to Botchford rated him as the only "A" level goalie prospect in this draft and the reason why some teams may have been reluctant to pick him earlier is that he might need major surgery on both of his hips in the near future. (Similar to the operation Lack had). But they said it was sort of like having Tommy John surgery in that most athletes that have it performed are actually stronger as an end result in that surgically repaired part after they've recovered. :mex:
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by donlever »

Hockey Widow wrote:
But don't you think the addition of Miller, for three years, actually calms to goaltending issue?
I have no horse in this race Wids.

All I'm saying is that even when we finally acquire top quality goaltending (Luongo, Schneider, Miller) after years (decades) of basically average play (with the odd upswing in play by tier 2 guys) or talent we still continue to have the drama.
A different goddamn hockey talk messageboard!
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

donlever wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:
But don't you think the addition of Miller, for three years, actually calms to goaltending issue?
I have no horse in this race Wids.

All I'm saying is that even when we finally acquire top quality goaltending (Luongo, Schneider, Miller) after years (decades) of basically average play (with the odd upswing in play by tier 2 guys) or talent we still continue to have the drama.
The difference between Lu and The Cory vs. Miller is that with Lu and The Cory we had (or could have had them in their prime years in the case of Cory), while Miler is likely past his prime years. :mex:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Betamax wrote: The difference between Lu and The Cory vs. Miller is that with Lu and The Cory we had (or could have had them in their prime years in the case of Cory), while Miler is likely past his prime years.
Another difference is that Miller is a proven Number One while Panic Attack is an unknown in that regard.

Can Panic Attack handle the pressure & work-load?

Or will he succumb to panic attacks? :mex:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Missed you Donny! Hard to keep the mongoloid at bay...
fyp
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

I'd rather we kept Schneider. I hope/expect Horvat to turn out to be a very good player, but yes, I'd rather they kept CS35.