THE 2015 NHL Entry Draft Thread (McDavid, Eichel et al.)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Would you trade the 2015 1st Round Pick if it meant in return an Under 25 year old Top 6F or Top 4D?

Yes - And it would instill belief and confidence in their players and fan base that Management does think they will be a Playoffs team this season (Actions speak louder than words).
20%
No - Too much risk involved if they don't make the Playoffs and lose out on the chance (no matter how small it could be) on drafting a potential Franchise/Generational Player in McDavid/Eichel etc..
80%

Total votes: 15

Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: THE 2015 NHL Entry Draft Thread (McDavid, Eichel et al.)

Post by Diehard1 »

herb wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:As long as the Benning regime doesn't trade prospects and draft picks I dont think it matters where you draft. It's all about having depth in the prospect pool. In 2015 we will be drafting somewhere between 10 and 20. We will sti get a good prospect in that range to add to our growing depth of quality prospects
I agree.

Buffalo may get McDavid, but they're still a shit organization with no direction like Edmonton.

I'd rather pick 10-20, compete for a playoff spot, develop our prospects in Utica and integrate the youngsters with the big team gradually while teaching them how to be pros.
I assume the Nucks will be drafting closer to 10 than to 20, which means a good prospect. I actually think Calgary could be the worst team in the league this year, they really haven't improved at all and barring a massive improvement by their youngens it's tough to see them doing anything but losing a ton of games.

The Nucks have decent depth now but a lot of it is very young an inexperienced. A couple of injuries to key guys and this team could be fighting for a top 10 pick. Unlike last year, however, the players recalled in case of injury won't be AHL fodder and journeymen, but young players who will be big parts moving forward.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:As long as the Benning regime doesn't trade prospects and draft picks I dont think it matters where you draft. It's all about having depth in the prospect pool. In 2015 we will be drafting somewhere between 10 and 20. We will sti get a good prospect in that range to add to our growing depth of quality prospects
Bingo. The "dual track" approach, I like it. Understand that we're not ready to sell our futures to "put us over the top" because we're not a Conference Finals/top-tier team, but that doesn't mean we suck either. Don't give away our good players for nothing, only to develop a culture of losing and hope for a top pick. The key is not getting top-end draft picks every year, but making good choices wherever you pick. Like Dude said, it's easier to make good picks when you have more of them to make.

No rentals. No overpayments. No mortgaging the future for short-sighted optical gains. No "tanking".
Nice to see you boys getting on board!

____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by donlever »

..is it safe?
A different goddamn hockey talk messageboard!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

donlever wrote:..is it safe?
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Strangelove wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
Bingo. The "dual track" approach, I like it. Understand that we're not ready to sell our futures to "put us over the top" because we're not a Conference Finals/top-tier team, but that doesn't mean we suck either. Don't give away our good players for nothing, only to develop a culture of losing and hope for a top pick. The key is not getting top-end draft picks every year, but making good choices wherever you pick. Like Dude said, it's easier to make good picks when you have more of them to make.

No rentals. No overpayments. No mortgaging the future for short-sighted optical gains. No "tanking".
Nice to see you boys getting on board!

Let me be perfectly clear (in my best Harper voice), I wouldn't be upset if the Canucks finished, say, 29th/30th overall in the league this season. My expectations are low, and franchise players ARE easier to come by when you pick 1st or 2nd overall. HOWEVER, I don't want them doing it on purpose, I don't want them trading away everyone for the sake of being awful, I want them to have some pride and play hard. Sometimes you just don't have a good team. I won't be apoplectic and demand beheadings if we wind up with a top-10 pick this year.

I CERTAINLY don't want them trading their top prospects or future draft picks in order to "accelerate" or "jump-start" the rebuild. That backfired massively for Toronto (Kessel).

Basically, keep the picks. Keep the prospects. UFA's on deals that don't tie up the franchise long-term and maintaining the veteran presence isn't a bad thing. TRY to be competitive without sacrificing the future, if it turns out we suck, then we suck and at that point you can move pieces to get ourselves into a better position moving forward.
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by donlever »

Strangelove wrote:
Olivier/Hoffman Marathon Man bit

Exactly! what I was waiting for...

:mex:
A different goddamn hockey talk messageboard!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

IN that was just my smug way of saying I was right all along about the direction of this team.

See, it wasn't that long ago that I was battling tooth 'n nail with tankers and budget-cutters.

The playoffs seem like a reasonable goal now in Canuckdom.

And that's a good thing. :thumbs:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

donlever wrote: Exactly! what I was waiting for...

:mex:
Welcome back Dr Szell!!

____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Island Nucklehead wrote:I CERTAINLY don't want them trading their top prospects or future draft picks in order to "accelerate" or "jump-start" the rebuild. That backfired massively for Toronto (Kessel).
Thank the good lawd Toronto does not have Tyler Seguin.
Island Nucklehead wrote:Basically, keep the picks. Keep the prospects. UFA's on deals that don't tie up the franchise long-term and maintaining the veteran presence isn't a bad thing. TRY to be competitive without sacrificing the future, if it turns out we suck, then we suck and at that point you can move pieces to get ourselves into a better position moving forward.
Absolument.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

"Safe is Death." - Torts

Well, since he ain't behind the bench anymore .... it should be. :mex:
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

Hockey Widow wrote:I think we can all agree that it is highly unlikely we will be in the hunt for the top two picks. Regardless, this is not the year to trade our top pick. End of story.
Couldn't agree more.
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:I think we can all agree that it is highly unlikely we will be in the hunt for the top two picks. Regardless, this is not the year to trade our top pick. End of story.
Couldn't agree more.
What if it were Top Ten protected and the return was huge?

Something like 2015 1st + Hansen + Jensen/Gaunce... FOR... Evander Kane.

(if it turns out that pick is Top Ten, it becomes our 2016 1st instead)

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Kane - Bonino - Kassian
Higgins - Horvat - Burrows
Matthias - Richardson - Dorsett
Vey
Sestito

Jensen/Gaunce are only 1-year/2-years younger than Kane.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Strangelove wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Couldn't agree more.
What if it were Top Ten protected and the return was huge?

Something like 2015 1st + Hansen + Jensen/Gaunce... FOR... Evander Kane.

(if it turns out that pick is Top Ten, it becomes our 2016 1st instead)

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Kane - Bonino - Kassian
Higgins - Horvat - Burrows
Matthias - Richardson - Dorsett
Vey
Sestito

Jensen/Gaunce are only 1-year/2-years younger than Kane.
A conditional 1st would be very intriguing and I could see that, for the right player. While I love E. Kane's skill the more I hear about him the more I think we are wise to stay away. He is high maintenance and has a lot of maturing to do. Maybe a Trevor run team could do it for him, dunno.

Interesting that conditional 1st.
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Evander Kane is the new Dion Phaneuf. His caustic presence can destroy a room. I could care less about his potential. He is who he is. Stay the fuck away from him. Linden doesn't like primadonna personalities, we just got rid of 3 major distractions in Kesler, Torterella and Luongo. I don't see Linden and Benning wanting to bring back another cancerous personality to the room. Especially with all these kids coming up
DOYLE WOULD’VE RATHER HAD KEVIN HAYES AT 7 YEARS 7 MILLION PER INSTEAD OF J.T. MILLER FOR A LATE 1ST RD PICK
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

RoyalDude wrote:Evander Kane is the new Dion Phaneuf. His caustic presence can destroy a room. I could care less about his potential. He is who he is. Stay the fuck away from him. Linden doesn't like primadonna personalities, we just got rid of 3 major distractions in Kesler, Torterella and Luongo. I don't see Linden and Benning wanting to bring back another cancerous personality to the room. Especially with all these kids coming up

Agreed. Benning was part of the team that traded Seguin so I doubt he has the stomach for a similar immature talent. Kane has a boatload of talent and plays tougher that Seguin but his off ice issues are pretty well known. He is still young but it's hard to say with some of these guys. When he slows down some his lack of work ethic will catch up to him. Worth a risk, yes, but not at the price he will command.
The only HW the Canucks need