THE 2015 NHL Entry Draft Thread (McDavid, Eichel et al.)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Would you trade the 2015 1st Round Pick if it meant in return an Under 25 year old Top 6F or Top 4D?

Yes - And it would instill belief and confidence in their players and fan base that Management does think they will be a Playoffs team this season (Actions speak louder than words).
3
20%
No - Too much risk involved if they don't make the Playoffs and lose out on the chance (no matter how small it could be) on drafting a potential Franchise/Generational Player in McDavid/Eichel etc..
12
80%
 
Total votes: 15

User avatar
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 397
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:39 am

Re: THE 2015 NHL Entry Draft Thread (McDavid, Eichel et al.)

Post by KeyserSoze »

Betamax wrote: BTW, you are advocating for a poster Blob, whom, BTW, claimed that Vaive, Derlago and Ohlund were "elite level" talents, FFS. Nonsense. Can we get serious? 8-)
I'm not going to bother looking up Blob's post or in what context he mentioned these players...

...but you put B Richards, Lecavalier, and E Staal in the same category as Sakic, Yzerman, Crosby, Toews, and Datsyuk

FFS.

Nonsense.

Can we get serious?
User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 28277
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: THE 2015 NHL Entry Draft Thread (McDavid, Eichel et al.)

Post by Strangelove »

Betamax wrote:
Strangelove wrote:Google is your friend Captain. :mex:
Talk about resorting to low hanging fruit when you have to resort to citing a "drafting service" that pretty much no one has heard of. LOL ....... 8-)

... what the Hell is "DraftBuzz Hockey" and why should any intelligent hockey fan give a fuck about that site's opinions?
Image

No wonder so many posters are putting you on ignore for your goalposts-moving ways. :hmmm:

You asked for "ONE mock draft you feel is credible" that ranks the 2015 draft the way Blob claimed.

You asked for "ANY 2015 Mock NHL Drafts that supported Blob's claims"

... even going so far as to quote "a mock draft from an hfboard user".

And now you move the goalposts as to how credible this draft-ranking money-making magazine is. :roll:

Right now you should be on your knees begging Blob for an apology.

He was obviously RIGHT and you were obviously WRONG.

As a matter of fact you should probably change your handle to Mr Wrong.

BTW DraftBuzz is listed here among the Top Seven draft-ranking services:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showt ... ?t=1614091

The fact that one of their writers posts at HF is of no consequence.

I do believe DraftBuzz is the ONLY ONE of those Top Seven TO YET RELEASE any of their 2015 rankings.

Yeah so one could say that none of the Top seven ranking services disagrees with what Blob said.

Yeah so you can kiss poster Blobs cyberass there Masta Beta. :mex:

BTW he's one of the many who have you on ignore so I felt obliged to... 'smack you upside the head'.

Yet another way that the Great Strangelove makes CanucksCorner a totally awesome site.

You're welcome and have a nice day! :towel:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1353
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:45 pm
Location: @betamax1080p

Re: THE 2015 NHL Entry Draft Thread (McDavid, Eichel et al.)

Post by Betamax »

Strangelove wrote:
Betamax wrote:
Strangelove wrote:Google is your friend Captain. :mex:
Talk about resorting to low hanging fruit when you have to resort to citing a "drafting service" that pretty much no one has heard of. LOL ....... 8-)

... what the Hell is "DraftBuzz Hockey" and why should any intelligent hockey fan give a fuck about that site's opinions?
Image

No wonder so many posters are putting you on ignore for your goalposts-moving ways. :hmmm:

You asked for "ONE mock draft you feel is credible" that ranks the 2015 draft the way Blob claimed.

You asked for "ANY 2015 Mock NHL Drafts that supported Blob's claims"

... even going so far as to quote "a mock draft from an hfboard user".

And now you move the goalposts as to how credible this draft-ranking money-making magazine is. :roll:

Right now you should be on your knees begging Blob for an apology.

He was obviously RIGHT and you were obviously WRONG.

As a matter of fact you should probably change your handle to Mr Wrong.

BTW DraftBuzz is listed here among the Top Seven draft-ranking services:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showt ... ?t=1614091

The fact that one of their writers posts at HF is of no consequence.

I do believe DraftBuzz is the ONLY ONE of those Top Seven TO YET RELEASE any of their 2015 rankings.

Yeah so one could say that none of the Top seven ranking services disagrees with what Blob said.

Yeah so you can kiss poster Blobs cyberass there Masta Beta. :mex:

BTW he's one of the many who have you on ignore so I felt obliged to... 'smack you upside the head'.

Yet another way that the Great Strangelove makes CanucksCorner a totally awesome site.

You're welcome and have a nice day! :towel:
duh, so dudelove .... who exactly operates DraftBuzz and what are his credentials' that you feel make it worthwhile to consider it a credible "scouting service", in your opinion?

I'll answer that.

Here was his response:

via: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showp ... stcount=31
Hello HF,

After having to step away from amateur hockey scouting a few years ago, this year I decided to invest time and personal coin into scouting the 2014 NHL Draft. Late October 2013, I set up DraftBuzz Hockey, which you have likely seen rankings from throughout the year. These rankings were not projections, they were indications of relative performance for the month vs. media hype.

DRAFTBUZZ' 2014 NHL ENTRY DRAFT GUIDE

PART I (released May 19th, 2014)
-Top 120 Ranking
-Full profiles on top 60
-Short paragraphs on 61-120

PART II (released early June after NYI decide on 5th overall and majority of first round is set by playoff eliminations)
-2014-2015 Breakout Candidates (DraftBuzz favorites)
-Comprehensive 1st round Mock Draft (analysis of team's pipeline, options for picks)
-Top 30 for 2015 NHL Draft with Prospect Blurbs

PDF is available for pre-order now for an early bird price of $3.99CDN until May 16th (via paypal express checkout, no account signup required), DraftBuzz' first annual Draft Guide will offer readers a fresh perspective on this year's draft crop.

Anthony Mauro is a former McKeen's volunteer scout and European content editor. Before taking on this year's draft crop, he covered the 2007 NHL Draft at nhldraftbuzz.blogspot.com where he can be validated vs. TSN as being bullish on Pacioretty, Couture, Subban, Killorn, and Bonino as well as bearish on Esposito, Ellerby, Gillies, and Plante.

The simple difference with DraftBuzz Hockey is less team, less cost, less variety of opinion and potentially knowledge that will affect the overall product. As the sole contributor, I am responsible for debating rankings, articulating every player detail accurately and articulately, and just as important as in-the-moment scouting, ultimately learning from past draft's and establishing a metric for determining NHL talent whether right or wrong. Unlike the rankings, the draft guide will be completely projection based off a scouting rubric I have created, which will be on display through my reports and grading.

Please visit http://www.draftbuzzhockey.com for more information and links to purchase the guide.

Thank you,
Anthony
LOL. No disrespect but that guide sounds like a glorified user at hfboards that is essentially making projections based on what's available on the web and via the legitimate scouting services write ups.

Why isn't that mentioned on his main web site, up front .... besides the small fine print you read at the bottom, where it says: "DraftBuzz Hockey is an independent hockey scouting service run by Anthony Mauro, a former editor and scout for McKeen's Hockey."

Where's the transparency? I mean come on! Can we get serious? That's like a mom and pop operation.

LOL.



BTW, what did you think of his 2014 Final Rankings where that site had DAL COLLE as the best player available, which seemingly goes against virtually other of the other "legitimate scouting" services. Does that instill confidence in you that his 2015 projections are going to be accurate?

duh, does it? 8-)

I look forward to your response. :mex:
User avatar
herb
CC Legend
Posts: 3014
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:17 pm
Location: Mars

Re: THE 2015 NHL Entry Draft Thread (McDavid, Eichel et al.)

Post by herb »

*ignore*
User avatar
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP
Posts: 2930
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:36 pm

Re: THE 2015 NHL Entry Draft Thread (McDavid, Eichel et al.)

Post by Aaronp18 »

MastaBeta, you do realize Dal Colle may yet be the best NHL talent from that draft right?

Just because a variety of scouting reports have others as the top talent doesn't mean they are going to be more successful. Lets look at the results in say 10 years or so.

;)
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1353
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:45 pm
Location: @betamax1080p

Re: THE 2015 NHL Entry Draft Thread (McDavid, Eichel et al.)

Post by Betamax »

Strangelove wrote:BTW DraftBuzz is listed here among the Top Seven draft-ranking services:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showt ... ?t=1614091

The fact that one of their writers posts at HF is of no consequence.
Dudelove, on this point .... I'd just like to, duh, point out to the fact that, it is only *one* writer that operates that site. If I didn't make it clear in my previous reply. ;)

Furthermore, as per that website:

http://www.draftbuzzhockey.com/#!main/cap2

Image

Soooooooooo, since it's an "HFBoard Partner" ....... is it fair to speculate on that being a reason why it's duh, listed as resource there?

BTW, I'm not saying .... I'm just saying what's been listed on their website. 8-)

Furthermore, the OP of that thread, Habsfan18 (Global Moderator) in the second post wrote:

"As for me, it will be McKeen's, Hockey Prospect and Future Considerations as usual. I'll also get THN as part of my subscription for collection purposes, but not expecting much."

Where's the buzz for Draftbuzzhockey? Curious that. 8-)

So, Dudelove, to reiterate, a very sincere thank you for your assistance in exposing the dubious claims made by Poster Blob.

Thanks, bro! :mex:
User avatar
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP
Posts: 8363
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: THE 2015 NHL Entry Draft Thread (McDavid, Eichel et al.)

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Betamax wrote: duh, he was disputing what I wrote.
Rightly so.
Furthermore, your reference to to 2003 draft seems a bit off ..... as next year's draft it is more akin to the 2008 Draft where there were two potential "Generational" caliber players virtually "guaranteed" to go 1-2. i.e. Stamkos and Doughty aka no brainer picks. :mex:
I have yet to see it compared to 2008. I've seen plenty of people compare it to 2003. When they say "deepest draft in a decade" they mean it.

TSN: "what could be the deepest draft class in over a decade."
NHL.com: "A number of scouts believe the 2015 draft is loaded with talent, so much so that it may one day rival the 2003 draft."
Future Considerations: "there is even some hope that we will be seeing the best NHL Draft class ever"
Sports Illustrated: "which will feature the most anticipated class since ’03 "


Yeah. A tad better than the 2008 draft class.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1353
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:45 pm
Location: @betamax1080p

Re: THE 2015 NHL Entry Draft Thread (McDavid, Eichel et al.)

Post by Betamax »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Betamax wrote: duh, he was disputing what I wrote.
Rightly so.
Furthermore, your reference to to 2003 draft seems a bit off ..... as next year's draft it is more akin to the 2008 Draft where there were two potential "Generational" caliber players virtually "guaranteed" to go 1-2. i.e. Stamkos and Doughty aka no brainer picks. :mex:
I have yet to see it compared to 2008. I've seen plenty of people compare it to 2003. When they say "deepest draft in a decade" they mean it.

TSN: "what could be the deepest draft class in over a decade."
NHL.com: "A number of scouts believe the 2015 draft is loaded with talent, so much so that it may one day rival the 2003 draft."
Future Considerations: "there is even some hope that we will be seeing the best NHL Draft class ever"
Sports Illustrated: "which will feature the most anticipated class since ’03 "


Yeah. A tad better than the 2008 draft class.
Of the 2003 NHL Draft Class, how many were considered potential "Generational" talents? Versus the 2008 NHL Draft Class? :mex:
User avatar
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP
Posts: 2930
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:36 pm

Re: THE 2015 NHL Entry Draft Thread (McDavid, Eichel et al.)

Post by Aaronp18 »

....and goal posts left.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1353
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:45 pm
Location: @betamax1080p

Re: THE 2015 NHL Entry Draft Thread (McDavid, Eichel et al.)

Post by Betamax »

Aaronp18 wrote:MastaBeta, you do realize Dal Colle may yet be the best NHL talent from that draft right?

Just because a variety of scouting reports have others as the top talent doesn't mean they are going to be more successful. Lets look at the results in say 10 years or so.

;)
duh ..... I would be interested in knowing how a "one man operation" has the resources to make such a projection that would make him more than just an glorified armchair scout that you read on hfboards?

Look, anyone could go with an outside the box pick and eventually get it right and quote himself years' later. But if he got it wrong, do you think he's going to say he had Dal Colle as #1 back in 2014?

Will that scouting "service" he offers still be in business?

Anyway, as I stated earlier ......... 'Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while' ... :mex:
User avatar
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP
Posts: 8363
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: THE 2015 NHL Entry Draft Thread (McDavid, Eichel et al.)

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Betamax wrote: Of the 2003 NHL Draft Class, how many were considered potential "Generational" talents? Versus the 2008 NHL Draft Class? :mex:
Who the fuck cares? Again the goal posts move. I'll bring you back, the point is (and remains, as per Blob) that there is more to this draft than just McDavid and Eichel.

By your logic everyone should've traded their 2005 picks if they didn't think they'd be in the hunt for the "Crosby sweepstakes", no need for plugs like Kopitar, Neal, Letang, Vlasic, Niskanen or M. Staal.

So yeah, the prosecution rests. If this draft is, as proclaimed by the experts, the deepest draft since 2003 (that is, if you're still with me, deeper than 2008), with MANY potential franchise players, then the Canucks should be keeping their pick, even if they aren't in the running for McDavid or Eichel. Tell me I'm wrong. :mex:
User avatar
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP
Posts: 2930
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:36 pm

Re: THE 2015 NHL Entry Draft Thread (McDavid, Eichel et al.)

Post by Aaronp18 »

Betamax wrote: duh ..... I would be interested in knowing how a "one man operation" has the resources to make such a projection that would make him more than just an glorified armchair scout that you read on hfboards?
Likely doesn't have a real job.
Betamax wrote: Look, anyone could go with an outside the box pick and eventually get it right and quote himself years' later. But if he got it wrong, do you think he's going to say he had Dal Colle as #1 back in 2014?

Will that scouting "service" he offers still be in business?

Anyway, as I stated earlier ......... 'Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while' ... :mex:
....so thick you could cut it with a knife.
User avatar
Puck
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1098
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:40 pm
Location: Victoria, BC

Re: THE 2015 NHL Entry Draft Thread (McDavid, Eichel et al.)

Post by Puck »

*this* is how you get to 1200 posts in 3 months, btw....
:crazy:
User avatar
sagebrush
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 948
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:36 pm
Location: around the bend

Re: THE 2015 NHL Entry Draft Thread (McDavid, Eichel et al.)

Post by sagebrush »

Puck wrote:*this* is how you get to 1200 posts in 3 months, btw....
:crazy:
You'll never become a 'hall of fan' member, with an attitude like that. :thumbs:
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1353
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:45 pm
Location: @betamax1080p

Re: THE 2015 NHL Entry Draft Thread (McDavid, Eichel et al.)

Post by Betamax »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Betamax wrote: Of the 2003 NHL Draft Class, how many were considered potential "Generational" talents? Versus the 2008 NHL Draft Class? :mex:
Who the fuck cares? Again the goal posts move. I'll bring you back, the point is (and remains, as per Blob) that there is more to this draft than just McDavid and Eichel.
duh, my cyber bro Blob missed the point. My contention, as supported by a recent NHL.COM article (THAT is a credible site is it not? ..... among many other articles from credible sources cited earlier) ......................

via: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=724468
The conclusion of the 2014 NHL Draft at Wells Fargo Center signals the official opening of the Connor McDavid-Jack Eichel sweepstakes for the 2015 event at BB&T Center in Sunrise, Fla.

In a draft that looks to be loaded with talent across the board, McDavid of the Erie Otters in the Ontario Hockey League and Eichel, who will be a freshman at Boston University in Hockey East, will be the two headliners.
that there were two that stood out from the crowd Generational talent although some would say one. i.e. As far as I know, as deep as the 2003 Draft Class was in quality, none of the prospects at the time were considered potential "Generational" Talents like in 2005 Draft with Crosby or the 2008 Draft with Stamkos and Doughty.


By your logic everyone should've traded their 2005 picks if they didn't think they'd be in the hunt for the "Crosby sweepstakes", no need for plugs like Kopitar, Neal, Letang, Vlasic, Niskanen or M. Staal.
duh, my logic was that drafting in the top 2 would virtually guarantee a Superstar level talent ... which has not been common in the Canucks' history, right?

Whereas in the 2005 Draft, there were a lot of landmines, busts and journeymen players.

I mean, the Canucks' Drafting Records writes for itself. They had the chance to draft Kopitar back in 2005 right?

But they didn't.

So yeah, the prosecution rests. If this draft is, as proclaimed by the experts, the deepest draft since 2003 (that is, if you're still with me, deeper than 2008), with MANY potential franchise players, then the Canucks should be keeping their pick, even if they aren't in the running for McDavid or Eichel. Tell me I'm wrong. :mex:
With Canucks' Drafting pedigree as seen in four and a half decades of drafting .......... if they are not drafting at the top ........... do you seriously have confidence in their ability to draft a "franchise player" with a later pick?

Sadly, history does not support such optimism. :mex:
Post Reply