2014/15 Line Up projections

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
CC Legend

Re: 2014/15 Line Up projections

Post by SKYO »

mathonwy wrote:
Nuckertuzzi wrote:
mathonwy wrote:Ok... I'm going to say it.

I wish we still had Garrison.

It comes down to would you rather have Miller or Garrison. Salary had to be moved to get the former and we get a 22 y.o. forward with a bit of potential in the exchange. Still have to trim a bit more salary to make it all work but this is an excellent exchange if you're on the camp that wants to see us in the playoffs this year (not that we'll get there).

I'm personally not sorry to see Garrison go. I think his defensive game is pretty overrated as he looked lost quite often last year. But to be fair he had a lot of company.
I haven't done the numbers so I'll take your word on that.

Instead of Miller, how about Vokoun at 2? Or Hiller at 4.5? Or Brodeur at 4.5? (assuming he'll come out to the west).

This is one of the reasons why I am unhappy with the Miller signing. There's no reason to tie up 6M in net considering the state our team is in.
Yeah Garrison was kinda horrible defensively and his shot missed way too much.

Vokoun hell no,
as for Hiller, Miller at same age on a much shittier team has twice as many wins in the regular season & playoffs, and they're almost making the same amount of money? smh
Brodeur he needs to retire.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
Tciso
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tciso »

mathonwy wrote:
Hiller at 4.5M allows us to be competitive, helps protect Eddie Lack and gives us cap flexibility. He also signed for 2 years which is the exact term that would have made the most sense.

We signed the wrong goalie IMO.
Hiller only plays well when he knows he is the #1. He doesn't take pressure from a backup looking to grow into a starter very well at all. He'll shine in CowTown, where no one is looking, but he's too fragile for our market.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Tciso wrote:
mathonwy wrote:
Hiller at 4.5M allows us to be competitive, helps protect Eddie Lack and gives us cap flexibility. He also signed for 2 years which is the exact term that would have made the most sense.

Hiller only plays well when he knows he is the #1. He doesn't take pressure from a backup looking to grow into a starter very well at all. He'll shine in CowTown, where no one is looking, but he's too fragile for our market.
You could say the exact same thing about the situation that he's going into right now.

Does Calgary really see Hiller as their going forward goalie of the future or is Hiller just a stop-gap measure to assist in Karri Ramo's development?

Methinks the latter.

So what yer really saying is regardless of if its Calgary or Vancouver, Hiller is going to suck next season. :lol:
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Brodeur is done. Vokoun had serious blood clot issues that shut him down. Hasn't played in a year and he's 38 years old. Yikes.

Yep, neither is an upgrade on Lack so why bother. Miller definitely represents the best chance of getting this team into the playoffs. I'm just not a big fan of it because I don't want them there ( ;) ). I'm fairly confident they won't anyway, not without a serious upgrade at center imo.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Meds wrote: If Edler is our top pairing guy on the left, I'm not sure who he plays with.
Vancouver hasn't had a "top pairing" in all the years the defensive core of Hamhuis, Bieksa and Edler have been around. Why would they start now?

The foursome of Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler and Tanev will all get around 22-23 mins a game. Stanton and Sbisa will play 15 minutes or so.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

mathonwy wrote: I wish we still had Garrison.

Our PP is going to be horrendous this season. :(
Ummm... our PP was horrendous while Garrison was here the past 2 seasons! :hmmm:

I'm starting to wonder if you're the lovechild of RD and Loopy...

Vrbata and Bonino are here now and both are awesome on the PP.

Nowhere to go but up pretty much. :thumbs:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

mathonwy wrote: Hiller at 4.5M allows us to be competitive, helps protect Eddie Lack and gives us cap flexibility. He also signed for 2 years which is the exact term that would have made the most sense.

Hiller's play has been deteriorating for 3 years now.

He played himself right out of Anaheim, beaten out by 2 rookies.

And ask any Duck fan about his bad attitude (lets in soft goals and then blames his dee).

Miller is a year older than Hiller and has played almost twice as many games.

There are reasons for this.

LOL at the Rubber Diaper Gang!!

We snare the consensus-best UFA goalie to a short-term deal and it's...

"We signed the wrong goalie" :scowl:

"WAAAH we coulda had the 4th best Duck goalie or 42-yr-old Broduer or Blood Clot Vokoun!!" :lol:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Island Nucklehead wrote: it wouldn't surprise me to see the Canucks try someone like Vey out on the point, given Tanev's seeming lack of playmaking ability.
At this point I've been wondering if he might try Bonino/Vrbata on the point.

Bonino played some there last season.

RHS Vrbata played some on the left point earlier in his career (has a fantastic shot).

But hey it's early, perhaps Jimbo is yet to bring in a true PP QB! :thumbs:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

I'm guessing Jensen and Horvat will earn spots, IF so...

Sedin – Sedin - Vrbata
Jensen – Bonino - Kassian
Higgins – Horvat - Burrows
Matthias – Richardson – Dorsett
Vey
Sestito

Hansen to the Jets for a 2nd.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

herb wrote:
Meds wrote: If Edler is our top pairing guy on the left, I'm not sure who he plays with.
Vancouver hasn't had a "top pairing" in all the years the defensive core of Hamhuis, Bieksa and Edler have been around. Why would they start now?

The foursome of Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler and Tanev will all get around 22-23 mins a game. Stanton and Sbisa will play 15 minutes or so.

It is interesting on defence. Benning a has said he sees Edler as a number one with Norris potential. He said he sees Sbisa as a top 4. He told Garrison he didn't fit into the long term, or short term for that matter, plans with the Canucks as Tanev was moving into the top 4. So by Benning's math we have 5 top 4, Tanev, Edler, Sbisa, Hamhuis and Bieksa, with 3 bottom two in Stanton, Weber and Corrado. That's 8 defencemen for 6 spots plus a spare, all of whom need to clear waivers if waived. So are we carrying 8 D'men this season? Barring a move looks like it. I see room for a move back there.

Up front we know we are 1-2 bodies too many if we want to see any of the kids play. I think Bennng has created a ton of competition for several spots and expect we see moves after camp and before the season starts. Other than Jensen is anyone waiver exempt on this team?

Oh, and we are carrying 3 goalies, non of whom are waiver exempt. Something has to give. This could be the year we lose our Stanton on waivers, like Corrado and or Markstrom types.

Good asset management would dictate that Benning make a move or two.
The only HW the Canucks need
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote: It is interesting on defence. Benning a has said he sees Edler as a number one with Norris potential. He said he sees Sbisa as a top 4. He told Garrison he didn't fit into the long term, or short term for that matter, plans with the Canucks as Tanev was moving into the top 4. So by Benning's math we have 5 top 4, Tanev, Edler, Sbisa, Hamhuis and Bieksa, with 3 bottom two in Stanton, Weber and Corrado. That's 8 defencemen for 6 spots plus a spare, all of whom need to clear waivers if waived. So are we carrying 8 D'men this season? Barring a move looks like it. I see room for a move back there.
Corrado does not need to clear waivers.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Strangelove wrote:.

Sedin – Sedin - Vrbata
Vey
Sestito

G&M Ebner's says that Linden and Benning want Horvat to pay a "role" on the roster. So, he's pencilled in on the roster and it would be a major disappointment, IMO, if he's not good enough to crack the roster for the season,

via: https://twitter.com/DavidEbner/status/4 ... 8082074624

:mex:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Betamax wrote: G&M Ebner's says...
Who the heck is Abner and why the heck should we care about anything he hecking says? :mex:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

Strangelove wrote:
Betamax wrote: G&M Ebner's says...
Who the heck is Abner :mex:
Probably a buddy of Connor McHindu
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Betamax wrote:
Strangelove wrote:.

Sedin – Sedin - Vrbata
Vey
Sestito

G&M Ebner's says that Linden and Benning want Horvat to pay a "role" on the roster. So, he's pencilled in on the roster and it would be a major disappointment, IMO, if he's not good enough to crack the roster for the season,

via: https://twitter.com/DavidEbner/status/4 ... 8082074624

:mex:
I'm along the same lines, think Horvat makes the team but not sure what happened s around him. I think Jannik likely stays on Horvat's line given he can help with the transition better than Vey can. Sestito will be a bit part, and I'm not sure Jensen makes the team full time out of camp.

Lots of possibilities, I'm hoping at last one and maybe two of the kids make the lineup.