2014/15 Line Up projections

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Re: 2014/15 Line Up projections

Post by Rumsfeld »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:If Horvat can't make this year's shitty squad then he's not the player Gillis and co sold him as.

I think they really want to get him some NHL games this season so I expect he'll start the season with the big club.
I'd tend to agree, and I'm fairly sure he'll get his 9 game window.

But remember Horvat isn't considered to be an elite offensive talent, so I highly doubt he'll crack the top-6, and the defensive side of the game is pretty tough when you're 19. He's certainly got the size to match up against NHL players, but I'm a bit leary of expecting too much too soon.

IMO another year in junior, honing the offensive toolbox, wouldn't be the worst thing for the kid. This team is desperate for top-6 talent, and fairly well supplied with tweeners and bottom-6 guys.

Hopefully he impresses at camp and sticks, that only means good things for us moving forward.
Yeah, I'd like to see him get a shot at the third-line center slot. He seems like the kind of kid who can handle the rigours of board play and is responsible on the defensive side of the puck.

Even if he doesn't blow the coaches away with a great camp I could see him making big strides in his 9-game window.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

SKYO wrote:The unlikely but awesome if it happens lineup, just adding Jensen and Horvat.

Sedins - Vrbata
Burrows - Bonino - Jensen
Vey - Horvat - Kassian
Matthias - Richardson - Higgins
Tito
I don't think that's unlikely at all, although I would configure the wingers differently and there's no Hansen in your lineup.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

I'd be totally on board with keeping Horvat around, provided he doesn't look like total dog shit in camp (he won't).

If there was ever a year to loosen the reins a bit and let the kids loose a bit, this would be it.

Canucks are building the "Change is coming" expectation. Well, let's see the god damn change then.
Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds »

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Burrows - Bonino - Kassian
Higgins - Horvat - Jensen
Matthias - Richardson - Dorsett

or.....

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Burrows - Bonino - Kassian
Matthias - Horvat - Jensen
Dorsett - Richardson - Hansen

One of Hansen or Higgins will be traded, if not then Richardson will be waived to make space and Matthias will center the 4th line.

Edler - _____
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Stanton - Tanev

If Edler is our top pairing guy on the left, I'm not sure who he plays with. I don't think him and Tanev are a good fit, for one I don't think Tanev is quite ready for top pairing duty, and neither of them are offensively gifted when it comes to moving the puck quickly at the point to QB an offense. I do think that Tanev can slot in there on an interim basis, he's defensively responsible enough to balance Edler. This leads me to think that perhaps Burrows is on the move in a package for a defenseman. That I didn't hear even a rumor about a pitch to Ehrhoff or Niskanen. Would have required some roster juggling, but both Hansen and Higgins could have been moved to clear some space, just get 2nd-4th round picks for them. Our blueline is still a bit of a question mark for me in this regard.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Ok... I'm going to say it.

I wish we still had Garrison.

He's not the most fleet of foot defenseman but he's a solid guy that can take a beating and is not a defensive liability.

He also gave us the option of a point shot on the PP.

Our PP is going to be horrendous this season. :(
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Jensen - Bonino - Kassian
Burrows - Horvat - Higgins
Matthias - Richardson - Hansen

Sestito - Vey - Dorsett

So yeah if Jensen and Horvat make the team then Hansen or Higgins has to go (Hansen most likely). Dorsett takes Hansen's 4th-line RW spot and Vey and Sestito are the extras.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Meds wrote:If Edler is our top pairing guy on the left, I'm not sure who he plays with. I don't think him and Tanev are a good fit, for one I don't think Tanev is quite ready for top pairing duty, and neither of them are offensively gifted when it comes to moving the puck quickly at the point to QB an offense. I do think that Tanev can slot in there on an interim basis, he's defensively responsible enough to balance Edler.
It really depends how Willie allocates special teams time, IMO.

Tanev played 17:31/game EV last season, while Edler played 18:14. Not that far apart, especially if Tanev is to eat some of Garrison's 16 minutes EV time.

Edler played nearly 3 minutes on the PP per game under Torts, and I'd expect that to stay similar under Willie. Garrison munched 2:40/game and he's gone. I'd expect Bieksa and Hamhuis to get healthy PP bumps. Tanev played 0:12/game on the PP, and I don't see that increasing dramatically if Weber is dressed. Even if he isn't, it wouldn't surprise me to see the Canucks try someone like Vey out on the point, given Tanev's seeming lack of playmaking ability.

Tanev and Hamhuis both logged over 3mins of PK time per game last year. So I'd expect him to at least platoon with Hamhuis, or maybe even anchor the 2nd PP unit with a guy like Sbisa.

Basically, at even strength I can definitely see the Canucks doing a 1A/1B defence pairing, where the top-4 pretty much share much of the ice time load. There seems to be a fairly dramatic drop-off in abilities when going to Stanton-Sbisa-Weber.
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

Rumsfeld wrote:
SKYO wrote:The unlikely but awesome if it happens lineup, just adding Jensen and Horvat.

Sedins - Vrbata
Burrows - Bonino - Jensen
Vey - Horvat - Kassian
Matthias - Richardson - Higgins
Tito
I don't think that's unlikely at all, although I would configure the wingers differently and there's no Hansen in your lineup.
Nice, what I like about this lineup besides finally getting some young guns inserted, is that there are many versatile players who can play CENTER and wing with Bonino, Vey, Matthias and Horvat.

In any case, Hansen doesn't fit, Higgins scoring versatility is needed much more than Hansen's forechecking ability, it was awful seeing Hansen trying to score and failing miserably a lot last season, at least Higgy can pass and setup plays which will be helpful for the younger guys stepping in.

**With all those center/wingers we should never see Richardson as our 2nd line center again, lol you remember that fellas? & ladies...smh
Last edited by SKYO on Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

mathonwy wrote:Ok... I'm going to say it.

It comes down to would you rather have Miller or Garrison. Salary had to be moved to get the former and we get a 22 y.o. forward with a bit of potential in the exchange. Still have to trim a bit more salary to make it all work but this is an excellent exchange if you're on the camp that wants to see us in the playoffs this year (not that we'll get there).

I'm personally not sorry to see Garrison go. I think his defensive game is pretty overrated as he looked lost quite often last year. But to be fair he had a lot of company.
sagebrush
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by sagebrush »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Edler played nearly 3 minutes on the PP per game under Torts, and I'd expect that to stay similar under Willie. Garrison munched 2:40/game and he's gone. I'd expect Bieksa and Hamhuis to get healthy PP bumps. Tanev played 0:12/game on the PP, and I don't see that increasing dramatically if Weber is dressed. Even if he isn't, it wouldn't surprise me to see the Canucks try someone like Vey out on the point, given Tanev's seeming lack of playmaking ability.

Tanev and Hamhuis both logged over 3mins of PK time per game last year. So I'd expect him to at least platoon with Hamhuis, or maybe even anchor the 2nd PP unit with a guy like Sbisa.
Desjardins likes to be aggressive, so we may see a 1st PP unit of Sedins, Kassian, Vrbata, Edler. Risky stuff, & it reduces the need for more PP time for the other Dmen.
Last edited by sagebrush on Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Nuckertuzzi wrote:

It comes down to would you rather have Miller or Garrison. Salary had to be moved to get the former and we get a 22 y.o. forward with a bit of potential in the exchange. Still have to trim a bit more salary to make it all work but this is an excellent exchange if you're on the camp that wants to see us in the playoffs this year (not that we'll get there).

I'm personally not sorry to see Garrison go. I think his defensive game is pretty overrated as he looked lost quite often last year. But to be fair he had a lot of company.
I haven't done the numbers so I'll take your word on that.

Instead of Miller, how about Vokoun at 2? Or Hiller at 4.5? Or Brodeur at 4.5? (assuming he'll come out to the west).

This is one of the reasons why I am unhappy with the Miller signing. There's no reason to tie up 6M in net considering the state our team is in.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Nuckertuzzi wrote:

I think it comes down to redundancy. How much cap do you want tied up in your bottom pairing? With Tanev proving capable of top-4 minutes, and demanding top-4 money, and guys like Stanton and Corrado in the system, with Sbisa coming on board. Garrison and his contract became very expendable.

Given some of the UFA money/term handed out to forwards, I'm fine with spending that upgrade in net. Miller was the best goalie on the market, and the Canucks signed him.
mathonwy wrote:Instead of Miller, how about Vokoun at 2? Or Hiller at 4.5? Or Brodeur at 4.5? (assuming he'll come out to the west).
Brodeur is done. Vokoun had serious blood clot issues that shut him down. Hasn't played in a year and he's 38 years old. Yikes. Hiller isn't a bad deal, but Miller is better and for a Mike Santorelli I figure it's worth the upgrade. 3 years might be 1 too long but that's the price of dealing with UFA's.
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

SKYO wrote:In any case, Hansen doesn't fit, Higgins scoring versatility is needed much more than Hansen's forechecking ability, it was awful seeing Hansen trying to score and failing miserably a lot last season, at least Higgy can pass and setup plays which will be helpful for the younger guys stepping in.

But if Higgy isn't doing those things he becomes invisible and quite useless. Hansen doesn't need to be an offensive player to be effective on the 3rd/4th lines, thus I'd think he'd be better suited there than Higgy imo. That's my biggest issue with Higgins, he's not quite good enough to be a good top 6 player, nor is his game really suited for bottom 6.

Really though, I could care less if we lose either guy or both.
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

Nuckertuzzi wrote:

Uhh no . It comes down to whether you wanted to keep Edler , Hamhuis or Garrison .
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
mathonwy wrote:Instead of Miller, how about Vokoun at 2? Or Hiller at 4.5? Or Brodeur at 4.5? (assuming he'll come out to the west).
Brodeur is done. Vokoun had serious blood clot issues that shut him down. Hasn't played in a year and he's 38 years old. Yikes. Hiller isn't a bad deal, but Miller is better and for a Mike Santorelli I figure it's worth the upgrade. 3 years might be 1 too long but that's the price of dealing with UFA's.
I don't think you and I have agreed on one thing yet! :lol: :thumbs:

Brodeur isn't done until he retires or is seriously injured. Neither has happened yet so Brodeur is still on the table.

Vokoun is a question mark no doubt about it. He's also extremely cheap so he's a very low risk signing.

Hiller at 4.5M allows us to be competitive, helps protect Eddie Lack and gives us cap flexibility. He also signed for 2 years which is the exact term that would have made the most sense.

We signed the wrong goalie IMO.