2014/15 Line Up projections

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: 2014/15 Line Up projections

Post by Hockey Widow »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: It is interesting on defence. Benning a has said he sees Edler as a number one with Norris potential. He said he sees Sbisa as a top 4. He told Garrison he didn't fit into the long term, or short term for that matter, plans with the Canucks as Tanev was moving into the top 4. So by Benning's math we have 5 top 4, Tanev, Edler, Sbisa, Hamhuis and Bieksa, with 3 bottom two in Stanton, Weber and Corrado. That's 8 defencemen for 6 spots plus a spare, all of whom need to clear waivers if waived. So are we carrying 8 D'men this season? Barring a move looks like it. I see room for a move back there.
Corrado does not need to clear waivers.

Thanks for that. That solves any problem on the back end. Send Corrado to Utica and we have our 7 D'men, barring a Myers trade :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need
bckev
CC Veteran

Post by bckev »

Sanguinetti could be this years Stanton, which could make it real interesting. I would like to see Corrado get another year in the minors.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

bckev wrote:Sanguinetti could be this years Stanton, which could make it real interesting. I would like to see Corrado get another year in the minors.
Hey bckev, you have any smelling salts handy?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Betamax wrote:
Strangelove wrote:.

I'm guessing Jensen and Horvat will earn spots, IF so...

Sedin – Sedin - Vrbata
Jensen – Bonino - Kassian
Higgins – Horvat - Burrows
Matthias – Richardson – Dorsett
Vey
Sestito

Hansen to the Jets for a 2nd.
G&M Ebner's says that Linden and Benning want Horvat to pay a "role" on the roster. So, he's pencilled in on the roster and it would be a major disappointment, IMO, if he's not good enough to crack the roster for the season,

via: https://twitter.com/DavidEbner/status/4 ... 8082074624

:mex:
This the one area of change I really want to see from the new regime versus the Gillis regime. We have to start weening the kids into the lineup, and they have to learn to live with their rookie mistakes. If this doesn't change then nothing will change from the Gillis era to the Benning era. There is no reason why Horvat should not be on the team this coming season. Fellow Horvat draft mates - McKinnon, Barkov, Monahan, Jones, Lindholm, Ritsolainen and Nichushkin got thrown into the fire. Throw Bo in. Nurse and Drouin are pretty much a given to make the cut this coming season. That would be all of the top 10 draft picks of 2013 making the cut, absolutey no excuses for not weening Horvat into the lineup. Zadarov is guaranteed to make the Sabres line up this season as well.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Diehard1 wrote:
Betamax wrote:
Strangelove wrote:.

I'm guessing Jensen and Horvat will earn spots, IF so...

Sedin – Sedin - Vrbata
Jensen – Bonino - Kassian
Higgins – Horvat - Burrows
Matthias – Richardson – Dorsett
Vey
Sestito

Hansen to the Jets for a 2nd.
G&M Ebner's says that Linden and Benning want Horvat to pay a "role" on the roster. So, he's pencilled in on the roster and it would be a major disappointment, IMO, if he's not good enough to crack the roster for the season,

via: https://twitter.com/DavidEbner/status/4 ... 8082074624

:mex:
I'm along the same lines, think Horvat makes the team but not sure what happened s around him. I think Jannik likely stays on Horvat's line given he can help with the transition better than Vey can. Sestito will be a bit part, and I'm not sure Jensen makes the team full time out of camp.

Lots of possibilities, I'm hoping at last one and maybe two of the kids make the lineup.
The problem (not his fault) with Horvat is that he is forever linked with The Cory.

Michael D. Gillis, uh, "lost the plot" and sent a bad message when he fire saled The Cory for futures and not present.

I mean who can blame Kesler for wanting out, when he sees management not icing the best team possible during the here and now? I mean if you had to deal away The Cory who was the reiging team MVP, get an NHL ready top-6 caliber winger for Kesler to play with, not a bunch of bottom-6 caliber guys that turned that line into a "helicoptor."

Kinda ironic that in back to back years, the Canucks have traded their team's MVP. :mex:
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote:There is no reason why Horvat should not be on the team this coming season. Fellow Horvat draft mates - McKinnon, Barkov, Monahan, Jones, Lindholm, Ritsolainen and Nichushkin got thrown into the fire. Throw Bo in. Nurse and Drouin are pretty much a given to make the cut this coming season. That would be all of the top 10 draft picks of 2013 making the cut, absolutey no excuses for not weening Horvat into the lineup. Zadarov is guaranteed to make the Sabres line up this season as well.
Nurse probably won't make the Oilers this season, barring a trade. Edmonton has Nikitin, Ference, Fayne, Petry, Schultz, Aulie and Marincin.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata
Burrows-Bonino-Kassian
Hansen-Vey-Higgins
Matthias-Richardson-Dorsett
Sestito
Upon further review, barring any trades, I think this is close to the opening lineup.

Although I think Horvat survives the cut, and if so Sestito is dumped.

I think they want to roll 4 lines and Sestito isn't up for the extra minutes.

Sedin – Sedin – Vrbata
Burrows – Bonino – Kassian
Higgins – Vey – Hansen
Matthias – Richardson/Horvat – Dorsett
Richardson/Horvat

That 4th line can easily handle 10+ minutes.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Strangelove wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote: Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata
Burrows-Bonino-Kassian
Hansen-Vey-Higgins
Matthias-Richardson-Dorsett
Sestito
Upon further review, barring any trades, I think this is close to the opening lineup.

Although I think Horvat survives the cut, and if so Sestito is dumped.

I think they want to roll 4 lines and Sestito isn't up for the extra minutes.

Sedin – Sedin – Vrbata
Burrows – Bonino – Kassian
Higgins – Vey – Hansen
Matthias – Richardson/Horvat – Dorsett
Richardson/Horvat

That 4th line can easily handle 10+ minutes.
I gotta think Sestito will make the cut and at least be on the roster as the team's HW, so he can uhhh, deliver a couple of pillow punches to the likes of a Jordan Nolan and then have some idiots out there declare that at least that was some kind of "morale victory" ............. If Bo makes the team, I would figure that someone like Mattias, Hansen or Richardson is moved.

8-)
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Dorsett is not a heavyweight, but he is more than willing to do the dirty work.

And he can handle the extra minutes.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Strangelove wrote:Dorsett is not a heavyweight, but he is more than willing to do the dirty work.

And he can handle the extra minutes.
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, that's not the Boston Bruins model to have a sacrificial lamb get his ass kicked on a regular basis.

I submit the following:

http://dropyourgloves.com/Fights/FightC ... ayer=13851

I see a lot of L ........

:hmmm:
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Now, Sestito, via:

http://dropyourgloves.com/Fights/FightC ... ayer=11317

in terms of W/L didn't do much better but he did face much tougher, HW competition:

:hmmm:
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

I'm thinking Jensen and Horvat make the team and Hansen is moved for a 2nd before October to make room.

D.Sedin H.Sedin Vrbata
Jensen Bonino Kassian
Higgins Horvat Burrows
Matthias Richardson Dorsett -- Vey Sestito

Hamhuis Bieksa
Edler Tanev
Stanton Sbisa - Weber

Miller
Lack

Deal Edler, Burrows, Higgins, Richardson and Weber at the deadline if we're out of it.* Load the fuck up on 2015 firsts, seconds and thirds -- and the rebuild will be complete.

*Spoiler alert.... we will be
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Unless Horvat really blows everyone away at camp I'm all for sending him back to junior. Richardson has one year left on his deal and he was pretty useful for us last year. I'd rather keep his experience around this year and let him walk as a FA next year, opening up a roster spot. Now I suppose if a Benning could trade him for a third or fourth round pick clearing a roster spot for a deserving Horvat ok.

Hansen has a limited NTC so he is moveable too so I could see that working as well.
The only HW the Canucks need
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote:Unless Horvat really blows everyone away at camp I'm all for sending him back to junior. Richardson has one year left on his deal and he was pretty useful for us last year. I'd rather keep his experience around this year and let him walk as a FA next year, opening up a roster spot. Now I suppose if a Benning could trade him for a third or fourth round pick clearing a roster spot for a deserving Horvat ok.

Hansen has a limited NTC so he is moveable too so I could see that working as well.
It's fairly obvious (to me at least), that Benning has set things up so that the kids will not be thrust into the NHL unless they are ready. It's better to have to ship out a veteran because a prospect is ready, than have to find a veteran because a prospect isn't.

If Horvat shines, that's fantastic news for the Franchise because he's proven he can out-duel a bona-fide NHL'er for NHL ice time. Guys like Shinkaruk, Jensen, Gaunce etc., I'm more than happy letting season on the farm. More TOI, no pressure, actual talent to call up when injuries occur. S'all good.

The days of Darren Archibald-esque call-ups when a skill player like Daniel Sedin goes down are over...
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Hockey Widow wrote:Unless Horvat really blows everyone away at camp I'm all for sending him back to junior. Richardson has one year left on his deal and he was pretty useful for us last year. I'd rather keep his experience around this year and let him walk as a FA next year, opening up a roster spot. Now I suppose if a Benning could trade him for a third or fourth round pick clearing a roster spot for a deserving Horvat ok.

If Horvat isn't considered good enough to crack this roster ... it would be one of the biggest disappointments/stories this Training Camp.

I'm thinking he'll be given every chance to make the team. The fact that it's either the NHL or back to junior would make me think he gets to start the season with the big team unless his plays clearly shows he's not good enough to stick around. 8-)