Canucks sign Radim Vrbata

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks sign Radim Vrbata

Post by SKYO »

Boston Canucker wrote:
SKYO wrote:Used to coming in 2nd place for UFA's - this is a nice feeling.

Today the Sharks sign John Scott & we sign Vrbata hahaha.

Burrows or Hansen, guessing JB probably has a trade in place I bet just waiting to see if he landed a good UFA first, not the MG way, trade for a player then go fishing for a UFA.
Ballard-->Hamhuis.

Reason to trade Burr and/or Hansen is to get this team younger, gotta make way for Kassian and Jensen they are ready for a 2nd/3rd line RW spot, I can see maybe Burrows playing 2nd line LW spot though, as Vrbata will play with the Sedins.
I think Hansen is the one to go. There's a lot more 3rd/4th liners on this team now, making Hansen more redundant. Benning may be hoping Burrows can regain his scoring touch, plus he's a more flexible guy for the lineup.
Trade Hansen, sign Santos.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Terms of the contract:

2 years, 4 million per in salary with 1 million in bonus per, guessing that is a signing bonus not performance based, so he gets a full million now and then again July 1st, 2015. Cap hit is still 5 per.

Limited NTC, don't know the terms.

Production wise, over the last two years he has just over the points Kesler produced with less TOI. RW shot who plays on the PP. So he replaces Kesler's production for the same cap hit, and wore number #17 in the desert. He won't replace Kesler's heart and I doubt he has a beast mode :mrgreen:

Like this signing. The term is fantastic and if we are not a playoff team he becomes moveable for a draft pick, maybe a 2nd. The term buys us time for the kids to develop, and if the chemistry is there with the twins it could be a great fit. He may end up with such over inflated numbers he can get a retirement contract in two years :mrgreen:

Once we sign all our RFA we will be up against the cap. Fully expect some trades, salary/cap/contract dumps to clear space. We no longer are positioned to take a contract for a cap strapped team at this point but we could be if a couple of contracts are moved.

Given all the roster spots currently filled, no room for the kids just yet.

On Iginla. We offered same contract 2 years at 5 per. The AV's stepped up and were the only team to offer 3 years. We were close I hear to getting Iggy and if Benning had matched the 3 years he was set to sign here, same promise, they were targeting someone specifically to play with the twins. What does this mean for Burrows? Either he fits on the second line with Bonino or.....too much cap for a third liner.
Last edited by Hockey Widow on Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only HW the Canucks need
Rede
CC Veteran

Post by Rede »

Like this signing - the cap hit doesn't bug me since its a short term deal.

Now, we really need a puck-mover to play with Edler. And if Kane really does want out of the 'peg I hope they're kicking the tires on him... (Wonder if Lack+Hansen+ for Kane even gets 'em listening...)
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Hockey Widow wrote:Terms of the contract:

2 years, 4 million per in salary with 1 million in bonus per, guessing that is a signing bonus not performance based, so he gets a full million now and then again July 1st, 2015. Cap hit is still 5 per.

Production wise, over the last two years he has just over the points Kesler produced with less TOI. RW shot who plays on the PP. So he replaces Kesler's production for the same cap hit, and wore number #17 in the desert. He won't replace Kesler's heart and I doubt he has a beast mode :mrgreen:
LOL ... given the fact that Kesler was the most popular Canucks' player (in terms of jerseys' you see fans wearing at games) but left on somewhat "bad" terms, it would be good P.R. if the Canucks offered "free" alterations for fans who want to replace Kesler's nameplate on their jerseys with Vrbata's. :mex:
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Betamax wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Terms of the contract:

LOL ... given the fact that Kesler was the most popular Canucks' player (in terms of jerseys' you see fans wearing at games) but left on somewhat "bad" terms, it would be good P.R. if the Canucks offered "free" alterations for fans who want to replace Kesler's nameplate on their jerseys with Vrbata's. :mex:
OMG , I love that idea. Have a Vrbata nameplate night the first date that the Ducks are in town.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Rumsfeld wrote:Burrows is done.
Sorry homey but Trevor don't play that.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

So you have the:

Sedins, Sedins, Vrbata - 1st line
Kassian, Bonino, Burrows - 2nd line
Matthias, Vey, Higgins - 3rd line
Sestito, Richardson, Dorsett - 4th line

Where does that leave

Hansen
Jensen

Don't see where a rookie like Gaunce or Horvat get in the line-up, let alone Jensen.

Has to be some more trimming to come

Anyhow, like the term on this one alot, by the time he's done, some of the kids should be ready to make an impact. At that term and scoring ability, he's a good filler until some of the rookie forwards are ready to go
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Great signing. I <3 it.

Good term. Good money. Good player.

He's the heavy weight version of Mason Raymond.

Very good.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Mondi wrote:People who want Burrows out are idiots. One bad year and they want him outta here... fuck that. He's a heart and soul guy who's scored some huge goals for this franchise. You don't treat a guy like that after one bad and injury-riddled season. Jesus.

Especially if your answer is Vrbata. Yikes.
Stop trying to pry sensibility into the senseless. It's futile
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

RoyalDude wrote:So you have the:

Where does that leave

Hansen
Jensen

Don't see where a rookie like Gaunce or Horvat get in the line-up, let alone Jensen.

Anyhow, like the term on this one alot, by the time he's done, some of the kids should be ready to make an impact. At that term and scoring ability, he's a good filler until some of the rookie forwards are ready to go
And at that point of time, the cap will have continued to go up and if it goes well the next couple years, we may be looking at our next elite 3rd liner in the 2016-17 season. Sort of like how Chris Kelly is for Boston.
kelowna kanuck
CC Veteran

Post by kelowna kanuck »

I like this idea. Nicely played. nicely played

LOL ... given the fact that Kesler was the most popular Canucks' player (in terms of jerseys' you see fans wearing at games) but left on somewhat "bad" terms, it would be good P.R. if the Canucks offered "free" alterations for fans who want to replace Kesler's nameplate on their jerseys with Vrbata's. :mex:[/quote]
more cap space!
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

With our luck, just as all these contracts come off the books, Vrbata, Miller, then the Sedins x2, Loungo will decide to retire!!
sagebrush
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by sagebrush »

Where does that leave

Hansen
Jensen

If they're prioritizing the development of young players, Richardson could be gone to make room for Horvat/Jensen.
The recent kick in of Hansen's NTC, raises the probability of Higgins leaving. He has value in a trade.
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I'm hoping for Burrows to have a great year, we are a seller at the deadline and Burrows becomes a sought after commodity for a playoff contender at the deadline. It's possible you know. At 33 years of age, if we are out of the playoffs and Burrows has a rockin rebound year, it's almost a given he is traded then and for a pretty good return.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Where does that leave

Hansen
Jensen

Benning would likely prefer to have Guance, Shinkaruk, and possibly Jensen (although he might be the exception) earn it and develop in Utica for at least two years. It would be the right move. Horvat has to make the team or go back to juniors. Bridge deals like this help in lessening the need to rush young guys.