CANUCKS SIGN RYAN MILLER

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: CANUCKS SIGN RYAN MILLER

Post by Cornuck »

Hmmmm - so we get a good a goalie are people are pissed that we won't suck enough.

We get a good goalie and people are pissed that our unproven rookies won't get to play 82 games this year.

We get a good goalie and people are pissed that we signed him for one extra year?

Personally, I would have liked a LaBarbara type solution to help the fort, but I'll live with a quality guy in net to mentor Lack for another couple of years. We have cap space, so it doesn't really hurt us.

I'm looking forward to continuation of good to great goal tending for the next few years.

(I haven't forgotten the Cloutier years).
2019-20 - Playoff Bound

sagebrush
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by sagebrush »

BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Cornuck wrote:Hmmmm - so we get a good a goalie are people are pissed that we won't suck enough.
On a similar note, some Nuck fans are so bi-polar it's a bit difficult to take seriously.

Either they're cup contenders, or they're in 30th place. Anything between those two extremes, fuck them, right? What is management thinking trying to make it into the playoffs? This must be ownership interference, right?

Did people really think Benning was going to take over the team with Linden, and their plan was to figure out how to screw up the existing roster enough to ensure 30th place?
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.

Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote:...crop...
I actually can't tell if you're being serious there Wids.....

The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP

Post by The Brown Wizard »

Well given the quality of the top 2 picks coming up next draft....we were hoping!

I understand the goal of every NHL franchise has to be to win but with the sedins decline exponentially gaining speed and no secondary scoring WHATSOEVER to speak of, anything other than resigning to the rebuild is damaging the future of the franchise. Period.
Tank this one year and go for McJesus or Eichel. Build around either of those blue chippers and the supporting cast were growing in the farm. That is what needs to happen for this franchise to return to contention.

For those who haven't read up on Jack Eichel:
http://unitedstatesofhockey.com/2014/04 ... ing-about/
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...

CorranHorn
CC Veteran

Post by CorranHorn »

There's more than one way to skin a whale...

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Meds wrote: I actually can't tell if you're being serious there Wids.....
I was mimicking . Doing by best pessimistic bed wetting impression.
The only HW the Canucks need

BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Uncle dans leg wrote:Tank this one year and go for McJesus or Eichel. Build around either of those blue chippers and the supporting cast were growing in the farm. That is what needs to happen for this franchise to return to contention.
I understand the desire to draft Eichel or McDavid, but... The regular season hasn't even started yet, and you want the team to crash and burn. To the point that some "fans" seem ticked off Benning is even trying to improve the team. Who in their right minds thinks a rookie GM and a rookie coach are going to come in and "tanking it" is even going to be in their vocabulary?
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.

ukcanuck
CC Legend

Post by ukcanuck »

Colour me mystified at all the long time Canuck fans on here who actually think that tanking would get the Canucks a first or second overall pick.
Or That if they did actually pick there, that either of the two consensus picks would actually pan out and not be the second coming of Doug wickenheiser...

When has Canuck luck ever worked so easily???

Cheering for the Canucks to not improve in any meaningful sense seems to be an act of clutching at straws.

On the flipside, am I the only one who thinks that a rebound year is coming for many Canuck core players?
Last season's coaching change was a complete disaster with the core completely malcoached.

The team has by all reports; a sane and reasonable coach, has cut out the deadwood and malcontents, instilled a new sense of hope and youth movement and added a vezina goaltender.
Maybe on paper they don't match up to with cream of the west, but fuck it, there is a reason they play the gameS

ukcanuck
CC Legend

Post by ukcanuck »

Hockey Widow wrote: I was mimicking . Doing by best pessimistic bed wetting impression.
Nice try, but I never bought it.. :)

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I call a truce. Let's all wait until camp and see what unfolds. One thing that makes this board great is the varying degree of opinion and the acute hockey sense, for the most part. We have some great personalities too. I won't be the eternal apologist supporter if others will stop being perpetual naysayers, no matter what the GM does I have to find fault pessimists.

I set Nov 1 2014 as the first annual free for all debate fest were no rules apply where people can drink all the koolaid they want or circulate a petition to have Linden and Benning run out of town.

In other words we are get polarized and it's only July 2nd :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need

Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

We can look at it this way...new management just cleaned up the Luongo mess.

I've always thought of Miller as the American version of Luongo for a variety of reasons that I'm sure you can all fig out. So to me it's almost exactly like getting Luongo back while correcting the absurd contract we handed him. Lu for 3 more years at 6 per is far more palatable than the one he "claimed" would tear up if he could. So we get a reasonable facsimile of Lu back less the anchor.

Bonus is we get a good 3rd liner and prospect in goal for free without having to return 'em.

Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

That's not to say I like the deal, it's just one way to look at it.

I share the common opinion that we need to finish near the bottom this year. Not interested in the playoffs the next couple years. I want a Cup and the fastest route there is through the draft with real blue chip picks to lead our group of mid level picks. Trades, UFA signings and more mediocre picks will only prolong the drought.

Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

BurningBeard wrote:I understand the desire to draft Eichel or McDavid, but... The regular season hasn't even started yet, and you want the team to crash and burn. To the point that some "fans" seem ticked off Benning is even trying to improve the team. Who in their right minds thinks a rookie GM and a rookie coach are going to come in and "tanking it" is even going to be in their vocabulary?
This is part of the reason why the Cup hasn't crossed the border in 21 years. The pressure from owners, media and fans to stay competitive is too great for anybody to tank it. Though the Oilers have done a good job, so good they even somehow managed to bungle their own rebuild.

That's the problem. Management teams always work toward improving their teams because they have to, but they're so driven that they don't realize the moves they make are often detrimental to actually building a champion.

Hiller and Raymond barely makes a dent in the Flames' longterm Cup hopes. Why do it then? To show you're trying to do something and to sell a bit of hope, a few extra tickets and some confidence in the new regime
there. 98% of the moves today haven't really impacted their team's Cup chances...yet they gotta show people they're trying.

kelowna kanuck
CC Veteran

Post by kelowna kanuck »

The Miller signing is part of the foundational philosophy of this management team to build offense beginning with a solid defensive system. And obviously if your goalie isn't stopping pucks you are starting from center ice way too often.
As others have noted, you are NOT going to start a season with two rookie goalies. Period.
And let us not forget, as we throw around UFA salaries like they are monopoly money.... this is real $$$. USD to top it off. We are already paying more than10% higher in salary cost based on the decline from above par of the Cdn dollare vs U.S. over the past year or so.
Remember all you tank it pundits, this is also a BUSINESS. The Waterboys may have deep deep pockets, but first and foremost, they are businessmen.
Finally, one of the reasons athletes become pro athletes is because of their drive, competitiveness and very large egos.
There isn't a single guy on the Canucks, that after last year's embarrassing clusterfuck, isn't coming back to prove something,,,, to the fans,,,, and most importantly, to themselves.
34 deg here today in ktown, and loving every single fucking degree of it.
more cap space!