CANUCKS SIGN RYAN MILLER

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: CANUCKS SIGN RYAN MILLER

Post by Hockey Widow » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:15 pm

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
ClamRussel wrote: We can only hope Markstrom's value has slipped so he doesn't get plucked off waivers, but I highly doubt it.
We can still flip Markstrom for a pick/prospect right? Benning has lots of time to make a deal for Marky Mark. :P

Not really sure who is in the market for an unproven back up. Same goes for waivers. If a team claims him they can't waive him right away. Time will tell.
The only HW the Canucks need

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:18 pm

ClamRussel wrote: We'll never know how Lack-Markstrom would have fared together.
Oh we'll have a pretty good idea in a few years depending on how they do.

(the cream always rises to the top)

(or not)
ClamRussel wrote: We can only hope Markstrom's value has slipped so he doesn't get plucked off waivers, but I highly doubt it.
We could trade him for a pick or include him in a larger deal.

(we're not the only ones who still see upside in him)
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:28 pm

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:BTW, will Miller be the only Vezina winner to ever play for the Canucks?
Nope, Gary Smith.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:38 pm

Strangelove wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: Hockey Widow wrote:
Miller gives us a chance to win every night. Lack provides very capable back up play and we get to see if he really is the goalie of the future. It buys the organization time while still allowing us to compete. We were never going to hit rock bottom. Ownership would not all that.

Miller isn't the saviour but he allows us to win. I have no illusions about this. We are no where near contender status but we can compete for the playoffs. And ya it's gonna be tough. I for one don't want to watch a shit team. I want to at least have the belief/illusion we can win each night.

Advocating tanking or throwing the kids into the fire to sink or swim has never been a recipe for success. Quite different letting an NHL ready franchise player have the ice from rushing players who still need to develop take over the reigns.

Pretty much exactly how I'm approaching this too. Well put, HW.

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:55 pm

http://globalnews.ca/news/1426152/vanco ... an-miller/

Miller’s modified no-trade clause reportedly allows him to provide the Canucks with list of only 5 teams he’ll allow for trade.
Good to know, Canucks haven't made this kind of info available much in the past. :drink:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:58 pm

https://twitter.com/RyanMiller3039:

I'm so happy to join the @VanCanucks. What a great day! They keep telling me it's always this sunny here.

:D
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:00 pm

Strangelove wrote:
http://globalnews.ca/news/1426152/vanco ... an-miller/

Miller’s modified no-trade clause reportedly allows him to provide the Canucks with list of only 5 teams he’ll allow for trade.
Good to know, Canucks haven't made this kind of info available much in the past. :drink:
hmmm Anaheim, LA, San Jose, Phx, Colorado?

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:04 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote: hmmm Anaheim, LA, San Jose, Phx, Colorado?
Anaheim, LA, San Jose, Phx, Colorado Seattle. :wink:

Yeah no, sounds about right bro.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:10 pm

Strangelove wrote:https://twitter.com/RyanMiller3039:

I'm so happy to join the @VanCanucks. What a great day! They keep telling me it's always this sunny here.

:D

I hope you enjoy rain Ryan.

Hoss
CC Rookie

Post by Hoss » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:17 pm

All that was needed was a veteran to provide Eddie some insurance. I think Eddie will be alright, love the goofy attitude. If he wasn't run into the ground by Torts I think he would've impressed even more.

Instead we blow 6 mil in cap space on Miller, who will probably "need" 60 plus starts.

I guess most fans also don't realize that besides Markstrom we have a little guy named Joacim Eriksson who had a pretty good first year of N.A. hockey too... The Swede trifecta isn't sure fire, but there's a lot of promise between them, and they're all what, 23-26 years old. I supposed they're all hoping for a ticket out of town or for Miller to tank now.

herb
CC Legend

Post by herb » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:18 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:FINE I moved this here!

Hockey Widow wrote:
Miller gives us a chance to win every night. Lack provides very capable back up play and we get to see if he really is the goalie of the future. It buys the organization time while still allowing us to compete. We were never going to hit rock bottom. Ownership would not all that.

Miller isn't the saviour but he allows us to win. I have no illusions about this. We are no where near contender status but we can compete for the playoffs. And ya it's gonna be tough. I for one don't want to watch a shit team. I want to at least have the belief/illusion we can win each night.

Advocating tanking or throwing the kids into the fire to sink or swim has never been a recipe for success. Quite different letting an NHL ready franchise player have the ice from rushing players who still need to develop take over the reigns.
Well put HW.

This pretty much sums up my sentiments. We are one good trade for a decent top six forward away from being a decent team next year.

HockeyGeek
CC Rookie

Post by HockeyGeek » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:36 pm

Many are taking the stance that it would be foolish to think of this team as one that could make the playoffs. The data certainly would point to us likely missing the playoffs. However I would like to add that it's also foolish to just assume that because we sucked last year that we would automatically suck this year. You look at this team and it's not the team it was 3 years ago, but it is definitely not a terrible team either. Yes the core is getting old, but it's not ancient yet. And one can't forget just how bad our coaching was last year. Cancers have been cut out, and some youth and enthusiasm has been added. I may not be expecting this team to make the playoffs but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if they made them either.

Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:59 pm

Mondi wrote: What's the point in finishing 10th instead of 13th. This is not a rebuild, and yet they got no help offensively...so I'm not sure what they are doing.
Bear in mind that they were seriously pursuing Iginla. But had they given Jarome a 3 year deal, would anyone have been happy? No.

Vanek and Moulson went to other teams.

Sometimes the UFA exercises his right to choose, and it comes down to factors that have nothing to do with what the GM of our team did or did not try to do.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:11 pm

Meds wrote:
Mondi wrote: What's the point in finishing 10th instead of 13th. This is not a rebuild, and yet they got no help offensively...so I'm not sure what they are doing.
Bear in mind that they were seriously pursuing Iginla. But had they given Jarome a 3 year deal, would anyone have been happy? No.

Vanek and Moulson went to other teams.

Sometimes the UFA exercises his right to choose, and it comes down to factors that have nothing to do with what the GM of our team did or did not try to do.
Ya but we should have signed Ehrhoff for one year at 4 million. And how come we didn't sign Stastny, it was only a four year deal and we had the cap. And why not Brad a Richards for one year at 2 million. And how come we didn't trade Kesler for Neal. And Jorge's hell he went for a second so how come Benning didn't trade for him? There were some good trades and signings and Benning missed them all. Hell how come he didn't draft Ekblad or one of the SAMs? And we need a top six and Spezza for one year would have been better than what we have.

He is so confusing. If he really wants to compete and to win he needs more than a proven number one. It's a half measure, a sham, they really want to tank don't they.

I could go on and on about all the deals he failed to make but I just want to know one thing. Why did he not do any of those deals????

Can anyone really tell me what this inexperienced management team is up to? Missing out on all those deals. Shame on them.
The only HW the Canucks need

bckev
CC Veteran

Post by bckev » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:29 pm

there are two sides to every story, we can think that the trades and signings were there to be had by the canucks but maybe they weren't. Players may not have wanted to come here. Why would we want gorges, I like him but at the same time how many defense men do we need. If we were to get a defenseman we need someone to move the puck better than gorges. this is a time for patience not to make a deal just to make a deal. We want to have room for our young guns to make the team. I think there are some good deals to be had between now and the start of the season and benning has shown he isn't afraid to make a deal.