Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2014-15-16

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Jovocop
CC Legend

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2014-15-16

Post by Jovocop »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Not messing up a golden opportunity is still more than many in Canucks ownership/management group history can say. For fans disposed to bitter reflections on history, it can be disturbing how much more.

I agree with Vigneault that the process is important, especially in evaluating player performance on a game to game basis, but I still believe that in the end, it is a results-driven enterprise. Luongo, however difficult he may have been to manage, won more games than any other Canucks goalie, and Nonis, whether by luck or otherwise, was the GM who brought him to Vancouver.
Nonis was hired to be the GM of the Canucks. Like every other employee in any other company, his responsibility included not screwing up something simple (Yes, Bertuzzi for Luongo at that time was a no brainer). I am not sure why credit should be given just by doing your daily work without screwing up.
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

Strangelove wrote:
micky107 wrote: Patrick Roy probably could have used Mike that one night in Montreal ;)
Lol I would have loved to see Keenan coach Roy!

Keenan vs prima donna goaltender = GOLD :thumbs:
Montreal should be a good soap opera this year.

Between Therrien saying that Max Pacioretty is "the worst captain in Habs' history"
http://25stanley.com/max-pacioretty-ser ... canadiens/

Radulov who bashed his coach with a stick.

And PK vs Weber.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Jovocop wrote:I am not sure why credit should be given just by doing your daily work without screwing up.
Because in the history of the Canucks organization, that makes him significantly above average.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

SKYO wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
micky107 wrote: Patrick Roy probably could have used Mike that one night in Montreal ;)
Lol I would have loved to see Keenan coach Roy!

Keenan vs prima donna goaltender = GOLD :thumbs:
Montreal should be a good soap opera this year.

Between Therrien saying that Max Pacioretty is "the worst captain in Habs' history"
http://25stanley.com/max-pacioretty-ser ... canadiens/

Radulov who bashed his coach with a stick.

And PK vs Weber.
Can't see where this happened but regardless that fucker should be banned from the NHL. Complete BS and you would never win with a player like that on the team. Complete dumb ass who thinks only of himself. Just like the big ass pussies who won't play for a western team because of the travel.

Bunch of panty waste the whole lot of them.

They would never sacrifice themselves for their teammates.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Ronning's Ghost wrote:
Jovocop wrote:I am not sure why credit should be given just by doing your daily work without screwing up.
Because in the history of the Canucks organization, that makes him significantly above average.
Yeah, just like Gillis gets credit for Bo, when it was a no-brainer due to Nonis' drafting & developing of an actual blue-chipper. Without that, his builder's legacy would be even more laughable.

And way to drag out the goalie drama.

As bad as Cheeseburglar was with some of his picks, at least he brought in core players after the Sedins like Schneider, Kesler, Edler, Hansen and trading for Lu. Exactly what a GM is supposed to do.

Sutter, Sbisa, etal are here as age-gap fillers because the previous dude didn't know how to do his job.

We are where we are because Eye Bags couldn't even build Ikea furniture. We'll continue to be here because the owners want their measly playoff $$ now.
Try to focus on THIS year...
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

Brian Burke drafted Kesler

I love the age gap complaint as justification for grossly overpaying Sbisa and Sutter. Elmer is on his way to creating another age gap down the road. I don't see any current Utica players making an impact down the road their than maybe Demko. Pissing away 2nd and 3rd rounders and good prospects (Shinkaruk, Forsling) for scrubs to fill in an age gap is idiotic.
Last edited by Doyle Hargraves on Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Hmmm, you're right Blob. With Cheeseburglar as his sidekick.

At the time, many were questioning the drafting of Kesler. I guess the truculent one isn't as bad a GM is he's made out to be either.

I never said those were good contracts. I've gone on record as saying giving Sbisa that contract is one of the worse, WTF moves. Benning should do everything in his power to get rid Pizza. I wouldn't even care if he got nothing back for him. Looking at his career analytics and watching Gaudreau undress him like a beer-leaguer, that just confirms the stupidity of the signing.

But there is no letting off Gillis off the hook for creating the issue in the first place. He fully deserves the blast due to his arrogance and ineptitude. Out of the four, MG would be the one to never ever get another NHL job again.
Try to focus on THIS year...
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Brian Burke drafted Kesler

I love the age gap complaint as justification for grossly overpaying Sbisa and Sutter. Elmer is on his way to creating another age gap down the road. I don't see any current Utica players making an impact down the road their than maybe Demko. Pissing away 2nd and 3rd rounders and good prospects (Shinkaruk, Forsling) for scrubs to fill in an age gap is idiotic.
Just remember there are three prospects in the NCAA and one of them is Boeser. Players like Horvat, Virtanen, McCann did not even play one game for the Comets.
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

Jovocop wrote:

Just remember there are three prospects in the NCAA and one of them is Boeser. Players like Horvat, Virtanen, McCann did not even play one game for the Comets.
Im sure all the teams have a player or three in college. I'm not saying the prospect pool is horrible but it's still the shittiest of the four teams in the tournament. Probably somewhere between 15 and 20 in the league which is why Ignitowski has to stop pissing away draft picks and start collecting them.

Re Horvat and Virtanen..... Gaudreau, Bennett, Monahan, Mcdavid, Trouba, etc.
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

One can hope that Benning saying he is done with trading picks is real. I get why all his trades were made and I am happy with who he has drafted. But ya, he needs to hang onto his seconds. Watching the young guns play its kinda sad. Some good potential but man Edmonton has some flash. I just don't want to be that bad for ten years to get that many high picks.
The only HW the Canucks need
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Hockey Widow wrote:One can hope that Benning saying he is done with trading picks is real. I get why all his trades were made and I am happy with who he has drafted. But ya, he needs to hang onto his seconds. Watching the young guns play its kinda sad. Some good potential but man Edmonton has some flash. I just don't want to be that bad for ten years to get that many high picks.
HW I remember one of your posts a ways back stating that GMJB was going to recoup some of those 2nd rounders he traded away, but that doesn't seem to have transpired. Just another red flag that has me worried.
Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds »

That age gap justification was fine in his first 6 months, fill it, get it done.....don't need to bother filling it in perpetuity.

Shink for Granlund wasn't that much of a difference. Hunter will be 22 when this season starts, Granlund just turned 23. Forsling for Clendenning was pretty terrible.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

5thhorseman wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:One can hope that Benning saying he is done with trading picks is real. I get why all his trades were made and I am happy with who he has drafted. But ya, he needs to hang onto his seconds. Watching the young guns play its kinda sad. Some good potential but man Edmonton has some flash. I just don't want to be that bad for ten years to get that many high picks.
HW I remember one of your posts a ways back stating that GMJB was going to recoup some of those 2nd rounders he traded away, but that doesn't seem to have transpired. Just another red flag that has me worried.
Well that was his hope, starting with Lack, and we all know there was a small market for Lack. Then comes this past TDD and we can't move Vrbata or Hamhuis. I think they thought those three would each bring at least a 2nd. He did get a 2nd each for Garrison and Bieksa. But then pissed them away.

We still have players we can trade to try to get more picks but not without leaving holes. I still think if Burrows has a decent season he could get us a 2nd this TDD because he is exactly the type of player a contender wants in order to add experienced playoff depth. Perhaps that is part of their thought process. Betcha Dallas wishes they had made the Hamhuis deal instead of Russell.

Im sure Benning would love to add picks, he has shown he can. It's holding onto them he has to show. I like his drafting. I want him to have more kicks at the can.
The only HW the Canucks need
Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

Been looking through NHL trades and moves over the years.
2nd round picks have been tossed around like candy on Halloween.
A little early for statistics to clearly show it but development of draft eligible players seems to have improved greatly over the last 3 years or so.
Improved systems in Europe and US college are showing, not to mention improvements in our own CHL.
I would venture to say that compared to 10 years ago, a third round pick now is as good as a second round pick then.
In other words; Yeah! Don't piss away 2nd round picks without a damn good reason...
"evolution"
ukcanuck
CC Legend

Post by ukcanuck »

micky107 wrote:Been looking through NHL trades and moves over the years.
2nd round picks have been tossed around like candy on Halloween.
A little early for statistics to clearly show it but development of draft eligible players seems to have improved greatly over the last 3 years or so.
Improved systems in Europe and US college are showing, not to mention improvements in our own CHL.
I would venture to say that compared to 10 years ago, a third round pick now is as good as a second round pick then.
In other words; Yeah! Don't piss away 2nd round picks without a damn good reason...
Off the top of my head, projecting player's impact on a lineup by draft rounds is a mugg's game.

Was just reading about Daniel Alfredson's citizenship ceremony... A pretty good pick at 133, round six?

Compared with Dave Scatchard at 42, second round

Don't give any draft picks at any cost seems a smarter plan