Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2014-15-16

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Jovocop
CC Legend

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2014-15-16

Post by Jovocop »

micky107 wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Fat Quinn signed Messier.

Keenan made the best trade in franchise history and was instrumental in gutting an underachieving group of pussies. I'd love to see Iron Mike back here as the GM.
You know, in a lot of record books, Keenan doesn't even get credit for that trade!
Great trade under about the worst circumstances.
Iron Mike also traded Luongo to the Canucks for Bertuzzi. :mrgreen:
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

Yup Keenan selling high on players.

Why you should trade Hansen right now, as it's been reported teams have been asking about him to JB, he'd be the perfect 3rd liner for a team like the Caps, Ducks and more than a few other teams.

Canucks could use more prospects, picks, cap space.

cue thinker "as an aside" Remember my mastertrade of taking on Filppula's contract with the price of taking Erne? Like how the Hurricanes acquired Teravainen by taking on Bickell and AZ acquired Lawson Crouse by taking on Bolland's contract, a new tidbit about the 6'1-210 lber http://lightning.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=892686 roughneck.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Jovocop wrote:Iron Mike also traded Luongo to the Canucks for Bertuzzi. :mrgreen:
This one gets my vote for best trade in Canucks history. On the strength of that alone, I believe Nonis' tenure was better than is widely remembered around here.
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

I don't think anyone knew Bertuzzi's back was going to fail him. Nonetheless it was still a good deal for Vancouver.

Keenan also was intrumental in acquiring Chris Pronger from the Whalers.
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

It's funny, Mike's thing about pulling goalies as soon as he saw their game was off which he used to be chastised for, is now almost common practice.....
"evolution"
Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

SKYO wrote:Yup Keenan selling high on players.

Why you should trade Hansen right now, as it's been reported teams have been asking about him to JB, he'd be the perfect 3rd liner for a team like the Caps, Ducks and more than a few other teams.

cue thinker "as an aside" Remember my mastertrade of taking on Filppula's contract with the price of taking Erne? Like how the Hurricanes acquired Teravainen by taking on Bickell and AZ acquired Lawson Crouse by taking on Bolland's contract, a new tidbit about the 6'1-210 lber http://lightning.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=892686 roughneck.
I get where your going with this, I really do! I would love to get a hold of Erne. He's also the kind of dude that could become a fan favorite. Two years of Filppula at ten mill and a roster spot, well, I wish Tampa would just go straight Hansen for Erne and unload some where else. Yeah, I know, aint gonna happen.
Third team involvement maybe?
"evolution"
Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds »

micky107 wrote:

I get where your going with this, I really do! I would love to get a hold of Erne. He's also the kind of dude that could become a fan favorite. Two years of Filppula at ten mill and a roster spot, well, I wish Tampa would just go straight Hansen for Erne and unload some where else. Yeah, I know, aint gonna happen.
Come training camp and pre-season, if Benning hasn't picked up a top-6 winger, and if Bo isn't ready to be the legit 2nd line C yet, then sure, make a trade for Filppula. Move Sutter to wing.

Then pray that Markstrom is ready for starting duties next season so that we can run cheaply in the crease and save money all over the place until Filppula's contract expires the following season.
Tciso
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tciso »

Meds wrote:
micky107 wrote:

Come training camp and pre-season, if Benning hasn't picked up a top-6 winger, and if Bo isn't ready to be the legit 2nd line C yet, then sure, make a trade for Filppula. Move Sutter to wing.

Then pray that Markstrom is ready for starting duties next season so that we can run cheaply in the crease and save money all over the place until Filppula's contract expires the following season.
Just say No to Filppila. He's already sliding hard. We don't neeed a $5mil version of Higgins.

Wait til December, and see if we need a change, and with whom.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

micky107 wrote:It's funny, Mike's thing about pulling goalies as soon as he saw their game was off which he used to be chastised for, is now almost common practice.....
Da fock Micky, there were periods where Iron Mike yanked the goalie after every other stoppage in play! :lol:

I can recall him continuously breaking his own records on dat dere, records that stand to this very day.

Mike Keenan was certifiably insane... which is what made him such a great coach back in the day! :mex:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Ronning's Ghost wrote:
Jovocop wrote:Iron Mike also traded Luongo to the Canucks for Bertuzzi. :mrgreen:
This one gets my vote for best trade in Canucks history. On the strength of that alone, I believe Nonis' tenure was better than is widely remembered around here.
The way I heard it... Iron Mike of Florida made the proposal... all Nonis had to do was say yes.

(also didn't Lou want out of Florida due to Keenan's goalie-abusing contract-negotiating ways?)

Nonis was a horrid GM but I'm grateful to him for all the damage he did to the Leaves. :mrgreen:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Strangelove wrote:
Ronning's Ghost wrote:
The way I heard it... Iron Mike of Florida made the proposal... all Nonis had to do was say yes.

(also didn't Lou wanted out of Florida due to Keenan's goalie-abusing contract-negotiating ways?)

Nonis was a horrid GM but I'm grateful to him for all the damage he did to the Leaves. :mrgreen:
Agreed, that is why I give the credit to Keenan instead of Nonis. At least, Nonis did not screw it up by saying no... :mrgreen:
Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

Strangelove wrote:
micky107 wrote:It's funny, Mike's thing about pulling goalies as soon as he saw their game was off which he used to be chastised for, is now almost common practice.....
Da fock Micky, there were periods where Iron Mike yanked the goalie after every other stoppage in play! :lol:

I can recall him continuously breaking his own records on dat dere, records that stand to this very day.

Mike Keenan was certifiably insane... which is what made him such a great coach back in the day! :mex:
Patrick Roy probably could have used Mike that one night in Montreal ;)
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

micky107 wrote: Patrick Roy probably could have used Mike that one night in Montreal ;)
Lol I would have loved to see Keenan coach Roy!

Keenan vs prima donna goaltender = GOLD :thumbs:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Strangelove wrote:
Ronning's Ghost wrote:

(also didn't Lou want out of Florida due to Keenan's goalie-abusing contract-negotiating ways?)

I don't think Luongo wanted out of Florida. His newly built home was ready to move into with his newly minted bride. Contract negotiations were contentious. Ownership wanted to keep him at all costs and there were the starting of a management dispute. Keenan was basically told to get the new contract done but he felt the player was full of too much self importance with a pipeline to the owner. Trade was rushed by Keenan as a take it now or leave it. He was worried if the trade lingered ownership would get involved. Nonis wanted to wait to announce it on the draft floor.

Cost Keenan his job it did.but we can give credit to Nonis. He did after all go on Afterhours and answered that infamous question, without getting accused of tampering! :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Jovocop wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Ronning's Ghost wrote:

(also didn't Lou wanted out of Florida due to Keenan's goalie-abusing contract-negotiating ways?)

Agreed, that is why I give the credit to Keenan instead of Nonis. At least, Nonis did not screw it up by saying no... :mrgreen:
Not messing up a golden opportunity is still more than many in Canucks ownership/management group history can say. For fans disposed to bitter reflections on history, it can be disturbing how much more.

I agree with Vigneault that the process is important, especially in evaluating player performance on a game to game basis, but I still believe that in the end, it is a results-driven enterprise. Luongo, however difficult he may have been to manage, won more games than any other Canucks goalie, and Nonis, whether by luck or otherwise, was the GM who brought him to Vancouver.