Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2014-15-16

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2014-15-16

Post by Madcombinepilot »

RoyalDude wrote:Is Edlers NTC making life difficult for Jim Benning?

No. Benning isn't moving him.

It would only be a problem if Benning wanted to move him, opposed to 1/2 the fan base here...
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Madcombinepilot wrote:

No. Benning isn't moving him.

It would only be a problem if Benning wanted to move him, opposed to 1/2 the fan base here...
Why would it be a problem to move him?
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

If he digs his heels in he could be tough to move. Unless he is going to return a real good package, why the hell should he be moved? He's the second best defenceman on the team and he is signed to a very reasonable contract. Can you imagine how scabby that defence would look without him?
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Just look at the last 20 games of the 15/16 season.
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

If you can't trade for anyone, I'd try to nab a overpaid player like Dustin Brown with retention, 6 long years till his contract runs out, but he's won a leadership award and he's a big bozo that can help your team win championships, gives us that big edgy guy a lot of teams need in the West to win.

A good look into Brown and his recent issues http://www.jewelsfromthecrown.com/2016/ ... stin-brown

With a much needed change of scenery he could very well be a solid addition in a 2nd/3rd line role if he's making $4-$4.5M per after LA keeps some salary.

Awesome comment
If you don’t play him as a scorer, don’t judge him as a scorer; look at who he skated with (in the chart linked here) http://holdthepoint.com/wp-content/uplo ... orking.jpg

Brown was the utility player. Earlier in Browns career, when the Kings first had success, they were still mostly a grind and cycle team that took advantage to counter punch when their excellent defense forced the opponent to overcommit offensively. Since then we’ve gotten Gaborik, Carter, et cetera and have become much more of a rush team.

So Browns entries that lead to shots, are often simply safe shots to the goalie for relief for a tired line, but he’s not getting his old number of close in Grind & Cycle shots.
Dustin Brown is not a rush scorer. Dustin Brown is a grind scorer.

Dustin Brown with Kopi (http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/showpla ... 16&sit=5v5) produced the highest GF/60 – GA/60 numbers of the whole team. So the shots percentage you show paints a negative picture, but goals you ignore? They score 2.13 per 60 and give up .91 per 60. That’s his best on the team, of anyone, was being with Kopitar, except Pearson at 2.48 scored versus 1.06 allowed.

He’s become very good at carrying the puck and entering with it, and so that should provide a double threat when he’s paired with Kopitar as far as gaining entry with possession. And Kopi with Brown and Pearson was actually one of the best combinations with Kopi of any. There is a graph out there, I don’t have time to find it, but 5on5WOW shows 70 11 23 with fantastic stats. For me the third guy on that line should be Pearson, because Pearson has the mix of skills just like Brown. Speed when he needs it, tough in the corners, a better shot, and can pass the puck also. Those three guys together give Kopitar the same assets on both sides. Stand up, and they’ll skate right around you. Skate back with them and they’ll pound you in the corner. No Escape. Think of that. That’s powerful.

Give Dustin Brown a grind line with the talent of Kopitar and they will wear down anybody they play against, and then you’ll see numbers from Dustin Brown that "count" for all his critics.
Acquiring 31 year old Brown @4.5M per, I liken to signing 31 year old Brouwer @4.5M per.

Brown at least makes our 2nd/3rd lines a lot nastier/bigger with good ol' Canadian size & heart etc, as we got a lot thin guys up front who don't play with a lot of grit, besides Virtanen and Dorsett.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

SKYO wrote:If you can't trade for anyone, I'd try to nab a overpaid player like Dustin Brown with retention, 6 long years till his contract runs out, but he's won a leadership award and he's a big bozo that can help your team win championships, gives us that big edgy guy a lot of teams need in the West to win.
I think I'd pass on Brown. With Eriksson in the fold, we already have a guy commanding too much salary on a long term contract. We don't need 2 of them. Brown also already seems to be on the decline with only like 11G/season the last couple years. If anything, I'd rather just work with Jake and try to help him develop into a Brown type of player. If Jake can have that kind of career, I'd be happy. :D

Acquiring 31 year old Brown @4.5M per, I liken to signing 31 year old Brouwer @4.5M per.

Brown at least makes our 2nd/3rd lines a lot nastier/bigger with good ol' Canadian size & heart etc, as we got a lot thin guys up front who don't play with a lot of grit, besides Virtanen and Dorsett.
I'm pretty sure Brown is American. If we were going for that kind of player, I think I would have prefered Brouwer. Hell, for $6M/year, I'd pass on Eriksson and bring in Brouwer+Matthias.
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

Yup, too bad Brown's contract is horrendous, he'd be a perfect fit as a player as a 2nd/3rd liner.

Ya know what nobody has thought of, except canuckway ( http://thecanuckway.com/2016/09/04/vanc ... ichushkin/ )
is getting involved in a big goalie swap, where we involve Markstrom, seeing as how we have Demko drafted and starting his pro development, could take a year or two, trading Markstrom as an asset could be what the doctor ordered to help get us that one key forward we're missing.

The one obvious trade everyone thought of is Bishop to Dallas in return for Nichushkin + but the Lightning do not want any of those goalies in return from Dallas, nor do they need Nichushkin that much with all their forwards they have and need to sign Kucherov, so why couldn't the Canucks help facilitate the trade to getr done? where end up getting Nuke.

tampa gets marky + dallas dman

dallas gets their goalie bishop, plus cap hit sbisa and nuke's replacement hansen.

vancouver gets their young forward nichushkin + one of dallas expensive goalies.
Last edited by SKYO on Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Mondi wrote:I'd bet a nickel Vancouver makes no further trades (esp. tricky 3-way deals) until they are lagging behind the pack around X-mas and need make another ill advised attempt at the playoffs. I could see a second round pick or a guy like Granlund being traded for another reclamation project.

I would then think they'll then make some deals at the TDL if they are out of it.

Until that time, I would think our roster is set. Another year of watching the Sedins, Burrows, Hansen and co. try to score goals.

I'm content to go into camp with the line up we have. Looking forward to seeing how our new additions plus a healthy Sutter do. Looking forward to seeing a rebuilt D corps. By the beginning of Dec I may no longer be looking forward to watching them play but then again who knows.

Sedins are here until their contract is up. Burrows will be gone by the end of the season or TDD. Won't be long now and all traces of 2011 will be gone.
The only HW the Canucks need
Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Mondi wrote:I'd bet a nickel Vancouver makes no further trades (esp. tricky 3-way deals) until they are lagging behind the pack around X-mas and need make another ill advised attempt at the playoffs. I could see a second round pick or a guy like Granlund being traded for another reclamation project.

I would then think they'll then make some deals at the TDL if they are out of it.

Until that time, I would think our roster is set. Another year of watching the Sedins, Burrows, Hansen and co. try to score goals.

I'm content to go into camp with the line up we have. Looking forward to seeing how our new additions plus a healthy Sutter do. Looking forward to seeing a rebuilt D corps. By the beginning of Dec I may no longer be looking forward to watching them play but then again who knows.

Sedins are here until their contract is up. Burrows will be gone by the end of the season or TDD. Won't be long now and all traces of 2011 will be gone.
I'm sooooo hoping you mean the target on our backs from both the officials and league schedulers too..... :)
"evolution"
Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

SKYO wrote:Yup, too bad Brown's contract is horrendous, he'd be a perfect fit as a player as a 2nd/3rd liner.

Ya know what nobody has thought of, except canuckway ( http://thecanuckway.com/2016/09/04/vanc ... ichushkin/ )
is getting involved in a big goalie swap, where we involve Markstrom, seeing as how we have Demko drafted and starting his pro development, could take a year or two, trading Markstrom as an asset could be what the doctor ordered to help get us that one key forward we're missing.

The one obvious trade everyone thought of is Bishop to Dallas in return for Nichushkin + but the Lightning do not want any of those goalies in return from Dallas, nor do they need Nichushkin that much with all their forwards they have and need to sign Kucherov, so why couldn't the Canucks help facilitate the trade to getr done? where end up getting Nuke.

tampa gets marky + dallas dman

dallas gets their goalie bishop, plus cap hit sbisa and nuke's replacement hansen.

vancouver gets their young forward nichushkin + one of dallas expensive goalies.
Nice link! Little added bonus down there.... :o
"evolution"
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Fuck me, that was damn near sensible Mondi.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

Mondi wrote:But would love to see the Sedin-era wrap up so the that we can start truly trending upward...

2013 Bo/Shrik (who is now Granlund)
2014 Virt/McCann (who is now Gud)
2015 Boesser
2016 Juolevi

Without getting to the whole analysis of how we acquired the 2011 pieces outside the Sedins, the Canucks are close to having a new core. They just need those future first line snipers. Wether that's BoHo and Boesser, who knows. But the sooner we bottom out the sooner it is 99-00 again.

I guess my trade fantasy is to have Elder, Hansen or someone else flipped for another 1RP this year.
What? Mondi can't wait till the Sedins are done? that's a new one ahah

Yeah can see the new core developing and Green has successfully coached a lot of em so far...dun dun dunnnnn
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Mondi wrote:And by Sedin-era, I don't mean they have to go. But, they need to fade into supporting roles (ala Demitra and Sundin 2009).
Yup, that's the way it's trending. Nice comparison about 1994 AD vs. 2011 AD, btw.

People gripe about JB after only a couple of seasons... can you imagine if the Associate Professor was still here drafting for the end of the Sedin-era with the Aquas demanding a "retool"? Shit.

Funny that this regime can have pretty much the best 3 consecutive years of drafting in franchise history with Delorme, Smyl etal. still standing on the stage.
Try to focus on THIS year...
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

Fat Quinn signed Messier.

Keenan made the best trade in franchise history and was instrumental in gutting an underachieving group of pussies. I'd love to see Iron Mike back here as the GM.
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Fat Quinn signed Messier.

Keenan made the best trade in franchise history and was instrumental in gutting an underachieving group of pussies. I'd love to see Iron Mike back here as the GM.
You know, in a lot of record books, Keenan doesn't even get credit for that trade!
Great trade under about the worst circumstances.
"evolution"