Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2014-15-16

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Tciso
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2014-15-16

Post by Tciso »

Reefer2 wrote:Getting rid of Edler is addition by subtraction, get it done Mr. B
Huh???
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

Tciso wrote:
Reefer2 wrote:Getting rid of Edler is addition by subtraction, get it done Mr. B
Huh???
He and meds are notorious edler haters, but they sorta chilled on him lately tho.

My thinking is if you can get a good return on Edler/Hansen now, doesn't hurt to look into it.

Especially if we can get a young dman LD to play with Tanev, allll falls in line with get younger while remaining competitive.

Sell high while top 2 dmen are extremely scarce.

Then load up for a 2017/18 run after Horvat/Virtanen/Hutton/Marky/Tryamkin all get another year of development.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

SKYO wrote:
Tciso wrote:
Huh???
He and meds are notorious edler haters, but they sorta chilled on him lately tho.

My thinking is if you can get a good return on Edler/Hansen now, doesn't hurt to look into it.

Especially if we can get a young dman LD to play with Tanev, allll falls in line with get younger while remaining competitive.

Sell high while top 2 dmen are extremely scarce.

Then load up for a 2017/18 run after Horvat/Virtanen/Hutton/Marky/Tryamkin all get another year of development.
Amen Skyo - that is what I would like to see.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

SKYO wrote:The vancouver canucks media mogul has spoken

Wayward winger Evander Kane would fill Canucks’ scoring needs..
http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nh ... um=twitter
The mighty kuzma
I wouldn't mind taking a chance on Kane if he's cheap. JB and Trev don't seem to like guys with off ice issues though (ie: my Kassassian). If he costs too much, I don't mind just waiting a couple years until he's a UFA then consider him. We're in no rush to win and if we're bringing back a hometown guy, I'd prefer Big Looch. If Kane's still only around a 20G guy with off ice issues, we can probably get him pretty cheap. If he matures and becomes a star player, then the Aquas will just have to open up the wallet. *hehe*
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:

The mighty kuzma
I wouldn't mind taking a chance on Kane if he's cheap. JB and Trev don't seem to like guys with off ice issues though (ie: my Kassassian). If he costs too much, I don't mind just waiting a couple years until he's a UFA then consider him. We're in no rush to win and if we're bringing back a hometown guy, I'd prefer Big Looch. If Kane's still only around a 20G guy with off ice issues, we can probably get him pretty cheap. If he matures and becomes a star player, then the Aquas will just have to open up the wallet. *hehe*
If he matures and becomes a star player, Buffalo resigns him and we have no chance (Stamkos)... The question is do we gamble on his character, and if we are gambling on his character, what price are we willing to pay for the gamble.

(The gamble being are his off ice issues too much drama for the dressing room once the twins leave??)
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

Madcombinepilot wrote:
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:

The mighty kuzma
If he matures and becomes a star player, Buffalo resigns him and we have no chance (Stamkos)... The question is do we gamble on his character, and if we are gambling on his character, what price are we willing to pay for the gamble.

(The gamble being are his off ice issues too much drama for the dressing room once the twins leave??)
Why do we keep talking about this guy? His numbers aren't that stupendous anyways!
I dare say Horvat's will be better than his this year and maybe, if all goes well, Virtanen's too, maybe a couple of others.

I swear, 1040 must have been following this, (every aspect and case scenario possible) thread of ours and decided to have a go at it yesterday morning!
They didn't do it as well as we did but some of the quotes sounded word for word. Just a fluke right?
"evolution"
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

The mighty kuzma
Ah yes. The the summer doldrums are upon us the local scribes are making stuff up.

Last week we were trading Tanev. This week, trading for Kane.

No no no. Kane is not a Linden or Benning type, not to mention what we would have to give up to get him. No way I want to see Virtanen or one of our better young prospects traded for Kane. Sbisa and Dorsett on the other hand, fine.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Zedlee wrote: Ah yes. The the summer doldrums are upon us the local scribes are making stuff up.

No no no. Kane is not a Linden or Benning type, not to mention what we would have to give up to get him. No way I want to see Virtanen or one of our better young prospects traded for Kane. Sbisa and Dorsett on the other hand, fine.
Buffalo can't demand much for Kane. The question is whether they want to cut the loss now or wait until Kane screws up next time...

Benning should offer Sbisa and a 5th rounder for Kane. The risk is huge but it could pay off.
Tciso
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tciso »

Madcombinepilot wrote:
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:

The mighty kuzma

The really big risk with someone like this is if he is going to provide a "Jeff Brown" type of influence or cancer to the team. Trev lived through that once, and rightfully, should be loath to let it happen again. EKane is doing a great impression of a walking clusterfuck at the moment. Burrows and Granlund for EKane? Kane is a solid 25 goals/ 25 assist player -if- he is healthy, but he has yet to play a full season in 3 years. He is flipping hard to put a value on, given so many variables.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

Trevor Linden will be on 1040 at roughly 11am
Of coarse he can't directly say anything about Kane in connection to the Canucks but will he throw a subtle hint one way or another?
See what else he'll have to say during the hockey boring summer.
"evolution"
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

Zedlee wrote:

The mighty kuzma
Ah yes. The the summer doldrums are upon us the local scribes are making stuff up.

Botchford the rookie within the local beat writers, he's learning right now what sells clicks, while Kuzma is the wily vet in-the-know within the canucks commune.

For all your worries about Kane, those worries are exactly why he'll cost a 1/3 of what Landeskog would cost asset wise to trade for, a little over a year ago Kane costed Myers basically, now his value has plummeted to probably Sbisa and a B prospect, whereas Lander would cost Tanev + A prospect, big difference.

Anyways you don't win championships taking the safe route all the time, gotta take chances, & if a player can help your team win games to ultimately help win the holy grail - with the cost being low to acquire said player, gotta roll that dice!
This holds true to Kane who is about to turn 25 and you'd think he would want to mature and smarten the fuck up now, and what better area than where his family resides.

IF you traded for him, there would have to be some sort of grand meeting with the big wigs/management/his family to hash out a counseling plan any sort of behavioral help Kane needs to stay outta the limelight, be low-key for his NHL career.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

Linden was interesting;
If I read my hims and haws and speech tones, I don't think he's interested in getting involved with Kane but maybe looking for an asshole type up front to help Dorsette. Maybe not quite as vocal though.
Sais JB is basically in charge but Trev himself said he'd been going to the rink often this summer to watch and talk to Virtanen, sounds like he's got high hopes for him, also Sven!
Seemed to think WD got a little overwhelmed last year and is optimistic Jarvis will help him out.
Short leash? Don't know, he didn't say that.....
"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

He did say it may be a situation where one year in Utica is in Jake's best interest, but he does train at the Canuck's facilities and likes the summer he has put in.

Did not specifically address Kane but was asked if he would be interested in a young player who was facing police charges. Did the character talk. Said it depends upon the full story etc, etc, etc. But did say things like violence against women they take very seriously and that sort of thing they would be reluctant to bring to the organization.

Eriksson not wedded to the twins.

Jarvis will help WD tremendously.

Aware Trymakin will be unlikely to agree to report to Utica should the Canucks feel that is in his best interest. Sort of got the impression they would really like him to start the season in Utica but realize it isn't going to happen.

Miller is still the number one and will see the majority of games, barring injury.

Does not believe the Canucks are for sale and the rumours are just that. OK, I'll bite. What rumours?

Said they were split on drafting Taychook or Juolevi but in the end decided you have to draft and develop top pairing Dmen and they needed that caliber in the organization. Said it was a hard choice as they believe Taychook is a good talent who will have a good NHL career. He was pretty sure Columbus was selecting Dubois and Edmonton would take the other Finn, that was how he had it pegged, so they had time to decide between Taychook and
Juolevi. Wasn't a last minute toss up but a thought out plan based upon the most likely scenerio.

Still looking for either a top six winger so they can let Baertschi play on the third line or a second tier type to compliment what Dorsett brings. Rodin is a wild card up front as they don't really know what to expect. Would consider taking a "bad" contract as long as it fit that plan and the cap works (Hartnell?)

They are in no rush. Content to go to camp and see what unfolds. Nothing imminent with respect to trades.
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

Nice info from TL in July.
http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nh ... ale-rumour

As for WD going from the relative calm chill atmosphere in Dallas, Texas hockey, to the gates of hell of Canadian media and it's intense loud fans (extroverts) online and on radio, but have the 'fans' that are quiet as fuck (introverts) @ Rogers Arena, I'd give willie a bit of slack.

What I'd like to see from Willie Desjardins as a relatively new coach in the NHL....

He just needs to learn to adjust to the pros still, keep his skillset that got him to the NHL, that is being great with players - just has to get the maximum from each - while creating a competitive environment, creating cohesiveness between the oldtimers and the youth.

Adaptability is what needs to be worked on during game day, from team to team, for sure only concentrate on your game, but every team is different, you need to adjust accordingly on the fly every game/every shift, keep a detailed eye to the game, see what ticks each player, all these subtle things Jarvis will help with.

From training camp onwards, always try to find chemistry and change it up from time to time in case of injuries.

Every player is vital to win games, but every player is different, Scotty Bowman knew every trick to get his players going, another tool WD needs to work on.

Some players need a swift kick, some need love, some need chemistry, it's a mind game.

But once you find what works, the team will thrive and work hard together, fight to win games, just make it fun again to be in Canucks country.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

"Ride the Sedins." That's the Canucks playbook.