Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2014-15-16

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2014-15-16

Post by Rumsfeld » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:28 pm

SKYO wrote:Penguins seem primed for some pickings.

letang (injury prone)
maatta (youngsta)
daley (gone after next year)
dumoulin (youngsta)
cole (yikes)

They don't need vrbata, but they sure as hell could use hamhuis along with a boatload of other teams.
& rutherford isn't afraid to deal youth for vets with his track record, he's an old school gm as it gets, plus crosby/malkin/kessel, gotta think they go all in soon.
Too bad they don't have a first round pick.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:37 pm

Rumsfeld wrote:
SKYO wrote:Penguins seem primed for some pickings.

letang (injury prone)
maatta (youngsta)
daley (gone after next year)
dumoulin (youngsta)
cole (yikes)

They don't need vrbata, but they sure as hell could use hamhuis along with a boatload of other teams.
& rutherford isn't afraid to deal youth for vets with his track record, he's an old school gm as it gets, plus crosby/malkin/kessel, gotta think they go all in soon.
Too bad they don't have a first round pick.
Or cap space.

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:14 pm

Well Pens got 1.65M cap space & with bonino going back after IR, just got to retain 50% salary on Hammer, and take on a bit of cap back, difficult not impossible.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:20 pm

SKYO wrote:Well Pens got 1.65M cap space & with bonino going back after IR, just got to retain 50% salary on Hammer, and take on a bit of cap back, difficult not impossible.
They aren't going to trade Maatta for less than a king's ransom. I have no interest in Letang and if they plan on making a run they'll keep him anyway. Cole, lol.

I'd rather find a trading partner with a first-rounder.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:45 pm

Rumsfeld wrote: I'd rather find a trading partner with a first-rounder.
Florida or Washington in the East.

Dallas or Nashville in the West.

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:10 am

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote: I'd rather find a trading partner with a first-rounder.
Florida or Washington in the East.

Dallas or Nashville in the West.
aiight:

Miller to SJ (yes they got jones, just spitballin')

Hamhuis to Washington

Vrbata to Habs

Probably the only players with value that are moveable, acquire picks/prospects/cap return players that'll expire July 1st.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

RoyalDude
CC Legend

Post by RoyalDude » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:10 am

Everyone keeps bringing up Washington as a trade partner for Hamhius but the only that gets done is if we take contract back. Orpik will be coming off the IR soon so the Caps have zero cap space to make room for Hamhius. It's pretty much the same with a lot of the so called rumoured teams interested in Hamhius

The Penguins have decimated their prospect pool and draft picks the last few years. They have nothing decent in the way of youth or picks

Tough to know who a good trading partner for Hamhius is bur would love to snag Bowey from the Capitals somehow if not then their first pick will do
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:23 am

I wonder what Dallas would cough up for Hamhuis. The Stars can score like crazy but their goals against and PK and bottom half of the league. The Stars are on the cusp of being able to make a run at it, and DH could help with some veteran stability on defense.

RoyalDude
CC Legend

Post by RoyalDude » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:01 am

Boston Canucker wrote:I wonder what Dallas would cough up for Hamhuis. The Stars can score like crazy but their goals against and PK and bottom half of the league. The Stars are on the cusp of being able to make a run at it, and DH could help with some veteran stability on defense.
I'd take their first over any of their prospects. Their best prospects are Honka who is D-man from Finland who is the size of Shinkaruk. I've seen enough of small defenceman here - Biega, Weber, Hamhius, Bartkowski... No more please. Highly dought they cough up last years first rounder - Guryanov and do we want him? Would rather their 1st if they still have it
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

RoyalDude
CC Legend

Post by RoyalDude » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:32 am

I like the idea of signing Ladd but with him turning 31 this December you only do 2 years max at something similar to Vrbatas money. If you go longer term with Ladd you're in danger of looking at a Burrows/Higgins type situation after two years cause players like Ladd tend to really tail off around the 33 years of age mark. Problem being Ladd is going to want term as this will be his retirement contract. He's a tough UFA signing in a year that sees him turning 31 but he's a good option if Lucic truly wants to stay in LA like he's been saying of late

theman
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by theman » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:45 am

Watching Washington vs Philly right now, Hamhuis does seem like a natural fit with the Caps. Would want their 1st, and if we have to take a salary back to make it work, then so be it, just bury it in the minors if we have to.

RoyalDude
CC Legend

Post by RoyalDude » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:01 am

theman wrote:Watching Washington vs Philly right now, Hamhuis does seem like a natural fit with the Caps. Would want their 1st, and if we have to take a salary back to make it work, then so be it, just bury it in the minors if we have to.
Weber, Prust, Higgins and Kenins are buried in the minors earning $7.1 million. Don't think that's an option right now

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:18 am

RoyalDude wrote:
theman wrote:Watching Washington vs Philly right now, Hamhuis does seem like a natural fit with the Caps. Would want their 1st, and if we have to take a salary back to make it work, then so be it, just bury it in the minors if we have to.
Weber, Prust, Higgins and Kenins are buried in the minors earning $7.1 million. Don't think that's an option right now
Tough to take back a lot, but if we retained 1/2 on Hamhuis ($2.25), and took back a guy like Taylor Chorney ($700K) it might work. You're right though that will depend on when Orpik comes back.

Florida is the better option. They has plenty of cap space, Tallon isn't afraid of adding veterans, and their D could likely use some veteran playoff experience.

RoyalDude
CC Legend

Post by RoyalDude » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:18 pm

Even with Gudbranson, Ekblad, Campbell, Kulikov, Petrovic and MItchell as their current 6, you still think they might be interested in a D-man? Who does he replace?

vic
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by vic » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:43 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
Tough to take back a lot, but if we retained 1/2 on Hamhuis ($2.25), and took back a guy like Taylor Chorney ($700K) it might work. You're right though that will depend on when Orpik comes back.

Florida is the better option. They has plenty of cap space, Tallon isn't afraid of adding veterans, and their D could likely use some veteran playoff experience.
Because Mitchell (and his cup) and Campbell don't have enough veteran playoff experience.