Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2014-15-16

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2014-15-16

Post by Hockey Widow »

Rumsfeld wrote:Stamkos has become a very good offensive player with or without the puck. He doesn't need a setup man to score more than any good winger does. He's a much more complete player than Brett Hull was.

He'll be worth what he gets but he'll never sign here.

Ya the travel alone added to the fact he has no connection to the West makes it a pipe dream. Any team other than Tampa can only offer 7 years so that factors into him staying with Tampa.

A lot of contenders won't have the cap room without making major moves but plenty of mid level and bottom feeders will have room. Plenty of Eastern based teams, including Toronto will have room.

Since we have been flushing out vets, and have more coming off the books we will have the room now and for the foreseeable future to add him.

I'd rather go after Drouin though, younger, cheaper and all of that. Plays it makes for a great debate.
The only HW the Canucks need
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

Cornuck wrote:
Reefer2 wrote:Reefers rule for Vacations are to not go anywhere where I may be:

...Reef's paranoid list...
Here's Reefer on vacation in his Mom's basement (assuming her cooking won't upset his stomach)

LOL that is totally what I imagine Reef looking like .

All that's missing is a can of Diet Pepsi and a ketchup stain on his jersey .
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

yeah your all just jealous because I have been ahead of you for years on what to do with the Nucks.

I even scared Pot away because I was right.

By the way - only door knobs smoke and are over weight, workout 3 - 5 times a week.

Haven't had a monitor look like that in a decade.

Yawn fart

:mrgreen:
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

Canucks might add another Brandon? :shock:

Tanev
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

According to the Province, there were five members of the Habs' organization - including GM Marc Bergevin - at last night's game.

I've heard the rumours of them being interested in Vrbata, but if they think they can go deep they may go for him. Looking at Montreal's roster, the only player that makes sense IMO if Benning wanted to get a player is Nathan Beaulieu.

The kid is a lefty, 6'2" 205lbs, 23 years old, skates well and moves the puck. He's not overly physical and apparently can suffer from brain cramps, but already has over 100 NHL games and according to the Habs fans in my office has improved every year.

A straight up swap isn't going to happen, but I can see something along the lines of Vrbata + Hamhuis for Beaulieu and a 3rd; or one of Vrbata/Hamhuis + 4th for Beaulieu +5th (either theirs or the one Benning gave them for Prust).

In that event I wonder if Prust gets approached for a consult beforehand? :lol:
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Lancer wrote:According to the Province, there were five members of the Habs' organization - including GM Marc Bergevin - at last night's game.

I've heard the rumours of them being interested in Vrbata, but if they think they can go deep they may go for him. Looking at Montreal's roster, the only player that makes sense IMO if Benning wanted to get a player is Nathan Beaulieu.

The kid is a lefty, 6'2" 205lbs, 23 years old, skates well and moves the puck. He's not overly physical and apparently can suffer from brain cramps, but already has over 100 NHL games and according to the Habs fans in my office has improved every year.

A straight up swap isn't going to happen, but I can see something along the lines of Vrbata + Hamhuis for Beaulieu and a 3rd; or one of Vrbata/Hamhuis + 4th for Beaulieu +5th (either theirs or the one Benning gave them for Prust).

In that event I wonder if Prust gets approached for a consult beforehand? :lol:
I wonder if they'd want Burrows. Canucks could retain $1.5M.. Maybe get one of Montreal's 2nds (they have Minny's) and our 5th back. Pair him up with Gallagher and watch the chaos.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

Given a choice of off-loading Burrows or Vrbata, I would rather see Vrbata go any day. Vrbata's give-a-shit factor has been through the basement since after Christmas. I would be astounded if Benning tried to re-sign him and even more astounded if he actually signed before hitting the market. Get rid of him while he's worth something.

At least Burrows has a decent attitude about his place on the team. The only stink on him is his contract. If he was getting half of what he's making now, fewer people would be eager to show him the door.

Hate the League.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Yeah, at least Burrows can instill work ethic in the kids. 15/16 Vrbata is a fucking terrible example of how to succeed in the NHL.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Lancer wrote:Given a choice of off-loading Burrows or Vrbata, I would rather see Vrbata go any day. Vrbata's give-a-shit factor has been through the basement since after Christmas. I would be astounded if Benning tried to re-sign him and even more astounded if he actually signed before hitting the market. Get rid of him while he's worth something.

At least Burrows has a decent attitude about his place on the team. The only stink on him is his contract. If he was getting half of what he's making now, fewer people would be eager to show him the door.
Rumsfeld wrote:Yeah, at least Burrows can instill work ethic in the kids. 15/16 Vrbata is a fucking terrible example of how to succeed in the NHL.
I don't disagree with either of you, just wondering if Montreal is scouting us, and they're watching that same 15/16 Vrbata, would he even be a target for them, or would they be looking at someone else?
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Yes, but the Prospects game is here this weekend so a lot of teams have a lot of scouts out here. Some teams came a little early and took the opportunity to go to the Vancouver/Nashville game. They didn't fly out to specifically scout Vancouver. My understanding is they took the slow route along the way.

I just can't see Vrbata getting us too much. Boston is apparently shopping Ericksson and the demands start at a first. That may make Vrbata a little more attractive to teams that don't want to pay Boston's asking price. But I see a second and a younger bubble type player as the upside.
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

It's Vrbata.

Habs RW after Gallagher is wait for it....Weise, Smith-Pelly, Flynn, Carr and Paul fcukin Byron (IR), yikes.

Vrbata was rumoured to possibly go there before signing here.

Elementary my dear Watsons, the Haberino's most definitely have a want and a need for a Vrbata type, plus they love their Czech's.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

SKYO wrote:Habs RW after Gallagher is wait for it....Weise, Smith-Pelly, Flynn, Carr and Paul fcukin Byron (IR), yikes.
Yeah, the Habs fans in my office tear at their hair when I mention Flynn being on their PP squad - kind of like when we'd see Higgins out there.
Hockey Widow wrote:Yes, but the Prospects game is here this weekend so a lot of teams have a lot of scouts out here.
Yeah, I read about that after my earlier post. That said, the amount of Habs staff congregating there vice other scouts and staff is a puff of smoke not easily dismissed.

Ericksson and Vrbata are in that same tier of playoff rental. One contender is going to bite and likely set the bar heading into the TDD. I guess we'll see then, but I've heard Benning would want to get a player back vice just a pick. If anything, the roster needs more blueline help.

Hate the League.
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

Montreal has their 2016 first and 2 seconds round picks....
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

There are reports that Pitts is very interested in Hamhuis. The only problem is they don't have their 2016 first but apparently they are beginning to sour on Pouliots stalled development.
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

Schultzy joined the oilers years ago in 2012 cause they were a young superstar rising team, hell Edmonton got the whole gang together to pitch for him
" Edmonton's sales pitch included phone calls from Wayne Gretzky and Paul Coffey."
Schultz is seen as perfect acquisition for the rebuilding Oilers. The native of West Kelowna, B.C., will turn 22 next week and is virtually assured of playing in the NHL next season.

He'll join a team that features three consecutive No. 1 overall draft picks, with Edmonton just having added Russian winger Nail Yakupov to a lineup that includes Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle.

"The core of young talented players they have there is very impressive," said Schultz. "To be able to have the opportunity to grow up and play with those will be pretty cool."
and now 4 years later.
Elliotte Friedman suggests Justin Schultz could be moved soon by the Oilers.
They gunning for last overall again with the Blue Jackets.