Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2014-15-16

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2014-15

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote:The point is, this incremental change will see 2-3 vets per year have expiring contracts which affords the club an opportunity to slowly integrate new players, while staying playoff competitive.
Well I sure hope Benning doesn't just plan to let guys walk away via free agency and have turnover that way. If that's the case, it's a colossal waste of potential assets we could get in return via trades.

We should not be afraid of moving the tweeners out for mid-range picks at this stage. The season (and our future) does not hinge on a Higgins or a Hansen, but it could hinge on a potential player we select with a 2nd or 3rd round pick.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

If he doesn't make off season moves he won't make TDD moves UNLESS we are well outside the playoff picture. We have a better chance of making the playoffs with some of theses vets than without them,currently.As the kids continue to develop that will change, hopefully. He won't throw away a chance to make the playoffs just to recoup some picks. He didn't do that this year so I don't see him doing that moving toward. It will be off season moves or in season tinkering.

I was hoping he would clear out some of those vets for picks this year but he has said repeatedly the first goal is making the playoffs.

I remember these debates when Jovo's contract was up. Most GMs won't clear out vets if they are still positioned to make the playoffs.

I know most of us want the bandage ripped off but I doubt it happens. We will continue to see the slow peeling back until we have transitioned out of this core, twins included, and the kids are ready to become the new core. We have some promising prospects, a few who still have a year of junior left.

He has said he wants to shed more cap this year so I think we do see someone moved along with letting Richardson and Matthias walk. But I don't expect a sweeping up. If people think that's going to happen they will be disappointed.
The only HW the Canucks need
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote: He has said he wants to shed more cap this year so I think we do see someone moved along with letting Richardson and Matthias walk. But I don't expect a sweeping up. If people think that's going to happen they will be disappointed.
Well as of today we're looking at about $65.8M heading into the offseason. That includes Luongo's 800K. It doesn't include any RFA deals like Baertschi, Vey, Kenins, Markstrom, Weber, Clendenning and/or Stanton. So assuming a $73M cap we only really have $7M or so to sign those 7-8 players.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: He has said he wants to shed more cap this year so I think we do see someone moved along with letting Richardson and Matthias walk. But I don't expect a sweeping up. If people think that's going to happen they will be disappointed.
Well as of today we're looking at about $65.8M heading into the offseason. That includes Luongo's 800K. It doesn't include any RFA deals like Baertschi, Vey, Kenins, Markstrom, Weber, Clendenning and/or Stanton. So assuming a $73M cap we only really have $7M or so to sign those 7-8 players.

Ya, someone needs to go for sure.
bckev
CC Veteran

Post by bckev »

I won't be surprised if Miller is traded. I don't know why I think that, it does make some logical sense. Maybe San Jose will step up.
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD »

bckev wrote:I won't be surprised if Miller is traded. I don't know why I think that, it does make some logical sense. Maybe San Jose will step up.
Why would San Jose do that? They are about to push the rebuild button.You are not going to get a draft pick or prospect for an old man goalie especially since Wilson is trying to figure out how to get around old men Marleau and Thorntons NMC's so he can trade them to start a rebuild. They won't waive
DOYLE WOULD’VE RATHER HAD KEVIN HAYES AT 7 YEARS 7 MILLION PER INSTEAD OF J.T. MILLER FOR A LATE 1ST RD PICK
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

RoyalDude wrote:
bckev wrote:I won't be surprised if Miller is traded. I don't know why I think that, it does make some logical sense. Maybe San Jose will step up.
Why would San Jose do that? They are about to push the rebuild button.You are not going to get a draft pick or prospect for an old man goalie especially since Wilson is trying to figure out how to get around old men Marleau and Thorntons NMC's so he can trade them to start a rebuild. They won't waive

Which is why they won't do a rebuild. They may see they have a short window to try and turn it around. But who knows. Heard over the summer they were interested in Miller on a one year deal but the Canucks offered three. They could be interested now that he only has two. If they land Babcock as coach I'm sure he will have a say. But overall I tend to agree, long shot that they would help us out.

Miller has to provide a list of five teams if he is asked. Three Cali teams and ????
bckev
CC Veteran

Post by bckev »

I agree I think San Jose may think they have a small window and Miller could put them over the top. There are cap issues and such but it is an interesting possibility. Great move for the Canucks to clear 6 million in cap space. I think Rollie really likes Markstrom, so a Lack/Markstrom combo, while a big gamble, could pay huge rewards and cheap at the same time.
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Wilson has been desperately trying to kick start the rebuild in San Jose which is why he is in a fight with Thofnton to waive. They are not giving away picks of products now, thd cup dream is over in San Jose.
DOYLE WOULD’VE RATHER HAD KEVIN HAYES AT 7 YEARS 7 MILLION PER INSTEAD OF J.T. MILLER FOR A LATE 1ST RD PICK
kelowna kanuck
CC Veteran

Post by kelowna kanuck »

I think all of us have to remember what the business of hockey is all about. Making money $$. As logical and methodical as the slow build may be, on the other side of the coin we are seeing a slow burn of attendance. There is nothing exciting about watching what is being forcast by some of you . That's why I think it has to be a combination, and something off season that gets fans excited must also happen.
I do agree with the trade Miller and go with Lack/Markstrom combo
more cap space!
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

We have to move cap, even with letting Matthias and Richardson walk. We need to move a goalie or let one walk.

We have a lot of RFAs to qualify but we have the summer to get cap compliant. But if we want to be active in FA we need to move a few million.

I think Benning has to move someone who has a NTC. At least one. Moving Higgins or Hansen will get us a couple of million which may allow us to get all our RFAs signed but leaves us no cap wiggle room. Interesting off season.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

kelowna kanuck wrote:I think all of us have to remember what the business of hockey is all about. Making money $$. As logical and methodical as the slow build may be, on the other side of the coin we are seeing a slow burn of attendance. There is nothing exciting about watching what is being forcast by some of you . That's why I think it has to be a combination, and something off season that gets fans excited must also happen.
I do agree with the trade Miller and go with Lack/Markstrom combo

Agreed. Unlike Calgary and Edmonton that are on the way up and generated excitement, we are getting older and disinterest keeps growing. Benning is between a rock and a hard place. Goal one has to be to make the playoffs but at the risk of ticket sales. A blow up means no playoffs and won't help attendance either, in the short term.

Next year a whole boat load of money comes off the books if Benning is willing to let players walk. Things should get easier then to fit more kids in, kids that get one more year to develop. The question is, is he willing to try and trade some of those contracts for the best return he can get, even if it is shit, to free up cap and roster spots now?
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

It's a shame Benning didn't leave himself a little more wiggle room. We could have pulled off another Ehrhoff move with a team that planned on the cap being higher.

The ducks organization deserves some credit, they are looking like legit contenders with 20 mill in cap space. I know they have an internal cap but that is very efficient cap management and drafting IMO.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Benjo we were there once. Home grown talent willing to take home town discounts and all of that. We will get there again. We may never operate 20 million under the cap though. Anaheim, like all good teams will have to pay the piper sooner or later with respect to cap, or keep drafting real well. Will Kesler re-sign at cap friendly numbers or will he test the market for one last big contract?
Puck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Puck »

If Kesler wins a cup w Anaheim I bet he signs somewhere else for the big money.