Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2014-15-16

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2014-15

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Iceman2014 wrote:It sounds like Kassian is a goner and my sources tell me management believes he has no heart - which is often the way he plays. Sadly, the return on him may be less than impressive. If that's the case then it might be best to hang on to him.

Kassassian has no heart? He comes across as a guy who communicates well with his teammates, wants to win, wants to improve his game and has an old school a-hole hockey attitude. Luv the scene with him and Richie Rich close to the end; Rich is fun watching mic'd up too. *hehe* I still remember the last time we were in the playoffs (Vs Sharks?), I thought some guys like Zack and LapDawg, they really wanted to be out there, play their physical game and try to be a difference; however, it seemed like AV was scared they would take a penalty, so they were held on a short leash and AV just rolled his top 2 lines.

RoyalDude wrote:Kassian is digressing and he wasn't exactly digressing from a good place. Apparently Benning poo poo'ed all the hype of Kassians strong showing towards the end of last season about how it was all against bad teams and the goals were usually like the 5-1 goal, I can't remember, but they brought it up on 1040 about Benning saying this.
Yeah, that might have something to do with it. Maybe it's tuff luv to get him going, but sometimes it's hard for a young guy to hear your boss take a crap all over ya. Some guys need tuff luv, some guys needed to be cuddled and shown a vote of confidence. Just look @ Edler from last year and this (Torts being hard on him vs current managment treating him like a cute puppy). :lol: It must be tuff for Zack as well, he sees all these guys like Burr, Higgy, Hansen, Dorsett, & Vey get chances to play in more offensive situations and he's always stuck in the same place all the time(no slight to Rich/Matthias). His injury didn't help things, I say give him up till the 10 game mark to see where he's really at. Maybe the Nucks should of sent him on a conditioning stint in Utica before playing him in the NHL.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Yeah, that might have something to do with it. Maybe it's tuff luv to get him going, but sometimes it's hard for a young guy to hear your boss take a crap all over ya. Some guys need tuff luv, some guys needed to be cuddled and shown a vote of confidence. Just look @ Edler from last year and this (Torts being hard on him vs current managment treating him like a cute puppy). :lol: It must be tuff for Zack as well, he sees all these guys like Burr, Higgy, Hansen, Dorsett, & Vey get chances to play in more offensive situations and he's always stuck in the same place all the time(no slight to Rich/Matthias). His injury didn't help things, I say give him up till the 10 game mark to see where he's really at. Maybe the Nucks should of sent him on a conditioning stint in Utica before playing him in the NHL.
Could very well be. It's obvious his season is not going according to his, or managements plan. Perhaps they need to set clear expectations for him. It certainly seems like the fans expect wildly different things from this guy, perhaps the coaching staff doesn't know what they want from him either. The intermission crew talked about it a while back, is he a playmaker? Is he a power forward? Is his ceiling a third line grinder or is he a top-6, space creating playmaker. We've seen glimpses of both.

I can't say I've been impressed with Kassian this season, but I also haven't been too impressed with how the Canucks have handled him. Guys like Burrows-Bonino-Higgins have been allowed to be terrible for 1/4 of the season with no repercussions, and yet Kassian only gets 5 games after his hand injury to work himself back into game shape before he's back to the press-box. Somewhat aggravating because we all see Kassian's potential, but I don't think anyone can say he's been put in a good position to succeed. I don't buy the "earn it" argument, because guys like Bonino, Burrows and Higgins should have all spent significant time in the pressbox if we were basing ice-time on how they've played.

I will say this: Linden Vey has been given every opportunity to succeed, whereas Kassian has been on a choke-chain. Frankly, I'm much more intrigued by Kassian's skill-set and size vs. Linden Vey and in a season that should be about developing our youngsters and building for the future it seems this team is far more concerned with the right now.
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I think the "earn it" thing that fans don't get regarding why some other players seem to get what is seemingly better treatment than Zack may have more to do with Zack not playing the way they want him to play and his general overall laziness. When three coaches in a row share the same gripes when it comes to Zack it tells you that it's Zack and not the coaches
DOYLE WOULD’VE RATHER HAD KEVIN HAYES AT 7 YEARS 7 MILLION PER INSTEAD OF J.T. MILLER FOR A LATE 1ST RD PICK
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

RoyalDude wrote:I think the "earn it" thing that fans don't get regarding why some other players seem to get what is seemingly better treatment than Zack may have more to do with Zack not playing the way they want him to play and his general overall laziness. When three coaches in a row share the same gripes when it comes to Zack it tells you that it's Zack and not the coaches
You may be right, consistency is king in the NHL, and is a huge difference between a $2M and a $5M player. I could understand AV's aversion to inconsistent play, he was trying to get the most out of a team he took to the Finals and won two presidents trophies with. Kassian had his best season last year under Torts, certainly much better than guys like Burrows, Hansen, and Edler and arguably better than Higgins given his TOI. This season he's been banged up and yes, he hasn't played up to the standards set at the end of last year. There's also the fact that this is Zack's 6th head coach in 4 seasons (Willie, Torts, AV with the Canucks, Arneil in Chicago, Ruff in Buffalo and Rolston in Rochester).

I keep thinking that surely to fuck there's a role for him on this team, which lacks physicality, youth and natural offensive talent, and could use what he brings, even if it isn't 100% all the time. It's time to start teaching and letting these guys learn the game, make their mistakes, and improve. We need to enable Kassian to succeed, not beat him into submission.
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

Just to further HW's info...

Lebrun: Canucks want a top 6 forward right now, no rentals.

http://www.tsn.ca/video/insider-trading ... s-1.183629
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

SKYO wrote:Just to further HW's info...

Interesting. Well if we are moving Kassian, chances are he's not going to a current playoff team or someone not looking to mess up their chemistry too much. No rentals means they have term left on their deal, and "right now" seems to indicate we're looking for established players. Doubtful we move in-division. The list will not be long.

Buffalo: Moulson, Ennis.
Carolina: Staal x2, Semin, Skinner
Arizona: Doan, Hanzal
Columbus: Hartnell, Dubinsky, Johansen, Foglino
New Jersey: Zajac, Elias, Calamari, Henrique
Philly: Giroux, Umberger, Simmonds, Schenn, Voracek
Ottawa: Ryan, Michalek, Turris, McArthur, Legwand
Minny: Parise, Vanek, Koivu, Pomminville
Colorado: Duchene, Iginla, O'Reilly, Landeskog, MacKinnon, Tanguay
Dallas: Spezza, Seguin, Benn, Hemsky
Toronto: Kessel, Lupul, Van Riemsdyk, Bozak, Kadri

Well you can start with the guys we can't afford (E.Staal, Semin, Kessel, Spezza, Ryan etc), and then the guys that won't be traded (Johansen, Foglino, Giroux, Simmonds, Voracek, Parise, Duchene, Landeskog, MacKinnon, Seguin, Benn, Van Riemsdyk), and the guys we don't want for contract/age/trash reasons (Bozak, Iginla, Umberger, the seniors on New Jersey)... yeah, not a big list.

Moulson, Hanzal, Hartnell, Dubinsky all interest me to varying degrees. I don't think we can afford O'Reilly's asking price, and lots of these guys (Hemsky, Lupul, Michalek etc.) have injury troubles.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Island Nucklehead wrote:

Moulson, Hanzal, Hartnell, Dubinsky all interest me to varying degrees. I don't think we can afford O'Reilly's asking price, and lots of these guys (Hemsky, Lupul, Michalek etc.) have injury troubles.
Would love to somehow land a centre of O'Reilly's skill and age...

Moulson & Hartnell... I'm sure JB can move enough out to accommodate either one, but it seems their remaining years are a bit longer term than we'd want with bringing in vets (4 & 5 more years respectively after this season?). Moulson should be fine, not sure what Hartnell will be like in those final few years.

If we got Hanzal, we'd never get injured again :lol:

Dubinsky would interest me. A younger, right-handed centre with a good contract. I would worry about his durability though. Kesler-light without the drama?
Try to focus on THIS year...
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Iceman2014 wrote: my sources tell me management believes Kassian has no heart
:lol: :lol: :lol:
BladesofSteel wrote: Tanev, Kassian and Lack are likely the two biggest trade chips Benning has at his disposal
*does the math*
Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Some guys need tuff luv, some guys needed to be cuddled
:look:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mr.Miyagi wrote:I love the updates HW ... keep em' coming.
DITTO!

So... Kassian, Lack, Tanev for.... ??
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
SKYO wrote:Just to further HW's info...

Interesting. Well if we are moving Kassian, chances are he's not going to a current playoff team or someone not looking to mess up their chemistry too much. No rentals means they have term left on their deal, and "right now" seems to indicate we're looking for established players. Doubtful we move in-division. The list will not be long.

Buffalo: Moulson, Ennis.
Carolina: Staal x2, Semin, Skinner
Arizona: Doan, Hanzal
Columbus: Hartnell, Dubinsky, Johansen, Foglino
New Jersey: Zajac, Elias, Calamari, Henrique
Philly: Giroux, Umberger, Simmonds, Schenn, Voracek
Ottawa: Ryan, Michalek, Turris, McArthur, Legwand
Minny: Parise, Vanek, Koivu, Pomminville
Colorado: Duchene, Iginla, O'Reilly, Landeskog, MacKinnon, Tanguay
Dallas: Spezza, Seguin, Benn, Hemsky
Toronto: Kessel, Lupul, Van Riemsdyk, Bozak, Kadri

Well you can start with the guys we can't afford (E.Staal, Semin, Kessel, Spezza, Ryan etc), and then the guys that won't be traded (Johansen, Foglino, Giroux, Simmonds, Voracek, Parise, Duchene, Landeskog, MacKinnon, Seguin, Benn, Van Riemsdyk), and the guys we don't want for contract/age/trash reasons (Bozak, Iginla, Umberger, the seniors on New Jersey)... yeah, not a big list.

nice breakdown, however I can see Kassian in a Flyer jersey and rippin' it up, granted they have shitload of RW's, but they are severely lacking their typical big team image, ZK would remedy that asap.

Not to mention some of their players can shift over to LW I'm sure.

targets B. Schenn or unlikely but if we overpay Lack+Kass for Voracek.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

SKYO wrote:[
nice breakdown, however I can see Kassian in a Flyer jersey and rippin' it up, granted they have shitload of RW's, but they are severely lacking their typical big team image, ZK would remedy that asap.

Not to mention some of their players can shift over to LW I'm sure.

targets B. Schenn or unlikely but if we overpay Lack+Kass for Voracek.
Yeah, Lack and Kassian would be over-paying for the leading scorer in the league. Maybe if Hextall throws in Simmonds, a load of crack cocaine and picks up half the salaries, then *maybe* I'd do that deal
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

lol a tad over the top.
Last edited by SKYO on Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

ya'll watch those war movies like enigma...

JB/TL need to act like that.

50 yrs from now, we'll know those hidden secrets.

Best moves are underground.
ukcanuck
CC Legend

Post by ukcanuck »

SKYO wrote:ya'll watch those war movies like enigma...

JB/TL need to act like that.

50 yrs from now, we'll know those hidden secrets.

Best moves are underground.
Funny How we thought Gillis was all covert like that.

Turns out he was holding Squanto

Praying Big B got more mojo
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

IN, LOL, any trade involving Zack for Iggy would be gold just for the Bountiful reaction.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.