July 1, 2014, (and beyond) trades, signings , rumours

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

sagebrush
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: July 1, 2014, (and beyond) trades, signings , rumours

Post by sagebrush »

The Canucks need prima donnas about as much as they need cream puffs. The only exceptions should be for exceptional talents. Meat & potatoes, that's the ticket.

Botchford would like to be prima donna ... but he's just a hack

PS - Better to be a stranger than a schmuck.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Hockey Widow wrote:What I heard about Kane came from Kane. Not directly to me but to some friends he was hanging with here in Vancouver. He was lamenting the fact he was almost a Canuck last year and was pissed about still being in the Peg. He said he has made it known to Winnipeg he wants out while not specifically demanding a trade but his agent was working on it. Said he would love to come back to Vancouver but just wants to go to a "real city".
When you consider his Vegas photo, that is troubling to say the least. Guy is getting paid "real city" money and clearly his priorities are not loyalty or winning as much as they are lifestyle. He's playing in a hockey mad city w/ diehard fans and all they want is a winner. Kane is Kesler 2.0 and not in a good way.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ClamRussel wrote: Guy is getting paid "real city" money and clearly his priorities are not loyalty or winning as much as they are lifestyle.
He would be loyal to his Vancouver Canucks (he hasn't been treated great in Winterpeg).

And of course he loves to win, no reason to think otherwise.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

sagebrush wrote:The Canucks need prima donnas about as much as they need cream puffs. The only exceptions should be for exceptional talents. Meat & potatoes, that's the ticket.

I think Kane is an exceptional talent, and talent/skill wise would look good in a Canuck uni.
My concern about him is his lack of maturity. He also has been known to play the race card. He has been described as an arrogant self absorbed fuck. Everything in hockey has come relatively easy for him and his off ice work ethic has been criticized before. Now if it is just a matter of maturity, he is still very young, then taking a chance on him is worth the risk.

I've never met him so I can't make a personnel judgement. But if he is not prepared for the off ice hard work and if he is not perceived as a team player, I can't see him fitting into the Canucks plans.

If, a big if, the Canucks trade for him, that would tell me they are not worried about any of that and so I wouldn't be either :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Strangelove wrote:
ClamRussel wrote: Guy is getting paid "real city" money and clearly his priorities are not loyalty or winning as much as they are lifestyle.
He would be loyal to his Vancouver Canucks (he hasn't been treated great in Winterpeg).

And of course he loves to win, no reason to think otherwise.
Everyone does Doc, for some there are other priorities however.

So what did Winnipeg do to the poor guy? First I've heard of anything...perhaps his act is wearing thin (like a certain poster around these parts)
sagebrush
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by sagebrush »

Hockey Widow wrote:
sagebrush wrote:The Canucks need prima donnas about as much as they need cream puffs. The only exceptions should be for exceptional talents. Meat & potatoes, that's the ticket.

I think Kane is an exceptional talent, and talent/skill wise would look good in a Canuck uni.
My concern about him is his lack of maturity. He also has been known to play the race card. He has been described as an arrogant self absorbed fuck. Everything in hockey has come relatively easy for him and his off ice work ethic has been criticized before. Now if it is just a matter of maturity, he is still very young, then taking a chance on him is worth the risk.

I've never met him so I can't make a personnel judgement. But if he is not prepared for the off ice hard work and if he is not perceived as a team player, I can't see him fitting into the Canucks plans.

If, a big if, the Canucks trade for him, that would tell me they are not worried about any of that and so I wouldn't be either :mrgreen:
After following Kane's progress since he was in the dub'yah, I tended to give him a pass on his antics (Vegas money pics, etc) but that ended when he pulled the race card rather than be contrite about the causes of criticism directed his way. At that point, he put his ego ahead of unity in the room. At that point he became a less desirable target, & worth less in Canuck assets.

He's an exceptionally risky talent. Not to say he can't be worth the Canucks acquiring, but only under the right circumstances. Perhaps, if his dad was part of negotiations & assurances to the Canucks, or if the Jets got desperate to trade him, but I doubt either happens.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Strangelove wrote:
ClamRussel wrote: He would be loyal to his Vancouver Canucks (he hasn't been treated great in Winterpeg).
So what did Winnipeg do to the poor guy? First I've heard of anything...perhaps his act is wearing thin (like a certain poster around these parts)
Well the fans turned on him when he left a restaurant without paying the tab.

A LOT of this stuff going on:

An honest mistake by a kid obviously and he went back and paid it eventually.

Then the provincial government took extreme measures in garnishing his wages for 2 outstanding traffic tickets.

:shock:

Seriously, it's like they wasted no time in getting on board the "He's ripping us off!" bandwagon.

He immediately paid the tickets at that point of course.

Then the local media and fans overreacted on twitter to his Vegas + money pic during the lockout.

Ditto with the YMCMB haicut pic.

(okay it wasn't just Jets fans who overreacted)

This was when he "played the race card" as HW said.

He was asked by a CBC reporter if he thought some of the twitter reaction was in part racially motivated.

He said yes, partially... and that he was just trying to be funny.

(does anyone doubt some of the twitter tweets weren't absolutely racist?)

Then of course some of the Pegger crowd took it as him calling Peggers racist. :roll:

I thought both pics were hilarious but I'll admit I have a slightly twisted sense of humour.

I think he's just a wild & crazy young man and that a lot of Peggers are small-minded twits.

I think they overblew that dine&dash thing and things went sour ever since because of dat dere.

They say he asked for more icetime, that too I think was overblown and unsubstantiated.

Seems like everybody in Winnipeg says he works his ass off every shift though.

Seems like everybody in Winnipeg says he is not a locker-room cancer.

Seems like his off-ice shenanigans have put an enmity between he and (some) fans that is beyond repair.

FWIW I read an article a while back where he was asking Jets management to help him repair that damage.

I might not have the entire story straight, but that's my honest impression of it.

But if a 22-year-old already-established power-forward on a great contract didn't have any issues

.... well he just wouldn't be available period. :hmmm:

Bring him home Jimmy, bring him home!!! :towel:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

You're sounding like a Kane-appologist Doc. I'm sure its not that bad...and Winnipeger's are good people. All these stories sound one-sided. How long did he let those parking tickets go? Over a year? Its probably just standard procedure that happens to everyone who doesn't pay. Maybe Kane thinks he's special and is being persecuted because he's not being treated like a celebrity. Who knows? Kane's got a lot of growing up to do...one or two things sure, but he leaves a trail of trouble behind him not unlike Lucic. They're always the victims, its never their fault...eventually they have to grow up & take responsibility. The racist comment...he thought he was being funny? There's racism in all cultures, not something to throw out there lightly. Kane needs some serious media training.

He's not too old to turn things around, hopefully he does. However, these are all alarm bells and could be indications of trouble to come. The track record is starting to build...his comments on the Vancouver radio station (another not-so-smart decision, what the heck did that interview accomplish?) didn't help his image much.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

ClamRussel wrote:You're sounding like a Kane-appologist Doc. I'm sure its not that bad...and Winnipeger's are good people. All these stories sound one-sided. How long did he let those parking tickets go? Over a year? Its probably just standard procedure that happens to everyone who doesn't pay. Maybe Kane thinks he's special and is being persecuted because he's not being treated like a celebrity. Who knows? Kane's got a lot of growing up to do...one or two things sure, but he leaves a trail of trouble behind him not unlike Lucic. They're always the victims, its never their fault...eventually they have to grow up & take responsibility. The racist comment...he thought he was being funny? There's racism in all cultures, not something to throw out there lightly. Kane needs some serious media training.

He's not too old to turn things around, hopefully he does. However, these are all alarm bells and could be indications of trouble to come. The track record is starting to build...his comments on the Vancouver radio station (another not-so-smart decision, what the heck did that interview accomplish?) didn't help his image much.

He needs a baby. Nothing makes a boy grow up more than being a daddy, well some of them.
The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP

Post by The Brown Wizard »

If u have a shot at Evander Kane u go all in.

The guy is a warm fuzzy happy place away from being a top 5 scoring winger in the NHL...

Precisely what's missing in VCR...
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...
sagebrush
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by sagebrush »

Strangelove wrote: He was asked by a CBC reporter if he thought some of the twitter reaction was in part racially motivated.

Then of course some of the Pegger crowd took it as him calling Peggers racist. :roll:

I thought both pics were hilarious but I'll admit I have a slightly twisted sense of humour.]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
References from the Hockey News Magazine to Don Cherry disagree.

Winnipeg Sun:
Evander Kane says some of the criticism he receives is because of his race.

The Winnipeg Jets forward made the comments for a story in an upcoming edition of the Hockey News Magazine
Don Cherry started by saying he’s an Evander Kane fan, has been since the start. But followed up with:

How many times have Wayne Simmonds, Joel Ward, & P.K. Subban complained about racism? How many times have they claimed that criticism was racially motivated?
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

sagebrush wrote:
Strangelove wrote: He was asked by a CBC reporter if he thought some of the twitter reaction was in part racially motivated.

I thought both pics were hilarious but I'll admit I have a slightly twisted sense of humour.]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
References from the Hockey News Magazine to Don Cherry disagree.

Winnipeg Sun:
Evander Kane says some of the criticism he receives is because of his race.

The Winnipeg Jets forward made the comments for a story in an upcoming edition of the Hockey News Magazine
Don Cherry started by saying he’s an Evander Kane fan, has been since the start. But followed up with:

How many times have Wayne Simmonds, Joel Ward, & P.K. Subban complained about racism? How many times have they claimed that criticism was racially motivated?
Iginla is the best example of all, class all the way.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

I'd love to see Kane in a Canucks' uniform, but from what I've seen of Benning I bet he really isn't pursuing him. Benning often makes this distinction between "good players" and "players you can win with." I sense Benning doesn't see Kane as a guy who really helps get you through 4 rounds of the playoffs. Still, he's young and can still be taught/mentored in the right circumstances I think. His top-end potential has not been close to reached yet.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

ClamRussel wrote:When you consider his Vegas photo, that is troubling to say the least. Guy is getting paid "real city" money and clearly his priorities are not loyalty or winning as much as they are lifestyle. He's playing in a hockey mad city w/ diehard fans and all they want is a winner. Kane is Kesler 2.0 and not in a good way.
Who gives a fuck if they are hockey mad, they are a small market franchise that (outside of an aberrant year where the cap was set below the level it should have been) have never been in the top half of league payroll and will go into this year in the bottom 10 yet again unless they hand out big money to Derek Roy or Mike Ribeiro between now and training camp.

Add to this the fact that they have had some obvious holes in their roster for years now that have been exposed even worse in the Western Conference.. poor forward depth and poor goaltending, two of the easier areas to address in this league and if they haven't done anything by now it's obviously not going to happen any time soon.

If I was a player who wanted to win, unless a franchise like that has a pretty exceptional youth movement coming (and I'd guess that's exactly what they're trying to sell to the fanbase with Scheifele, Trouba, Ehlers, Morrissey... Petan?), I'd be looking to get out as well. Unless Pavelec turns his game around and a bunch of their bubble players suddenly turn into reliable NHLers, they'll be in tough to even finish 5th in their division this year.
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD »

dbr wrote:
If I was a player who wanted to win, unless a franchise like that has a pretty exceptional youth movement coming (and I'd guess that's exactly what they're trying to sell to the fanbase with Scheifele, Trouba, Ehlers, Morrissey... Petan?), I'd be looking to get out as well. Unless Pavelec turns his game around and a bunch of their bubble players suddenly turn into reliable NHLers, they'll be in tough to even finish 5th in their division this year.
So by that you must be ok with Kesler wanting out of Vancouver so he could be on 'a winner'? Keslers teammates had so much respect for him they stripped the A from his jersey. I really like having whiners like Kesler and Kane on the Canucks. real winners they are.

That being said. I highly doubt the reason that Kane wants out of Winnipeg is that he wants to be on winner
DOYLE WOULD’VE RATHER HAD KEVIN HAYES AT 7 YEARS 7 MILLION PER INSTEAD OF J.T. MILLER FOR A LATE 1ST RD PICK