July 1, 2014, (and beyond) trades, signings , rumours

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: July 1, 2014, (and beyond) trades, signings , rumours

Post by Hockey Widow »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:
xtr3m wrote:Definitely don't want to go the offer sheet route, but what if the situation gets really bad and Columbus has no choice but to trade?

We're talking a first in 2015 plus two decent prospects via trade I would think.
Kassian, Virtanen, 1st rounder, + might get their attention but I don't think it's a route we want to take. Better off developing our own guys.

My point exactly. If we had the depth to build around him fine but trading for him would absolutely deplete our depth.
The only HW the Canucks need
xtr3m
AHL Prospect

Post by xtr3m »

Great article on who can really poach Johansen: http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/con ... ansen.html

Anything on Mike Green? Alberta-born and played for SK Blades. Willie must be at least curious.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

@ElliottPap
BREAKING: Canucks reach agreement with RW Zack Kassian on 2-year deal worth $3.5 million. Cap hit of $1.75 million.

Beauty!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

vic wrote:@ElliottPap
BREAKING: Canucks reach agreement with RW Zack Kassian on 2-year deal worth $3.5 million. Cap hit of $1.75 million.

Beauty!
____
Try to focus on someday.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

vic wrote:@ElliottPap

Beauty!
That's a pretty nice bridge contract, fair for both sides. Kassian should still be an RFA at the end of that too, but will be looking at quite a big deal if he can become that 20-25 goal, 100pim power forward.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Ryan Kesler/David Booth - $9.5 million/34 goals - OUT

Bonino/Vrbata - $6.9 million/42 goals - IN

Winning! - Charlie Sheen

Also IN for Kesler

Sbisa - 24 years old, 6'-2", 210 lbs
McCann - damn fine prospect
Dorsett - Desjardins favourite

Winning! - Charlie Estevez
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

RoyalDude wrote:Ryan Kesler/David Booth - $9.5 million/34 goals - OUT

Winning! - Charlie Sheen

Also IN for Kesler

Benning has done a nice job of shuffling the deck, consistently getting younger, less expensive and upgrading the prospect depth. McCann and Rey are guys he sought out and brought in, while I don't give him much credit for Virtanen and Demko as a Gillis' team sucked enough last year to get them.

At least the guys here now aren't going to whine like Kesler and Luongo did, they are happy to be canucks. If nothing else we won't have to deal with that soap opera anymore.

I'm not sure why most aren't talking about the prospect depth assembled, when a guy like Jensen or Gaunce is your #5 prospect you are doing well. Horvat, Shinkaruk, McCann, Virtanen are all very good prospects while Gaunce, Jensen, Corrado, Hutton, Fox and Rey all have very good NHL potential. Demko, Eriksson, Markstrom and Cannata is a very deep set of goalie prospects, even if goalies are wild cards.

This management team is doing a solid job of retooling while adding young players. It's early but I like the direction so far.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Diehard1 wrote:I'm not sure why most aren't talking about the prospect depth assembled, when a guy like Jensen or Gaunce is your #5 prospect you are doing well. Horvat, Shinkaruk, McCann, Virtanen are all very good prospects while Gaunce, Jensen, Corrado, Hutton, Fox and Rey all have very good NHL potential. Demko, Eriksson, Markstrom and Cannata is a very deep set of goalie prospects, even if goalies are wild cards.

This management team is doing a solid job of retooling while adding young players. It's early but I like the direction so far.
Sure, there's quantity, but my main issue is how much quality is there in the prospects? i.e. How many of them are capable of being 1st liners or even 2nd liners for a long period of time in the NHL? Using the HF board rating system, how many 8.0+ level prospect(s) are in the system? None that I can see. :mex:
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:Ryan Kesler/David Booth - $9.5 million/34 goals - OUT

Winning! - Charlie Sheen

Also IN for Kesler

It's not horrible and there is still a lot of time till training camp. So far a better team that last season and the prospect pool is approaching the middle of the league.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Betamax wrote:
Diehard1 wrote:I'm not sure why most aren't talking about the prospect depth assembled, when a guy like Jensen or Gaunce is your #5 prospect you are doing well. Horvat, Shinkaruk, McCann, Virtanen are all very good prospects while Gaunce, Jensen, Corrado, Hutton, Fox and Rey all have very good NHL potential. Demko, Eriksson, Markstrom and Cannata is a very deep set of goalie prospects, even if goalies are wild cards.

Sure, there's quantity, but my main issue is how much quality is there in the prospects? i.e. How many of them are capable of being 1st liners or even 2nd liners for a long period of time in the NHL? Using the HF board rating system, how many 8.0+ level prospect(s) are in the system? None that I can see. :mex:
Quantity has been this teams problem the last few years when it comes to prospects. To succeed at building through the draft you need quantity, the more you have in prospects the greater chances you'll see a kid or two or three making an impact
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

RoyalDude wrote: The Canucks should offer sheet Ryan Johansen. Yeah, I know, I'm dreaming but DO IT! Apparently he wants next contract to take him to when he becomes UFA eligible in 4 years and the BJ's don't want that, either a short term 2 year or a long one that takes him past his UFA status. Gonna be interesting to watch.
I wouldn't offersheet, JB/TL trying to build relationships in the league not destroy em.

JB just has to be prepared to pounce if a player like that becomes available with offers of trades, I'd stay this course with this team unless Ryan Johansen or Tyler Myers become available, low-key style haha, like how Joe Thornton was shipped out West out of nowhere.
We do have some young pieces to trade for those two, for Johansen we got Horvat +.
Myers we got Jensen & Tanev +
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Betamax wrote:

Quantity and quality in the system yep. I don't use the HF system because it's awful, they have no idea what they are doing as it's written by a bunch of bloggers. THN is better but once they went to the under 21 system instead of prospects only they lost me a bit.

Who are quality players? Horvat for sure, I would assume Virtanen even though I've only seen him play twice so it's hard for me to comment, just going on what the scouts say. Shinkaruk definitely was before his injury so assuming he's healthy there's no reason that should change. McCann as well, I've watched him a few times in the past 12 months as I figured the Nucks may have a chance to pick him, he's a very good prospect.

The rest of the top 10 or so are potential NHLers, when is the last time we could say that? I've been a fan since the early 80's and I can't remember another time. We've had better top end guys (Linden, Nedved, Bure, Sedins) but never this much depth.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Diehard1 wrote: Quantity and quality in the system yep. I don't use the HF system because it's awful, they have no idea what they are doing as it's written by a bunch of bloggers. THN is better but once they went to the under 21 system instead of prospects only they lost me a bit.

Who are quality players? Horvat for sure, I would assume Virtanen even though I've only seen him play twice so it's hard for me to comment, just going on what the scouts say. Shinkaruk definitely was before his injury so assuming he's healthy there's no reason that should change. McCann as well, I've watched him a few times in the past 12 months as I figured the Nucks may have a chance to pick him, he's a very good prospect.

The rest of the top 10 or so are potential NHLers, when is the last time we could say that? I've been a fan since the early 80's and I can't remember another time. We've had better top end guys (Linden, Nedved, Bure, Sedins) but never this much depth.
Yup, we may not have any superstars, but we'll have a pretty deep, skilled and hard working team, won't be a pushover anyways. :D
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Odds are one of these guys will become a "star". We just have no idea which one, at this point. Virtanen probably has the highest probability given his draft position, but Shinkaruk probably has more puck skills.

Anyway, exciting times indeed. It'll be nice having the option to call Jensen, Shinkaruk, Gaunce and Fox up from Utica as needed this season rather than the likes of Pelletier and Archibald.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

According to Canucks.com, Yannick Weber has been re-signed. No terms are out yet.