July 1, 2014, (and beyond) trades, signings , rumours

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

rikster
MVP
MVP

Re: July 1, 2014, (and beyond) trades, signings , rumours

Post by rikster »

what kind of prospect Corrado should be called if he can not be called a semi-blue prospect

I think he either is or he isn't, and in my opinion he isn't...

I see his upside along the lines of an Andrew Ference and think he becomes a better player north of 30 years old than he will on the south side...

With him and Tanev, I think of them as "touch and out" players or tweeners...Problem for me is that I'd prefer the touch and out type defensemen to be more physical to offset the lack of offensive contribution they provide and neither of these players offer that...

I don't agree with those who feel Tanev is a top 4 blue liner, he's played almost 2 seasons worth of games and his career production is less than 10 goals and less than 20 assists...

I think of Edler when talking about this being a s*it or get off the pot season for Tanev as he waits for a bigger and longer contract...

Edler excelled when asked to play a touch and out game in his first few years , but has had a tough time transitioning to a more offensive player ...

And some fans who thought the world of him when he was playing on a cheap contract were quick to turn on him after he signed his top 4 contract....

As much as the attention seems to be on Corrado, the prospect I have high hopes for is Anton Cederholm who from what I read on the boards has been pretty much written off as a prospect...

He is another touch and out type of defenseman, but unlike Corrado has a physical element to his play which I think will make him a valuable 5/6 down the road....

Linden and Benning have made it clear that they don't think the West is going to change over to a more skilled conference any time soon with their moves and draft picks this summer and I think Cederholm is ideally suited to the West over a player like Corrado....

Take care...
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

rikster wrote: As much as the attention seems to be on Corrado, the prospect I have high hopes for is Anton Cederholm who from what I read on the boards has been pretty much written off as a prospect...

He is another touch and out type of defenseman, but unlike Corrado has a physical element to his play which I think will make him a valuable 5/6 down the road....

Linden and Benning have made it clear that they don't think the West is going to change over to a more skilled conference any time soon with their moves and draft picks this summer and I think Cederholm is ideally suited to the West over a player like Corrado....

Take care...
I watched him play a few regular season and playoff games against the Royals and he is absolutely ruthless in front of his own net and I don't recall him being on for many goals against.
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD »

rikster wrote: Linden and Benning have made it clear that they don't think the West is going to change over to a more skilled conference any time soon with their moves and draft picks this summer and I think Cederholm is ideally suited to the West over a player like Corrado....

Take care...
This^^^^

More brilliance from rikster
DOYLE WOULD’VE RATHER HAD KEVIN HAYES AT 7 YEARS 7 MILLION PER INSTEAD OF J.T. MILLER FOR A LATE 1ST RD PICK
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Betamax wrote: To be honest, Pac Blue has a point in this instance. It's been my observation that on this board and any other "fan board" for that matter is that fans have a tendency to over-rate the potential of their own prospects and look at the best case scenario if everything goes right and not the most likely outcome. :mex:
ya think
DOYLE WOULD’VE RATHER HAD KEVIN HAYES AT 7 YEARS 7 MILLION PER INSTEAD OF J.T. MILLER FOR A LATE 1ST RD PICK
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Mr.Miyagi wrote:I wish we could get Kane here without losing Kassian, Virtanen, or our 2015 1st round pick. Unfortunately, that isn't going to happen. The asking price would be very high IMO and rightfully so.
Nice observation

Hey, we'd all love to have E. Kane suit up in a Canuck jersey, to a certain extent, but at the cost of what it would take to get him? No way Jose!
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD »

mathonwy wrote: That's pretty rich coming from you. Which personality is in charge today? Or should I ask are you drunk yet? You aren't accountable for anything you post and you troll with the best of them.

Keep on keeping on.
Is Alexander Mallet a semi-blue chipper?
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

RoyalDude wrote:
rikster wrote: Linden and Benning have made it clear that they don't think the West is going to change over to a more skilled conference any time soon with their moves and draft picks this summer and I think Cederholm is ideally suited to the West over a player like Corrado....

Take care...
This^^^^

More brilliance from rikster
The only way Cederholm has NHL upside is if he's been intentionally refusing to handle the puck (he does partner with some pretty damn good defenders) and is just going to flip the switch once it's on him to make a solid first pass.

I've never seen the kid play but even one dimensional guys like Jeff Schultz, Shane O'Brien, Barret Jackman, Robyn Regehr manager to put up some points at the CHL level at some point. More than Cederholm's 12 in 71 games, at any rate..

Hopefully Cederholm comes along slowly and proves to be an exception but he's got to be able to make an acceptable first pass (at the NHL level) or all the size and truculence in the world won't help him.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

dbr wrote: Hopefully Cederholm comes along slowly and proves to be an exception but he's got to be able to make an acceptable first pass (at the NHL level) or all the size and truculence in the world won't help him.
Maybe we could convert him into an elite fourth line winger.

:mrgreen:
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Aaronp18 wrote:
dbr wrote: Hopefully Cederholm comes along slowly and proves to be an exception but he's got to be able to make an acceptable first pass (at the NHL level) or all the size and truculence in the world won't help him.

Semi-elite...
Getting old is not for the young...
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

dbr wrote:
I never said anything but to me it's just a weird, meaningless term.
"Blue chip" is not a weird and meaningless term. What it IS is a subjective term that is used in the arena of speculation. Speculating on stocks, speculating on draft prospects, speculating on how many dranks RD has had at time of message posting. Whatever.
dbr wrote: "Blue chip" means a player that is a sure thing to pay big dividends, any qualifiers that diminish that basically mean that they're not "blue chip" prospects.
Yes, I agree which is why I called Corrado a semi-blue chip prospect. Unless you can suggest another widely used grading system when discussing prospect potentials, I think blue, semi-blue and long shot are adequate terms. I think we can agree that Corrado is not a long shot right?

So based on the hockeyfuture prospect talent rating

Blue Chip (=>7.5)
- G=Eriksson (age 24)
- R=Jensen (age 21)
- L=Virtanen (age 17)
- L=Shinkaruk (age 19)
- C=Horvat (age 19)

Semi-Blue (7.0)
- G=Demko (age 18)
- R=Grenier (age 22)
- L=Welsh (age 26)
- C=Gaunce (age 20)
- C=Vey (age 23)
- C=McCann (age 18)
- D=Corrado (age 21)
- D=Blain (age 22)
- D=Tryamkin (age 19)
- D=Tommernes (age 23)
- D=McNally (age 22)

Long-shot = everyone else

I'm pleasantly surprised by how many semi-blue chippers we have on D.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

rikster wrote:
what kind of prospect Corrado should be called if he can not be called a semi-blue prospect

I think he either is or he isn't, and in my opinion he isn't...
You can think whatever you want.

Unless you can put forth a better term, semi-blue is as good as any.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

RoyalDude wrote:
mathonwy wrote: That's pretty rich coming from you. Which personality is in charge today? Or should I ask are you drunk yet? You aren't accountable for anything you post and you troll with the best of them.

Keep on keeping on.
Is Alexander Mallet a semi-blue chipper?
Have you hit the Jack Daniels yet? Or are you still on the soft stuff?
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

rats19 wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote:

Semi-elite...
HEY RATSKI!

I see you've handed off the reigns of moderation to semi-blue chip poster Strangelove (just kidding, yer a blue chip :mrgreen: )

Hows the summer going? :mex:
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

mathonwy wrote: Unless you can put forth a better term, semi-blue is as good as any.
What's wrong with just "prospect"?

:hmmm:
zephyr
AHL Prospect

Post by zephyr »

mathonwy wrote:Yes, I agree which is why I called Corrado a semi-blue chip prospect. Unless you can suggest another widely used grading system when discussing prospect potentials, I think blue, semi-blue and long shot are adequate terms. I think we can agree that Corrado is not a long shot right?.
During the consultation phase of creating your arbitrary ranking system, there was no recommendation to create a category to bridge the gap between "semi-blue" and "long shot?" You'd think a "little bit blue" category is warranted.

I'd rate Corrado a little bit blue.