Do you want the Canucks' to make the Playoffs in 2014/15?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Do you want the Canucks' to make the Playoffs in 2014/15?

Yes
65%
No
35%

Total votes: 23

Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Re: Do you want the Canucks' to make the Playoffs in 2014/15

Post by Rumsfeld »

Hockey Widow wrote: We need some blue collar heart filled fans in those seats!
And more aisle room for mobility scooters!

:scowl:
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Rumsfeld wrote:Of course every fan wants to watch his/her team in the playoffs. It's what it's all about.
Nothing could be worst if the Canucks' squeak into Playoffs, first round, matched against Ducks ... kesler goes #BEASTMODE on them and they are swept. :hmmm:
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

Betamax wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:Of course every fan wants to watch his/her team in the playoffs. It's what it's all about.
Nothing could be worst if the Canucks' squeak into Playoffs, first round, matched against Ducks ... kesler goes #BEASTMODE on them and they are swept. :hmmm:

will you stop with the beastmode bullshit...Kesler had 1 great playoff series in 10 years...ffs
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

the Dogsalmon wrote:
Betamax wrote:

will you stop with the beastmode bullshit...Kesler had 1 great playoff series in 10 years...ffs
Kesler has a history of embracing the hate and being a big game player. Just look at the 2010 Olympics Finals and his performance and intermission interview, or go back to the WJHC Finals against Canada. It wasn't a coincidence that Kesler only limited his options to the Blackhawks (Canucks' biggest WC "rival") or the only divisional opponent that really needed him and is a contender, the Ducks ... so he could, duh, stick to the Canucks. :mex:
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

dbr wrote:I want the team to make the playoffs. I do not want them to undermine their long term interests (the aforementioned 'aggressive' offers to Bolland, Miller et al) to do so.

Despite the 'smoothed' draft lottery odds I expect a team finishing outside of the bottom five of the league still to not have much of a chance at #1 (Tim Murray said the last place team will still have a 19-20% shot) and I think the Canucks would have to actively try to be worse to get into one of those spots.

It might be in the long term interests of the franchise to have an awful season and pick 1st overall but I don't know that having an awful season and picking say 11th is going to be that much worse than making the playoffs and picking 16th.
I can understand why ownership would want to make the Playoffs each year but the direction the organization is taking right now seems like some some sort of hybrid model ......... retooling, while still trying to be competitive. Not sure if trying to have your cake and eat it too is the most optimal way to reaching what, IMO, what should be the Canucks' ultimate goal: To win a Stanley Cup, not just get a participation ribbon for being one of 16 teams to make it to the Playoffs.

:mex:
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Betamax wrote: IMO, what should be the Canucks' ultimate goal: To win a Stanley Cup, not just get a participation ribbon for being one of 16 teams to make it to the Playoffs.

Does anything they've done recently indicate to you they AREN'T taking this approach? They have significantly upgraded the prospect pool. They were arguably the closest team to acquiring the 1st overall draft choice. They have solidified (re: improved) the goaltending position, for 3 years. They have moved dead weight and players that don't want to play here, thus opening up future cap space, spots for younger players, and bringing youth in return.

Rome was not built in a day, and this "retool" / "rebuild" will take longer than one offseason. Linden and Benning are keeping the pieces they want here for the long term, jettisoning ones that doe not fit long-term plans, keeping the veteran leadership that is essential in teaching our younger players how to win (and lose) as professionals, and ensuring the culture of the team doesn't get too depressed.

Yes, I would be pleasantly surprised if the Canucks make the playoffs this season. I won't be heartbroken if they don't.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I think we can assume, as well, that if the players don't have some type of positive bounce back year, anyone not named Sedin, could be history after next year. The Sedins are virtually unmoveable as they would have to be moved together if they ever waived in the first place.

With the Garrison move Benning has shown that he is not shy when it comes to moving players with a NTC. Sure, the return sucks but the players can be moved.

One more year of development from the kids will be a blessing, or could be anyway.

It is going to be a tough year but hopefully not as disappointing as when one has expectations of a deep playoff run.

I saw this article on Miller's numbers historically against Pacific Conference teams. It was ridiculous. In a good way. Something like 28 wins, 3 losses and a few OT loses. Can't find the link but I got a good chuckle. This did not include playoffs though just regular season games. I'll search for it.
The only HW the Canucks need
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Betamax wrote: IMO, what should be the Canucks' ultimate goal: To win a Stanley Cup, not just get a participation ribbon for being one of 16 teams to make it to the Playoffs.

Does anything they've done recently indicate to you they AREN'T taking this approach?
They have significantly upgraded the prospect pool. They were arguably the closest team to acquiring the 1st overall draft choice. They have solidified (re: improved) the goaltending position, for 3 years. They have moved dead weight and players that don't want to play here, thus opening up future cap space, spots for younger players, and bringing youth in return.

Rome was not built in a day, and this "retool" / "rebuild" will take longer than one offseason. Linden and Benning are keeping the pieces they want here for the long term, jettisoning ones that doe not fit long-term plans, keeping the veteran leadership that is essential in teaching our younger players how to win (and lose) as professionals, and ensuring the culture of the team doesn't get too depressed.

Yes, I would be pleasantly surprised if the Canucks make the playoffs this season. I won't be heartbroken if they don't.
Question: Who do the Canucks' have in their prospect system that classify as elite level, franchise type talent?

Answer: Nobody.

Realistically if the goal is to make the Playoffs which is a real possibility with Miller and a few additions to boost their offence ... they will likely be a wildcard team and draft 15-18th overall but get their asses kicked in the 1st round.

Now if the miss the Playoffs, they at least have a chance to draft a franchise level elite prospect. Look the Cavs' won the NBA Draft lottery with only a 1.7% chance. If Canucks make the playoffs, they will have 0% chance of McDavid/Eichel. :mex:
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Betamax wrote:

Nothing could be better than the Canucks barely making it to the playoffs to match up against the Ducks and eliminating them on home ice in game six.
bckev
CC Veteran

Post by bckev »

I think the canucks will have a bounce back year, and I would love to see them beat the ducks in the playoffs. You should never tank, it brings the risk of developing a losing mentality. The canucks have been winners for a long time we want last year to be an aberration and return to the form that will take them to the cup.
HockeyGeek
CC Rookie

Post by HockeyGeek »

Island Nucklehead wrote:

Does anything they've done recently indicate to you they AREN'T taking this approach? They have significantly upgraded the prospect pool. They were arguably the closest team to acquiring the 1st overall draft choice. They have solidified (re: improved) the goaltending position, for 3 years. They have moved dead weight and players that don't want to play here, thus opening up future cap space, spots for younger players, and bringing youth in return.

Perfectly sums up my feelings towards Lindenning's performance so far.

It's easy to point to the Blackhawks, Penguins, and Red Wings and say "hey look, they tanked and got some amazing generational talent and then turned into dynasties". But for every one of those teams that turned into a dynasty after selecting 1st overall or close to it you get at least 3 Oilers, Panthers, Thrashers, and Islanders.

People should stop daydreaming and thinking tanking is the only way to success. I would have liked Reinhart and personally think he was worth Horvat and our 6th. But I'm more than happy with how things turned out.

You build successful teams through shrewd drafting and finding the best value at whatever number you're picking at. Just ask LA, Boston, and Anaheim. Three teams that have had recent success and are seen as powerhouses despite most of their picks coming mid to late first round and up. Hell, Boston got to be as successful as they are with all their best players being 2nd rounders +
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Finishing 9 through 11 would suck balls.
iFan

Post by iFan »

No, we need a young center like McDavid, Eichel or Barzal, we need a year or two of hard tanking. I hope we keep our cap space open and don't do anything stupid with giving older players long term. Just suck for a few years and focus on player development, if they make the team make them play hard and earn their spot.

If the rumour is true about the Sedin heading back to Sweden if they have another bad year than the need for another top pick center increases big time. This team isn't good enough to make the playoffs in the tough West, yet our prospect pool isn't good enough to replace Kesler or Sedins, we need to tank.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

iFan wrote:No, we need a young center like McDavid, Eichel or Barzal, we need a year or two of hard tanking. I hope we keep our cap space open and don't do anything stupid with giving older players long term. Just suck for a few years and focus on player development, if they make the team make them play hard and earn their spot.

If the rumour is true about the Sedin heading back to Sweden if they have another bad year than the need for another top pick center increases big time. This team isn't good enough to make the playoffs in the tough West, yet our prospect pool isn't good enough to replace Kesler or Sedins, we need to tank.
Sucking for a few years isn't necessary and would be brutal to endure as a fan. I can;t get behind that.

We need one more huge draft where we secure a franchise forward (preferably a center), a potential top-pairing blueliner, and a bunch of depth and potential via second rounders.

Then it's time to start kicking ass again.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

iFan wrote:No, we need a young center like McDavid, Eichel or Barzal, we need a year or two of hard tanking. I hope we keep our cap space open and don't do anything stupid with giving older players long term. Just suck for a few years and focus on player development, if they make the team make them play hard and earn their spot.

Where did you hear that? First time I've seen that one.