Sabers Buy Out Ehrhoff

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Sabers Buy Out Ehrhoff

Post by Meds »

Looks like Ehrhoff's name can be added to the list of top-4 UFA defensemen this summer.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=455997
dbr
CC Legend

Re: Sabers Buy Out Ehrhoff

Post by dbr »

Deal worked out nicely for him. Even if he lost half his salary in the lockout in 2012-13 it looks like he got paid out about half his $40m in three seasons.

Now it looks like he might be the most marketable UFA defenseman on the market, unless teams think 38 year old Dan Boyle is going to put them over the top for some reason.

I'd make him an offer but he's probably going to get another silly contract.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

If Boston can clear cap they may take a run at him. Maybe that makes the asking price for some of their players much much more attractive.

Buffalo really wants that lottery draft, although this is a smart move for them. But they now have to get to the draft floor. Murray looking to add more picks. They have the room to help out a few teams in cap hell.
The only HW the Canucks need
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

If we hadn't just picked up Sbisa I would say take a run at Ehrhoff. If for no other reason than to jump start Edler as the two of them had excellent chemistry.

Edler-Ehrhoff
Hamhuis-Bieksa
Stanton-Tanev

Would like that a lot.

If we have the cap room I say maybe do it anyways in case Sbisa doesn't look good.
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Would really like to see Vancouver sign him to a short term deal, but doubt he would go for that.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Ehrhoff instantly becomes the most coveted d-man on the market tomorrow.

At 32, he won't sign for less than 6 years.

noidontthinksono
Last edited by BladesofSteel on Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote:If Boston can clear cap they may take a run at him. Maybe that makes the asking price for some of their players much much more attractive.
Boston can't clear cap space for Iginla. They won't be able to sign Ehrhoff. Not a chance.

The Canucks should be all over this. This guy + Edler looked like one of the best pairings in the league. If he'll take a 2-3 year deal at $4-$5M per (like we wanted in the first place) that would be great. Dump Tanev for a top-6 forward and away we go.
sagebrush
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by sagebrush »

We need meat & potatoe guys, not cream puffs.
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Tough call on Ehrhoff. Picking him up would go against everything the Canucks are trying to do. He doesn't make them younger. He doesn't make them harder to play against. He does add skill and offence. Given that they are banking on Edler to be their go to guy on defence, yes, Ehrhoff would assist in that but at the cost of Tanev? They also project Sbisa to be in the top 4 in the next year or two.

They could make room for him roster wise by moving one of Stanton or Corrado, both of whom are younger. Hard call, I see merits either way.
The only HW the Canucks need
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Hard to believe that he is only 32, thought he was older, would be okay with a 3 or 4 year deal then. Obviously at the right cap hit.

That being said, he wouldn't be one of the main guys I would target on July 1st if I was Benning.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Edler-Tanev could be the new Edler-Salo.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

dbr wrote:I'd make him an offer but he's probably going to get another silly contract.
Wonder if a 5 year offer would suffice?
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

BladesofSteel wrote:Ehrhoff instantly becomes the most coveted d-man on the market tomorrow.

At 32, he won't sign for less than 6 years.

noidontthinksono
Hallelujah

There is intelligent life on this planet

Post of the day.

Like the idea of reuniting Erhoff and Edler, but the greed will make this very unattractive. One thing gained from the Gillis experience. Stay away from potentially bad contracts, this one has all the earmarks.

Again, Canuck fans are obsessed with going backwards. I'd be all in if its a short term contract considering his age, like 2 years max. Just don't see that happening. Also the Erhoff now is nit the Erhoff of 2011

Torts 'we need to stop talking about 2011'

I see some positives go bringing back Erhoff but just not enough.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
sagebrush
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by sagebrush »

Cream puff.
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Fuk hoff I say. Yesterday's news