Canucks Draft goalie Thatcher Demko with 36 pick

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
ClamRussel
CC Legend
Posts: 3992
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:50 am
Location: New South Wales, Australia

Re: Canucks Draft goalie Thatcher Demko with 36 pick

Post by ClamRussel »

Strangelove wrote:
ClamRussel wrote: Doc, at this point no one knows who'll be better long term. It could very well be Markstrom. Are you saying we'd miss the playoffs w/ Jacob riding shotgun instead of Lack?!?
Yup. :mex:
Well then we have no business whatsoever making the playoffs. The Lack of respect that Markstrom gets around here is Ludicrous. C'mon Doc, this negativity towards Jacob is getting a wee bit silly.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 28144
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Canucks Draft goalie Thatcher Demko with 36 pick

Post by Strangelove »

ClamRussel wrote: Well then we have no business whatsoever making the playoffs. The Lack of respect that Markstrom gets around here is Ludicrous. C'mon Doc, this negativity towards Jacob is getting a wee bit silly.
I've got nothing (much) against Markstrom.

I like Markstrom's chances of maybe becoming a Numero Uno one day.

However I like Lack's chances even more.

But that's besides the point.

One of them has to go.

Like you say, “at this point no one knows who'll be better long term”.

But we have a very good idea of who is likely to be better in the short-term.

(plus he's signed on the cheap for two more years)

Ideally our backup should probably play at least 20 games, even more if, like I say, if Miller is injured.

If they were to keep Markstrom, they'd probably want to go more like 68/14.

If they were to keep Lack, they'd probably be more comfortable with something like... 55/27??

But yeah point is that since making the playoffs is the goal, they will go with the more proven guy.

If Miller goes down, I'd rather have Lack next season than Marko to handle the #1 role for a month or two

... if the goal is to make the playoffs (and it is). :thumbs:

This shouldn't even be up for debate.

They will go with Lack as backup.

Kiss Markstrom goodbye Clamster. :mrgreen:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
User avatar
ClamRussel
CC Legend
Posts: 3992
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:50 am
Location: New South Wales, Australia

Re: Canucks Draft goalie Thatcher Demko with 36 pick

Post by ClamRussel »

Not so fast Doc!
Despite a July 5 report from the Vancouver Province stating otherwise, Vancouver Canucks third-string goaltender Jacob Markstrom has denied requesting a trade out of town once the club acquired new No. 1 Ryan Miller in free agency.

The Swedish netminder spoke with Vancouver's News 1130 Sports on July 10 and stated his resolve to train hard and compete in training camp. Still, Markstrom will have his work cut out for him.

After being acquired from Florida in the Roberto Luongo deal, Markstrom played just four games for Vancouver, posting a .868 save percentage and 3.00 goals-against average. Countryman Eddie Lack is firmly ahead of him on the depth chart, and Lack is entering a contract year.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
News 1130 Sports: Just talked with #Canucks goalie Jacob Markstrom who says, "I did not ask for a trade after the Ryan Miller signing".
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
News 1130 Sports: Markstrom says "I could have stopped training, complained and asked for trade after Miller signing but I see this as a challenge".
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl- ... ns-bruins/

So much for Botchford's "insider information". :roll:
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 28144
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Canucks Draft goalie Thatcher Demko with 36 pick

Post by Strangelove »

From your article: "Eddie Lack is firmly ahead of him on the depth chart" :thumbs:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
User avatar
ClamRussel
CC Legend
Posts: 3992
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:50 am
Location: New South Wales, Australia

Re: Canucks Draft goalie Thatcher Demko with 36 pick

Post by ClamRussel »

Strangelove wrote:From your article: "Eddie Lack is firmly ahead of him on the depth chart" :thumbs:
Schneider was "firmly ahead" of Roberto once upon a time as well :thumbs:
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 28144
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Canucks Draft goalie Thatcher Demko with 36 pick

Post by Strangelove »

ClamRussel wrote:
Strangelove wrote:From your article: "Eddie Lack is firmly ahead of him on the depth chart" :thumbs:
Schneider was "firmly ahead" of Roberto once upon a time as well :thumbs:
Roberto vs Schneids = Average Number One vs Average Number One (potentially).

Lack vs Markstom = proven stellar backup vs complete & utter failure thus far. :thumbs:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 16138
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Canucks Draft goalie Thatcher Demko with 36 pick

Post by Hockey Widow »

I don't think either Lack nor Markstrom will comand much in a trade at this point. I think you go with the one who earns the spot at camp and waive or trade the other for whatever scraps you get. It would be nice if Markstrom could sneak through waivers though.

Although it is apparently Ericksson who is upset, not Markstrom. He could be heading back to Sweden again. There really is no room for him at this point.
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 28144
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Canucks Draft goalie Thatcher Demko with 36 pick

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: It would be nice if Markstrom could sneak through waivers though.
Pretty sure there is a team or two for which he might be a good fit.

Although the one-way $1.4m (actual dollars) contract could scare them away.
Hockey Widow wrote: Although it is apparently Ericksson who is upset, not Markstrom. He could be heading back to Sweden again. There really is no room for him at this point.
That might be true IF Markstrom ends up in Utica (although I think Benning would trade JE instead).

But otherwise he's... still... #3 on the depth chart

... with a one-way contract coming next summer

... and potentially an NHL backup in 2016-17 (Miller or Lack or Eriksson traded at that point?).

Not much difference from Eriksson's point of view unless Markstrom ends up in Utica.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
User avatar
ClamRussel
CC Legend
Posts: 3992
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:50 am
Location: New South Wales, Australia

Re: Canucks Draft goalie Thatcher Demko with 36 pick

Post by ClamRussel »

Strangelove wrote:Lack vs Markstom = proven stellar backup vs complete & utter failure thus far. :thumbs:
Doc, I know you're better than that. I know you have better foresight than to ignore the fact he has been wallowing in a joke of a franchise in Florida w/ no guidance or coaching...and that now that he's in Vancouver he would excel under the tutelage of Rollie the Goalie...and that his confidence probably took a beating last year from Torts...who refused to play him...until they were officially mathematically eliminated...then he goes in for a team that was emotionally crushed & had given up...that had imploded ...and a fractured dressing room...and finally handed the reigns to horse that was about to be shot. The Strangelove I know would know damn well that is no situation to make rash judgments on a player that has so much upside was long considered, just like Luongo before him, to be the best goalie not yet in the NHL. Markstrom is certainly worth giving a chance to succeed, perhaps JB will let them battle it out in the preseason and may the best man win.

There's a chance Markstrom slips through to Utica but somehow I doubt it. Other GMs will recognize him as one of the top ready goalie prospects in the entire NHL...even if the vocal ones here do not.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 16138
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Canucks Draft goalie Thatcher Demko with 36 pick

Post by Hockey Widow »

Every GM knows the predicament the Canucks are in. So unless a team that has to wait a while for a waiver claim covets him...then again maybe that's the perfect time, just before waivers, let everyone know he is available for a song and a dance.
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
ClamRussel
CC Legend
Posts: 3992
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:50 am
Location: New South Wales, Australia

Re: Canucks Draft goalie Thatcher Demko with 36 pick

Post by ClamRussel »

I'd rather carry the 3 goalies all year than let him go for a scraps. Screw that noise.

More on Demko:
http://www.theprovince.com/touch/sports ... rel=894638
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
User avatar
rikster
MVP
MVP
Posts: 441
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:41 am

Re: Canucks Draft goalie Thatcher Demko with 36 pick

Post by rikster »

I'm with ClamRussel in thinking Markstrom has the higher upside...

Markstrom was historically the better goalie and the fork in the road happened when one went to Florida and the other went to Vancouver....

One was groomed and the other was mismanaged...

Now that they are both in Vancouver a reset button has been pushed and it will be interesting to see who outplays who...

Speaking of goalies in general, I think with the size of todays goalies and how athletic they are and the systems play that teams use, I think the days of needing an elite goalie to win are over...

I prefer a Miller in net because I think he will sell more tickets than either Lack or Markstrom will, at least I'd be more excited to see a game with Miller than Lack or Markstrom, but as far as on ice performance I am fine with whichever way the team had chosen to go...

Take care...
User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 28144
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Canucks Draft goalie Thatcher Demko with 36 pick

Post by Strangelove »

ClamRussel wrote:
Strangelove wrote: Lack vs Markstom = proven stellar backup vs complete & utter failure thus far. :thumbs:
Doc, I know you're better than that. I know you have better foresight than to ignore the fact he has been wallowing in a joke of a franchise in Florida w/ no guidance or coaching...and that now that he's in Vancouver he would excel under the tutelage of Rollie the Goalie...
True, I was the first to point out these facts when Canucks acquired him.

His long-term upside is intriguing.

But either he or Lack have to go and Lack appears to be the better of the two in the short-term.

(NHL-proven)

Since making the playoffs is the goal, they will most likely go with the better short-term guy.
ClamRussel wrote: ... and that his confidence probably took a beating last year from Torts...who refused to play him...until they were officially mathematically eliminated...then he goes in for a team that was emotionally crushed & had given up...that had imploded ...and a fractured dressing room...and finally handed the reigns to horse that was about to be shot.
Hey, his 10 periods of play as a Canuck hasn't affected my opinion of him.

BTW: Longest. sentence. ever. :mrgreen:
ClamRussel wrote: The Strangelove I know would know damn well that is no situation to make rash judgments on a player that has so much upside was long considered, just like Luongo before him, to be the best goalie not yet in the NHL. Markstrom is certainly worth giving a chance to succeed, perhaps JB will let them battle it out in the preseason and may the best man win.
You'll notice I qualified most of my statements with "at this point".

But yeah, if Marxstrom stands on his head in preseason, I could see them trading Lack instead.

That is IF he's here in preseason.

That's a bid IF because:

Jim Benning stated the Canucks are working towards finding a suitable deal, but with no guarantees. "That situation could work itself out over the summer,” Benning said. “The teams that are interested may have to move out another guy. We’re exploring that for Jacob. But if that doesn’t happen, Jacob comes to camp. He has a good attitude. He understands the situation."

So yeah I get the feeling Marx may be gone by preseason.

(btw notice how they're looking into trading El Marko rather than Eddy Lack) :wink:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
User avatar
ClamRussel
CC Legend
Posts: 3992
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:50 am
Location: New South Wales, Australia

Re: Canucks Draft goalie Thatcher Demko with 36 pick

Post by ClamRussel »

Strangelove wrote:
ClamRussel wrote: ... and that his confidence probably took a beating last year from Torts...who refused to play him...until they were officially mathematically eliminated...then he goes in for a team that was emotionally crushed & had given up...that had imploded ...and a fractured dressing room...and finally handed the reigns to horse that was about to be shot.
Hey, his 10 periods of play as a Canuck hasn't affected my opinion of him.

BTW: Longest. sentence. ever. :mrgreen:
Hey, a lot of shit happened last season. 8-)
Strangelove wrote:(btw notice how they're looking into trading El Marko rather than Eddy Lack) :wink:

I'll have you take note that not once did the Canucks ever mention publicly they were trading Cory. I'm sure JB has both of their names being juggled on his roster wall chart as he considers his options.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 28144
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Canucks Draft goalie Thatcher Demko with 36 pick

Post by Strangelove »

ClamRussel wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Strangelove wrote:(btw notice how they're looking into trading El Marko rather than Eddy Lack) :wink:

I'll have you take note that not once did the Canucks ever mention publicly they were trading Cory. I'm sure JB has both of their names being juggled on his roster wall chart as he considers his options.
Fair Nuff Clammy.

But I'm happy enough with our #1 goaltending future sans Marko.

Miller for the next 2/3 years, Lack for 4 years or so after that, DEMKO for a decade after that. :thumbs:

Hopefully we can get something not-too-shabby for Mr Markstrom. :)
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Post Reply