Canucks select Jared McCann at #24

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks select Jared McCann at #24

Post by Aaronp18 »

Betamax wrote: or are you just relying on youtube compilation highlight clips and draft capsule scouting reports of said individuals? :mex:
So, are you implying you do otherwise when making your comparisons and preferences?

:hmmm:
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Aaronp18 wrote:
Betamax wrote: or are you just relying on youtube compilation highlight clips and draft capsule scouting reports of said individuals? :mex:
So, are you implying you do otherwise when making your comparisons and preferences?

:hmmm:
No ...... I just find it curious that at this time of year armchair posters have such strong opinions on hockey prospects they probably didn't know even existed until like, uh a month or two ago. Thankfully, it's not as bad here as it is on that hockey prospect forum. :mex:
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Betamax wrote:Uh, so, Dave, what is *your* basis of comparisons where you stated you would have "preferred Barbashev or Scherbak?" How many games did you watch them play vs. McCann, or are you just relying on youtube compilation highlight clips and draft capsule scouting reports of said individuals? :mex:
I am a hockey fan who finds time now and then ( :look: ) to post on message boards so yeah my basis of comparison is usually statistics, short clips (I don't put any stock into them really), some international play and reports from people much much more qualified than I am.

To me those things pointed to those other two players and then McCann. Partially due to personal preference that the team take a risk with that pick given they took a fairly safe player at sixth overall (similar to last year).
Betamax wrote:No ...... I just find it curious that at this time of year armchair posters have such strong opinions on hockey prospects they probably didn't know even existed until like, uh a month or two ago. Thankfully, it's not as bad here as it is on that hockey prospect forum. :mex:
Yeah man, I am steamed over here. My opinion is so strong!
dbr wrote:I'd say at 24 McCann was definitely one of the three or four best players so it's tough to get worked up about
dbr wrote:I'm not an expert by any means but like I said I think those were the best three players at 24. Of course.

...I just happen to be less enamoured of his potential than the other two.
dbr wrote:McCann has some great tools and I hope he pans out. Like I said he's certainly on the short list of players I'd have taken at 24, for the reason you mentioned and his speed as well.
I just have no room for disagreement from anyone, I am so convinced of my own expertise. :mex:
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Betamax wrote:Their glaring weakness is an elite offensive skilled 1C and a PP QB. Could Subban be a wildcard and be a Ralfalski type or will he end up being a Hawgood? :mex:
Most drafts only have 2 or 3 players that are "elite". So, 27ish teams have a glaring weakness. Have patience.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Tciso wrote:
Betamax wrote:Their glaring weakness is an elite offensive skilled 1C and a PP QB. Could Subban be a wildcard and be a Ralfalski type or will he end up being a Hawgood? :mex:
Most drafts only have 2 or 3 players that are "elite". So, 27ish teams have a glaring weakness. Have patience.
Well, there are always diamonds in the roughs that are found outside the the top. The ducks haven't been drafting in the top 3, yet they somehow managed to draft a potential franchise goalie in Gibson with a second round pick. The Canucks hope they've done the same in this draft.

Caps' top prospect, Evgeny Kuznetsov is an "8.0C" hf rated prospect that was taken a few picks then what the Canucks could have chosen him if they didn't overvalue Keith Ballard and traded away their 1st rounder in that draft.

To be honest, I don't have much confidence in the existing Canucks' Scouting Staff to unearth elite level talent, unless it's handed to them on a silver platter with a very high draft pick.

Just look at their history and tell me otherwise.

I mean the only "elite" level talent they've drafted in their entire 44 year history, other than the Sedins who were top 3 picks, BTW, has been Bure and it was more luck than anything and The Cory, whom they traded in a fire sale. :mex:
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Betamax wrote: I mean the only "elite" level talent they've drafted in their entire 44 year history, other than the Sedins who were top 3 picks, BTW, has been Bure and it was more luck than anything and The Cory, whom they traded in a fire sale. :mex:
Wait, so you're saying Schneider is the 4th best player the Canucks have ever drafted? Gimme a fuckin' break!

Do you know who Cam Neely is?
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Betamax wrote: I mean the only "elite" level talent they've drafted in their entire 44 year history, other than the Sedins who were top 3 picks, BTW, has been Bure and it was more luck than anything and The Cory, whom they traded in a fire sale. :mex:
Wait, so you're saying Schneider is the 4th best player the Canucks have ever drafted? Gimme a fuckin' break!

Do you know who Cam Neely is?
Well, OK .... Neely (who was a top 10 pick) but didn't develop into an elite talent here.

Anyone else in 44 or so years of drafting? :mex:
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Didn't the Canucks draft Edler, Peca, Bieksa, Kesler, Lack ( who some advocate is ready for the starters job), Ohlund, and I am sure there are others well before my time. To say we have ever only draft 3-4 elite players is pretty gloom. We have drafted some good players.
The only HW the Canucks need
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Hockey Widow wrote:Didn't the Canucks draft Edler, Peca, Bieksa, Kesler, Lack ( who some advocate is ready for the starters job), Ohlund, and I am sure there are others well before my time. To say we have ever only draft 3-4 elite players is pretty gloom. We have drafted some good players.
Well, Kesler is borderline "elite" since he did when a major individual award but in the entire 44+ year history of the franchise, Bure is the only "homegrown" HOFer. Neely was developed elsewhere and I don't really count him as a "Canucks" player.

So besides the Sedins, which were a top 3 pick, Neely (who became elite on another team), Bure (who the Canucks' got lucky with on a loophole) and the signs that The Cory was/is going to be elite as he enters his playing prime, can't think of any lower picks that have been "franchise" type players.

Some people here are smirking at my references to The Cory being "elite" or not ... well, all I see is that he's putting up stats that objectively put him in that category and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

The one unfortunate thing with the Miller signing is that the Canucks are effectively out of the running to sign The Cory if he becomes a UFA. :mex:
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Hockey Widow wrote:Didn't the Canucks draft Edler, Peca, Bieksa, Kesler, Lack ( who some advocate is ready for the starters job), Ohlund, and I am sure there are others well before my time. To say we have ever only draft 3-4 elite players is pretty gloom. We have drafted some good players.
Lack was a free agent signing. But I think Betamax is being purposefully ignorant in this case to elicit a response.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Lack was a free agent signing. But I think Betamax is being purposefully ignorant in this case to elicit a response.
There's a BIG difference between being a long serving Canucks' player who had a good NHL career and being an "elite" player during his TIME as a Canucks. Only the Sedins and Bure could really be called "elite" level NHL players as a Canucks ... I personally would put The Cory on that radar but his chance to demonstrate this to Canucks' Nation over the long term was taken away by the mismanagement of the goaltending situation by Michael D. Gillis. :mex:
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Yeah ..... No . Cam Neely took off in Boston . He scored 51 goals for Vancouver over parts of three seasons when the team was horrific and hè did it playing with scrubs on third and fourth lines . He was good before he went to Boston he sure as fuck wasn't developed there . Wake the fuck up
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Betamax wrote: Some people here are smirking at my references to The Cory being "elite" or not ... well, all I see is that he's putting up stats that objectively put him in that category and I don't see that changing anytime soon.
Yeah no 72 NHL wins at age 28 does not scream "elite" bro.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Strangelove wrote:
Betamax wrote: Some people here are smirking at my references to The Cory being "elite" or not ... well, all I see is that he's putting up stats that objectively put him in that category and I don't see that changing anytime soon.
Yeah no 72 NHL wins at age 28 does not scream "elite" bro.
This thread has taken a massive nose dive.

"I don't trust the scouting staff, they can't find elite talent."
"Cam Neely"
"Well, he didn't develop here"
"Was he drafted here?"
"Yes."
"And he became elite?"
"Yes."
"So the scouts have found elite talent?"
"Not really... because Micheal D. Gillis and The Cory... Hockey's Future.... Horvat's a Bolland...."

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hopefully Jared McCann turns out to be an "elite" NHLer.
____
Try to focus on someday.