Canucks select Jared McCann at #24

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

dbr
CC Legend

Re: Canucks select Jared McCann at #24

Post by dbr »

Would have preferred Barbashev or Scherbak but I'd say at 24 McCann was definitely one of the three or four best players so it's tough to get worked up about. It's not like they took Hunter Smith or something there.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

dbr wrote:Would have preferred Barbashev or Scherbak but I'd say at 24 McCann was definitely one of the three or four best players so it's tough to get worked up about. It's not like they took Hunter Smith or something there.
Why do you like the former two over "It is what it is"? :mex:
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I think both slid because of "Russian Factor" reasons when IMO it doesn't really apply.. both are in the CHL, learning English, leaders on their teams, etc. with that in mind it's a good value proposition if you think teams are scared of a very unlikely outcome.

Scherbak has great size and by most reports is extremely raw, he was by a huge margin the best player on his team and might have a lot more to show in different circumstances.

Barbashev was a really effective two way player and produced a lot in tough match ups, he's not big at this point but plays a NA style game and hits well.

I'm not an expert by any means but like I said I think those were the best three players at 24. Of course. Ho-sang could surpass them all if he learns to be effective in the highly structured NHL game but that's another matter.

Given their slides and given the picks we had a one point (6, 24, 36, 50, 66, 85..) I was hopeful we could do some horse trading and get two of the three. It's not McCann's fault that didn't happen and I just happen to be less enamoured of his potential than the other two.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Still think its wiser move to pick a Canadian kid over a Russkie, although the odd time it works out the other way like Tarasenko, Kuznetsov and Nichushkin slipping in the draft but Barbeshev and Scherbek are and will never be the players that those 3 are. It's more of a concern signing these fringe type russian players after their entry level contract expires with the KHL always trying to lure their kids back home. I like McCann a lot more than those two.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

All well and good RD but if we were talking about Nick Sherwood and Ian Barber they'd have been in that group talked about following the top ten (along with McCann), among the likes of Fabbri and Tush and Perlini and so on. Way too early to say they couldn't be top six forwards and not fringe guys.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

RoyalDude wrote:Geez Lancer, really focusing on the negatives there. Every prospect in their scouting of come with their pros and cons. McCann showed well at the U-18's two months ago. Hockey Canada must really hate him

Skating needs work? Lol

He is considered to possess more slick skill than Horvat, btw.
via: http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/06/27 ... en-missed/
BEST UHHH

After getting selected, Bo Horvat Lite was asked why he thought the Canucks were interested in him:

“I think it was my two-way game. I model my game after Ryan Kesler,” he said, without a hint of irony.

“I’m a fan of his. I like the way he plays the game,” McCann said. “He’s a two-way centre like I try to be. He’s not afraid to drop his gloves if necessary.

“I definitely will try to be like him.”

The Canucks sure hope not.

Flipping off the camera probably wasn’t the best start for Jared, though.
Did he or did he not?

As for Hockey Canada and Jared ......

via: http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2014/06/27 ... ravaganza/
Asked what the Canucks liked about him, he responded, “My two-way game. I model my game after a guy like Ryan Kesler.”

It’s probably not the best day to invoke Kesler. (Another red flag: McCann also invoked Todd Bertuzzi, answering one question with “it is what it is”.)

McCann was asked to elaborate. Does he really like Kesler?

“I am a fan of his,” he responded. “I like the way he plays the game. He’s a two-way center man like I try to be. He’s not afraid to drop the gloves if necessary. I definitely try to be like him.”

According to a few people that follow the OHL closely, McCann is, and not just on the ice. He can be difficult, a little prickly, a little surly. “He has a bad attitude,” one scout noted. Another suggested it’s pretty strange for a kid ranked as highly as McCann is to be left off Hockey Canada’s Summer Development roster. “He clearly rubbed someone the wrong way,” I was told.

But he’s a very good hockey player, and as Kesler proved during his time here, there’s nothing wrong with a difficult person, so long as he’s difficult for you. And with a Kesler-sized hole in the roster, McCann and the Canucks might be a perfect match.
Well, Hockey Canada hasn't exactly been bringing home the Gold at the WJHC in recent years. Maybe they need some dudes that are "a little prickly, a little surly" ... kinda like what every good messageboard needs, right? :mex:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

dbr wrote:All well and good RD but if we were talking about Nick Sherwood and Ian Barber they'd have been in that group talked about following the top ten (along with McCann), among the likes of Fabbri and Tush and Perlini and so on. Way too early to say they couldn't be top six forwards and not fringe guys.
Well danbobrob, if his name was Jaroslav Mikansikov instead Jared McCann I can only imagine how happy you'd be

McCann finished in the top 5 at the combine in IQ testing with Reinhart, Bennett, Draiaitlmand Ho-Sang. Has elite skill level, have you even seen that highlight reel package on him, the kid has some slick moves and a Sakic like wrister not to mention his slick passing. In his OHL draft his skill level was considered on par with fellow draft mate McDavid. He sacrificed individual stat padding for great two way play. Like I said earlier, you cant teach skill. It's great that a kid with his skill set focuses on his 200 foot game

Absolutely love the pick
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

RoyalDude wrote:
dbr wrote:All well and good RD but if we were talking about Nick Sherwood and Ian Barber they'd have been in that group talked about following the top ten (along with McCann), among the likes of Fabbri and Tush and Perlini and so on. Way too early to say they couldn't be top six forwards and not fringe guys.
Well danbobrob, if his name was Jaroslav Mikansikov instead Jared McCann I can only imagine how happy you'd be
:lol:

I do think 'the Russian factor' is or can be a really important factor in weighing whether to draft a player.. obviously some of them do go back and you have to look at them on a case by case scenario (for example I'm totally happy that the Canucks passed on Nichushkin last year).

I'd rather it be Ian Barber or Nick Sherwood but given they're here already and by all accounts fitting in both on the ice and in the room, I'd have taken Ivan and Nikita anyway.

McCann has some great tools and I hope he pans out. Like I said he's certainly on the short list of players I'd have taken at 24, for the reason you mentioned and his speed as well.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

dbr wrote:Given their slides and given the picks we had a one point (6, 24, 36, 50, 66, 85..) I was hopeful we could do some horse trading and get two of the three. It's not McCann's fault that didn't happen and I just happen to be less enamoured of his potential than the other two.
For comparison, O'Reilly put up some modest numbers during his draft year but somehow the Avs saw that he possessed the attributes that would translate into the NHL and used the 33rd overall pick to select him:

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=14371

vs.

McCann

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=189369

:mex:
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Lancer wrote:Reading some stuff from Botch on 'Bo Horvat Lite', and red flags start popping up. Kid with a bad attitude who managed to rub Hockey Canada the wrong way and got left off the summer development roster. Strength issues and needs to get faster.

Small wonder he slid. Small wonder he pouted all the way up to the podium and afterward.

Can you say, 'PROJECT'? Can you spell G-A-M-B-L-E???

Why am I afraid we'll be shaking our heads about this one in a couple years' time?? :|
Botchford is a hack. Makes shit up to sell papers. I heard the kid on with Sekeres and he sounded happy to be coming here. i think he was shocked how far down the draft he fell.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Lancer wrote:Reading some stuff from Botch on 'Bo Horvat Lite', and red flags start popping up. Kid with a bad attitude who managed to rub Hockey Canada the wrong way and got left off the summer development roster. Strength issues and needs to get faster.

Small wonder he slid. Small wonder he pouted all the way up to the podium and afterward.

Can you say, 'PROJECT'? Can you spell G-A-M-B-L-E???

Why am I afraid we'll be shaking our heads about this one in a couple years' time?? :|
Botchford is a hack. Makes shit up to sell papers. I heard the kid on with Sekeres and he sounded happy to be coming here. i think he was shocked how far down the draft he fell.
Jared has already stated that he was choked about falling in the draft, and that was he seemed unhappy. The kid is pretty jacked about being a Canuck. We should rejoice that the kid has got a competitive edge
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

RoyalDude wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Jared has already stated that he was choked about falling in the draft, and that was he seemed unhappy. The kid is pretty jacked about being a Canuck. We should rejoice that the kid has got a competitive edge
I can almost guarantee you Botch hasn't even watched the kid play. He's a terrible reporter, a wannabe Gallagher who tries so hard to be 'edgy'. For me the worst reporter covering the Nucks and it isn't close.

I really like the pick, he's a very good skater (no idea where reports he isn't came from), good size, plays a two way game and is almost surely to stick at center. For me he's a better pick than Bleackley, Kapanen, Schmaltz or Larkin who all went in front of him, and after Reinhart, Bennett, Draisaitl and maybe Fabbri (who needs lots of work to translate his game to the NHL) he's the best centre available. A top 5 center in the draft at 24? Works for me.

As for his attitude, who cares. As long as he can play the game and help the team win why do I care if he's a little crusty at times? It's not like he's Deangelo who makes racist remarks or Ho-Sang who is on another planet. A little attitude is a good thing.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

I agree that his first interview on TSN after getting picked was a bit...odd and I certainly had a good laugh at his "No, I didn't expect to get picked by the Canucks, but it is what it is" comment.

His subsequent interviews on Canucks.com shed him in a much more positive light.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Betamax wrote:
dbr wrote:Given their slides and given the picks we had a one point (6, 24, 36, 50, 66, 85..) I was hopeful we could do some horse trading and get two of the three. It's not McCann's fault that didn't happen and I just happen to be less enamoured of his potential than the other two.
For comparison, O'Reilly put up some modest numbers during his draft year but somehow the Avs saw that he possessed the attributes that would translate into the NHL and used the 33rd overall pick to select him:

vs.

McCann

So your basis of comparison is that they posted roughly a point per game in the OHL, are viewed as two way players and were drafted near the end of the first round?

I'd love for it to have basis in reality but given McCann is 30 lbs lighter than O'Reilly was when was was drafted, if he does pan out as an impact player it likely won't be for a few years.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

dbr wrote:
Betamax wrote:

vs.

McCann

So your basis of comparison is that they posted roughly a point per game in the OHL, are viewed as two way players and were drafted near the end of the first round?

I'd love for it to have basis in reality but given McCann is 30 lbs lighter than O'Reilly was when was was drafted, if he does pan out as an impact player it likely won't be for a few years.
Uh, so, Dave, what is *your* basis of comparisons where you stated you would have "preferred Barbashev or Scherbak?" How many games did you watch them play vs. McCann, or are you just relying on youtube compilation highlight clips and draft capsule scouting reports of said individuals? :mex: