Canucks select Jake Virtanen at #6

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Canucks select Jake Virtanen at #6

Postby Strangelove » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:55 pm

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Beta, what do u think? Jake "the Snake" Virtanen!!!! :lol:

Todd, what is it with you and your gayass nicknames. :hmmm:
____
"I like to think that this team can get its mojo back" - Ryan Miller
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby Betamax » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:54 pm

Betamax wrote:
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Betamax wrote:The more I learn about him, the more bullish I am on the pick. He seems comparable to The Real Deal Kane, maybe with not as much offensive upside but lower maintenance.

Beta, what do u think? Jake "the Snake" Virtanen!!!! :lol:

Well, all I can say is that Virtanen doesn't end up having to deal with the same personal issues that Mr. Roberts had to face. :mex:

So scouting reports have compared him to Iggy and Betamax has suggested he may be a comparable player to The Real Deal Kane ...... so, duh, what about Jake "White Chocolate" Virtanen? :hmmm:
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby RoyalDude » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:08 pm

When you mix Black and White isn't it brown the colour you get?
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
RoyalDude
CC Legend

Postby SKYO » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:14 am

from hf, should be a good season for Jake this upcoming season.
Hipfan
Longtime Calgary Hitmen fan here...

Jake is an amazing talent and you can tell that even at 17 that he can dominate at the junior level. However, this past year for him was a real catch-22: He didn't play 1st line time with the Calgary Hitmen, as the team constantly went with the older veterans for the PP, the last few minutes, and for the majority of the ice time. The other side of the coin is that while he was getting less ice time and playing with 2nd/3rd line players, he consistently got into a "puck hog" mentality as the guys with him were not at the same offensive level.

Maybe both a cause and effect of his ice time was that Jake, while looking spectacular sometimes, can come off appearing as an immature and selfish player who doesn't utilize his teammates. I, for one, think that's something that Jake can work on and am not shocked that a 17 year-old can sometimes act "immature": that leadership, puck-dishing ability, and character can come this year, and I totally expect him (when he returns from injury) to be playing 1st-line minutes along with Greg Chase, someone who can keep up with Virtanen.

This upcoming 2014-15 season will be the bellwether season for Jake Virtanen: a solid point total, a bunch of games where he will wear a letter for the team, and much much MUCH more ice-time will let us know if he's closer to becoming a player like Rick Nash or Raffi Torres. I think Jake has all the potential to be closer to the player Rick Nash is, it's all in how much he wants to work on it.
SKYO
CC Legend

Postby Todd Bersnoozi » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:21 am

Betamax wrote:Well, all I can say is that Virtanen doesn't end up having to deal with the same personal issues that Mr. Roberts had to face. :mex:

What happened to Jake Roberts? Drugs or something?
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Previous

Return to Canucks Corner Chat