Canucks select Jake Virtanen at #6

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Canucks select Jake Virtanen at #6

Postby RoyalDude » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:41 pm

Throw Matthias on the wing. Are you slaying the bong tonight, Rummy? I can smell it from here.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4605
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Canucks select Jake Virtanen at #6

Postby Rumsfeld » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:45 pm

RoyalDude wrote:Throw Matthias on the wing. Are you slaying the bong tonight, Rummy? I can smell it from here.


I'm waiting for a POF date man.

Kinda nervous 'cause this one's pretty hot so I'm slaying some wine and then Iron Gym.

Bring some chronic down and the old lady.
Cowards die a thousand times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once.
User avatar
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2632
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:48 pm
Location: Pissed in the Canyon

Re: Canucks select Jake Virtanen at #6

Postby RoyalDude » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:47 pm

Rumsfeld wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Throw Matthias on the wing. Are you slaying the bong tonight, Rummy? I can smell it from here.


I'm waiting for a POF date man.

Kinda nervous 'cause this one's pretty hot so I'm slaying some wine and then Iron Gym.

Bring some chronic down and the old lady.


Should the Mrs RD and Chef Boi wander down? I gotta get back on the Iron Gym, started a big reno in BBY, an ugly one, it's a miserable one, my line of work is miserable, I hate it, I wish I was born into Kinder Morgan money like Blobby B Mack, or was an ex-con from East Van like Doc living in Abbey.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4605
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Canucks select Jake Virtanen at #6

Postby Rumsfeld » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:03 pm

RoyalDude wrote:Should the Mrs RD and Chef Boi wander down? I gotta get back on the Iron Gym, started a big reno in BBY, an ugly one, it's a miserable one, my line of work is miserable, I hate it, I wish I was born into Kinder Morgan money like Blobby B Mack, or was an ex-con from East Van like Doc living in Abbey.


Hey man if you can make it snappy head on down.
Cowards die a thousand times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once.
User avatar
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2632
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:48 pm
Location: Pissed in the Canyon

Re: Canucks select Jake Virtanen at #6

Postby Todd Bersnoozi » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:35 am

With #6, I didn't mind ending up with one of Nylander, Ritche or Virtanen. Going with the BC kid who grew up wearing Nasi's #19 is not a bad idea. He looks a bit small right now, but hopefully he'll fill out and become an Owen Nolan/Adam Deadmarsh type player.

We have traditionally went with projected top 2-ways centres with our 1st pick (ie: BoHo, Gaunce, Umberger, P.White, N.Smith and Kesler). Couple panned out, couple didn't, 2 looks like they have a good chance. It's nice to get a projected top sniper/game breaker for once. We haven't had very many of those type of guys in our franchise, Bure then Nasi, that's about it. Hopefully Virtanen can be that guy. I guess Dane Fox has shown some top sniping ability as well, but his stats might be a bit questionable cuz he only did it for 1 year as a 20 year old in juniors. He'll be an interesting guy to follow down in Utica next season.
User avatar
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1291
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:14 pm

Re: Canucks select Jake Virtanen at #6

Postby Lancer » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:22 am

At #6, Virtanen is exactly the kind of player I was hoping Benning would pick. Kid has wheels, a wicked shot and some size. He has a bit of asshole to him as well, which should please many on this board. Good to see us pick a winger, and a fast local boy vice fatso Ritchie or squeaky Nylander.

Give him a year to recuperate his shoulder and maybe get in a WJHC before giving him consideration to make the jump.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
User avatar
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1372
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:41 am
Location: Arnprior, Ontario

Re: Canucks select Jake Virtanen at #6

Postby Mr.Miyagi » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:08 am

I have to admit ... I was more sold on Horvat last year at #9 than Virtanen at #6. That being said, I know nothing about prospects and have to put my faith in the guys that get paid by the club to do so.

I wish JV the best of luck. From what I saw in the interviews he does appear to be genuinely excited to be part of the organization.
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
User avatar
Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 236
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:30 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB

Re: Canucks select Jake Virtanen at #6

Postby Hockey Widow » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:45 am

Rumsfeld wrote:So I think Horvat gets a long look in the NHL this year whether he earns it or not. I'd say Jensen makes the big club as well.

What are the chances this kid (Virtanen) could make it this year? He's got the size, the shot and the skating already.

I'm thinking he's a year away, along with Shinkaruk. McDavid or Eichel will be able to step in right away next year as well. :wink:


Virtanen may not be ready to play again until Oct. He is expected to miss prospects camp and is doubtful to make main camp. Benning said in all likelihood he returns to junior, unless he is ready for main camp and earns a spot. Said he won't be rushed. They want him fully healed before he gets back on the ice and allowed to properly develop. So I think little chance we see him on the team this season.
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4266
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Canucks select Jake Virtanen at #6

Postby Lancer » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:51 am

Hockey Widow wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:So I think Horvat gets a long look in the NHL this year whether he earns it or not. I'd say Jensen makes the big club as well.

What are the chances this kid (Virtanen) could make it this year? He's got the size, the shot and the skating already.

I'm thinking he's a year away, along with Shinkaruk. McDavid or Eichel will be able to step in right away next year as well. :wink:


Virtanen may not be ready to play again until Oct. He is expected to miss prospects camp and is doubtful to make main camp. Benning said in all likelihood he returns to junior, unless he is ready for main camp and earns a spot. Said he won't be rushed. They want him fully healed before he gets back on the ice and allowed to properly develop. So I think little chance we see him on the team this season.


+1

Personally, I would like to see both Virtanen and McCann go back to junior where they can - in Virtanen's case - get back up to speed after his shoulder surgery and - in McCann's case - work on his offensive skills and showcasing that.

Ideally, I would like to see both of them on the WJHC squad this winter. Would make for a much more relevant tournament for me in that event.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
User avatar
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1372
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:41 am
Location: Arnprior, Ontario

Re: Canucks select Jake Virtanen at #6

Postby Hockey Widow » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:57 am

Pretty sure McCann will also be sent back. As you said, he has clear issues to work on. But he does project well.
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4266
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Canucks select Jake Virtanen at #6

Postby Betamax » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:24 am

Cornuck wrote:Profile
2013-14 Team: Calgary League: WHL
Position: Left Wing Height: 6'0"
DOB: Aug. 17, 1996 Weight: 213 lbs.
2013-14 Statistics
Team GP G A PTS +/-
Calgary 71 45 26 71 +23



The more I learn about him, the more bullish I am on the pick. He seems comparable to The Real Deal Kane, maybe with not as much offensive upside but lower maintenance. Given the Canucks' mantra of apparently not wanting to deal with players that bring off-ice drama to the club, as it seems like the Canucks' aren't going to go all-in to bring back the local kid at a high cost from the Jets, they draft a similar type of player. :mex:
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:45 pm
Location: @betamax1080p

Re: Canucks select Jake Virtanen at #6

Postby RoyalDude » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:05 am

Him and Shinkaruks speed and skill on the wing combined with the two of them love for driving to the net will be fun to watch. Both Shink and Virt have chips on the shoulder too. Given that they will have a few quality two way playmaking centres to grow with in Horvat, McCann and Cassels, all is looking up for us. Then you have some big bodied kids in Kassian and Jensen on the other wing not to mention Gaunce who can play wing and the sniper with a chip on his shoulder - Fox. I'm really liking our young forward group moving forward. And then there is Vey. Something is brewing here. Keep forgetting about Bonino
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4605
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Canucks select Jake Virtanen at #6

Postby Topper » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:58 pm

Almost like oil bubbling from the ground.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
 
Posts: 5016
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: Canucks select Jake Virtanen at #6

Postby Todd Bersnoozi » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:13 pm

Betamax wrote:The more I learn about him, the more bullish I am on the pick. He seems comparable to The Real Deal Kane, maybe with not as much offensive upside but lower maintenance.


Beta, what do u think? Jake "the Snake" Virtanen!!!! :lol:
User avatar
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1291
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:14 pm

Re: Canucks select Jake Virtanen at #6

Postby Betamax » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:16 pm

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Betamax wrote:The more I learn about him, the more bullish I am on the pick. He seems comparable to The Real Deal Kane, maybe with not as much offensive upside but lower maintenance.


Beta, what do u think? Jake "the Snake" Virtanen!!!! :lol:


Well, all I can say is that Virtanen doesn't end up having to deal with the same personal issues that Mr. Roberts had to face. :mex:
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:45 pm
Location: @betamax1080p

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], ESQ, Google [Bot], JelloPuddingPop, Yahoo [Bot] and 7 guests