Canucks select Jake Virtanen at #6

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Canucks select Jake Virtanen at #6

Post by Cornuck »

2013-14 Team: Calgary League: WHL
Position: Left Wing Height: 6'0"
DOB: Aug. 17, 1996 Weight: 213 lbs.
2013-14 Statistics
Team GP G A PTS +/-
Calgary 71 45 26 71 +23

Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Canucks select Jake Virtanen at #6

Post by the Dogsalmon »

I am happy with this...
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

From the draft thread:
Island Nucklehead wrote:Don't mind taking Virtanen whatsoever. 6-11 or 12 is kind of a crap-shoot, but I'm happy it's A)a goal scorer, B) a WHL kid, C) a local boy, D) big-bodied physical player. Not a bad consolation prize as opposed to a number 1 pick.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Think about it, the Canucks now have

Bo Horvat
Hunter Shinkaauk
Jake Virtanen
Nicklas Jensen
Brendan Gaunce
Cole Cassels
Ben Hutton
Frankie Corrado
+ the 24th pick & 36th pick.
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

Jovocop wrote:Think about it, the Canucks now have

Bo Horvat
Hunter Shinkaauk
Jake Virtanen
Nicklas Jensen
Brendan Gaunce
Cole Cassels
Ben Hutton
Frankie Corrado
I like the sounds of that
cc oldtimer
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Probably the best guy available.

Ritchie is less skilled and a fatass and Nylander is too small for a Benning pick.

He sure can skate for a big player and his shot looks mint.

Kid joins Horvat as our best prospect.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Rumsfeld wrote: Kid joins Horvat as our best prospect.
Yes. If Horvat becomes our Bergeron, Virtanen has all the tools to be our Jeff Carter. Not bad!
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Jovocop wrote:Think about it, the Canucks now have

Bo Horvat
Hunter Shinkaauk
Jake Virtanen
Nicklas Jensen
Brendan Gaunce
Cole Cassels
Ben Hutton
Frankie Corrado
I've thought about it and my main concern is the lack of high end skill i.e. players with 1st line potential. Shinkaruk is the only person on that list that has a reasonable chance and the Canucks' wanted to allegedly peddle him away for the 1st pick. So maybe they don't think he's the real deal and might be looking to deal him in a future trade. :hmmm:

Is Virtanen a guy that projects to be a 1st line winger? Button projects him as a Raffi Torres 3L type winger. Any credible hockey scouting service that thinks he could be a consistent 30-40 goal scorer in the NHL? :mex:
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Betamax wrote:Any credible hockey scouting service that thinks he could be a consistent 30-40 goal scorer in the NHL? :mex:
:hmmm:

If this was his projection he would've gone 1st overall in this draft.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Aaronp18 wrote:
Betamax wrote:Any credible hockey scouting service that thinks he could be a consistent 30-40 goal scorer in the NHL? :mex:
:hmmm:

If this was his projection he would've gone 1st overall in this draft.
Well, I don't think so. Since The Son of Paul was projected to be a PPG player and the DD compared to Kopitar who is close to a PPG player. It seems like Virtanen be a 50-60+ pts type of player if he reaches his top end potential with it skewed towards goal scoring over playmaking. :mex:
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

i really like the blend of size, skill and speed the club has accumulated up front. It'd be really nice to see some more depth added on D now.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Betamax wrote: Well, I don't think so. Since The Son of Paul was projected to be a PPG player and the DD compared to Kopitar who is close to a PPG player. It seems like Virtanen be a 50-60+ pts type of player if he reaches his top end potential with it skewed towards goal scoring over playmaking. :mex:
That might be SamH and draisaitl's top end potential, but they aren't likely to reach that. Look at how many players are actually PPG players these days.

And if it seems like Virtanen will be a 50-60 point guy with it skewed towards goal scoring would that project him and a 30-40 goal scorer?

:roll:
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

So I think Horvat gets a long look in the NHL this year whether he earns it or not. I'd say Jensen makes the big club as well.

What are the chances this kid (Virtanen) could make it this year? He's got the size, the shot and the skating already.

I'm thinking he's a year away, along with Shinkaruk. McDavid or Eichel will be able to step in right away next year as well. :wink:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Rumsfeld wrote:So I think Horvat gets a long look in the NHL this year whether he earns it or not. I'd say Jensen makes the big club as well.

What are the chances this kid (Virtanen) could make it this year? He's got the size, the shot and the skating already.

I'm thinking he's a year away, along with Shinkaruk. McDavid or Eichel will be able to step in right away next year as well. :wink:
Makes no point sending Horvat back to London, throw the kid to the shark tank. Bonino 2nd line centre and Horvat 3rd, Richardson 4th. Shinkaruk will go to Utica, Jensen will make the club.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

RoyalDude wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:So I think Horvat gets a long look in the NHL this year whether he earns it or not. I'd say Jensen makes the big club as well.

Makes no point sending Horvat back to London, throw the kid to the shark tank. Bonino 2nd line centre and Horvat 3rd, Richardson 4th. Shinkaruk will go to Utica, Jensen will make the club.
Where's your boi Matthias gonna play.... 4th line wing?

Dorsett and Sestito already have those spots nailed down. :?