Draft Day 2014

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Draft Day 2014

Post by mathonwy »

Mëds wrote: The 3rd was a swap in the Kesler trade which was then moved to acquire Dorsett.
And the general consensus is, this is over-payment. From the Rags boards, Dorsett looks to be a good hard nosed shit disturbing player but definitely not worth a third. You also have to take into consideration that the Rangers only traded Dorsett because of cap concerns. Unless Benning knows something that nobody knows, this is not a good trade.

Have a read in the comments for a Ranger fan perspective:
Mëds wrote: The 7th was a cast-off to dump Garrison and his salary.
I don't understand having to THROW in a 7th round pick and the rights to Costello to get rid of Jason Garrison. Garrison might have had a poor year (like everyone else on the Canucks) last season however, he's not garbage. Washington, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Islanders are teams that come to mind that could use an upgrade on their D.

Mëds wrote: The 2nd was to acquire Linden Fey, a young player with promise. It was also the return on Garrison and not our own pick.
Decent trade. Vey has a lot of upside.

---

On my scorecard, Benning is 2 for 4 in trades. The Kesler trade was cleaning up Gillis's shit. Wish we could have gotten Smith-Pelly though. However, Benning gets a 1 for 1 in decisiveness. The guy doesn't waste time that's for sure.
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

Based on the lower quality of players in this draft Dorsett may have been worth a 3rd. Last year or next year he may have fetched a 4th/5th.

If you read a few McCann interviews he says "it is what it is" more than Bertuzzi.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Round 5

Round 6

Round 7

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

mathonwy wrote:Round 5

Round 6

Round 7

How did we get a 7th if we traded it to Tampa?
The only HW the Canucks need
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Hockey Widow wrote:
How did we get a 7th if we traded it to Tampa?
2015 draft.

I had the same question. :)
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote: How did we get a 7th if we traded it to Tampa?
2015, was it not?
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Must be. Thanks.i guess they don't think McDavid or Eichel will drop that far?
The only HW the Canucks need
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

mathonwy wrote:
Mëds wrote: The 3rd was a swap in the Kesler trade which was then moved to acquire Dorsett.
And the general consensus is, this is over-payment. From the Rags boards, Dorsett looks to be a good hard nosed shit disturbing player but definitely not worth a third. You also have to take into consideration that the Rangers only traded Dorsett because of cap concerns. Unless Benning knows something that nobody knows, this is not a good trade.

Have a read in the comments for a Ranger fan perspective:
The energy that Dorsett brought to the Rangers this post-season was very important.

How many 3rd round picks have never played in the NHL.....and wasn't this considered a weak draft?

And I will consider that the Rangers only traded Dorsett because of cap concerns.....tells me that they wanted to keep him but couldn't afford to do so.

This trade isn't a steal for the Canucks, but it will probably end up being fair value both ways unless Keegan Iverson turns into a good 3rd line center.
mathonwy wrote:
Mëds wrote: The 7th was a cast-off to dump Garrison and his salary.
I don't understand having to THROW in a 7th round pick and the rights to Costello to get rid of Jason Garrison. Garrison might have had a poor year (like everyone else on the Canucks) last season however, he's not garbage. Washington, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Islanders are teams that come to mind that could use an upgrade on their D.
The 7th and Costello (who?) were added to offset the cap-hit that Tampa was taking on in Garrison. He just became their second highest paid defenseman. It was a salary dump, pure and simple.

mathonwy wrote: On my scorecard, Benning is 2 for 4 in trades. The Kesler trade was cleaning up Gillis's shit. Wish we could have gotten Smith-Pelly though. However, Benning gets a 1 for 1 in decisiveness. The guy doesn't waste time that's for sure.
For me he's 4 for 4. The decision was made that Garrison didn't fit, but Garrison controlled where he got to go thanks to the needless NTC that Gillis gave him. The only teams Garrison was interested in going to were the Lightning and the Panthers, and one of them didn't want him. I won't take credit away from a guy when he's handcuffed by another person's mistake.

If Dorsett adds that "Torres" factor that we have missed since Gillis decided that Raffi didn't fit here, then this trade is fine. We've lacked players that want to be out there just to stir shit up and get physical. It seems like most of our 4th line guys of late have been under the impression that they should be playing like the Sedins.

The Kesler trade is fine. Would have liked the 10th but we weren't getting that, especially when the whole world knew that Kesler was only willing to go to Chicago or Anaheim.

I don't really see the hype on Smith-Pelly. He might just be the next Joel Ward.
Last edited by Meds on Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Mëds wrote:I don't really see the hype on Smith-Pelly. He might just be the next Joel Ward.
LOL, why would you compare those two players.

Are you a closet racist Mëds?

If we drafted a black Swede would those season tickets go right in the trash bin?

:drink:
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Rumsfeld wrote:
Mëds wrote:I don't really see the hype on Smith-Pelly. He might just be the next Joel Ward.
LOL, why would you compare those two players.

Are you a closet racist Mëds?

If we drafted a black Swede would those season tickets go right in the trash bin?

:drink:
Only if he had blonde hair.
Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rayxor »

Our farm teams will have lots of size in a few years.
ImageImageImage
bckev
CC Veteran

Post by bckev »

I thought we had the rangers fifth from the diaz trade.
black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by black ace »

Overall Im pretty happy with the last few days. IMO the organization should know in 3 years if a player is still a prospect or if he will be a bust. If you look at our prospect list (prior to this weekend) we had no real prospects that are on the farm that are 20-23 year old. A team needs players in their early 20's developing in the minors. If you look at our farm it was absolutely brutal. A few scrubs like Kellen Lain but nothing with any upside at all. The only real prospects we have are players that have been drafted in the last 2 (now 3) drafts.

I like that we are acquiring players who will fit in the bottom 6 like Dorsett as well. The strength of the 2011 team and all successful teams is depth. The last few seasons we have broken camp without any legitimate depth especially down the middle.

There is obviously still work to do in goal (we need a veteran to push Lack) and the 2nd line needs some attention but you can see that there appears to be a plan.
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion
Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rayxor »

I am somewhat surprised we didn't pick up any Dmen in our higher picks. Roland Mckeown was rated higher than his selection and was picked with the 50th that we gave for Vey. I'm assuming they are going to stay with our core Dmen for the most part, who aren't that old anyway, and bring in whatever is needed via trade or UFAs. Outside of Ekblad, there wasn't anyone who was going to be a top 4 for at least 3-4 years and I suppose Benning preferred to address needs in the near future with NHL ready guys rather than forcing kids in before they are ready.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

mathonwy wrote:On my scorecard, Benning is 2 for 4 in trades.
LOL

Thanks Mathowny.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.