Kesler traded to Anaheim!

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Kesler traded to Anaheim!

Post by Diehard1 »

Ok trade, not spectacular but it had to be done. Nice to be moving on from this circus for a bit.

With this trade,the Garrison one and Booth's buyout obviously something big is up - you don't clear $7 million in cap space when you already have plenty. 5 picks in the top 66 is also as many as this team have ever had.

My guess? They are speaking with buffalo about the second overall if they can't get the first. Buffalo has been trying to get another first rounder for a while so perhaps it's 6 and 24 for 2. Who knows, all I know for sure is it's evident they are looking to blow this thing up good and I for one am going to enjoy the ride.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

I guess we'll see what transpires by October, however these early moves have a "lets hang on to mediocrity" feel - and although I can totally get why Linden and Benning would try to get in the playoffs with no real chance at a Championship rather than a longer more painful path - the longer more painful path will still be there when they're done with hanging on to mediocrity.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Madcombinepilot wrote:The names don't really matter, it's the character of the dressing room that will allow teammates to outperform their contacts, and go deep Into the playoffs. Team Character builds teams, not individual character.
That all sounds wonderful except it's not true. The names totally matter. Looks at the teams that have gone deep the last five years, they tend to be stacked with talent.

All the character in the world doesn't get a shitty roster to the Final. This isn't the Eastern Conference.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I disagree SC. Both Kesler and Garrison held the cards and had incredibly short lists. Garrison was obviously a cap dump. They told him he did not fit in the top four moving forward so they were prepared to let him go. He only agreed to Florida. If neither player had a NTC we would have done better. But there it is.

More change coming.
The only HW the Canucks need
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote: More change coming.
Let's hope so.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Southern_Canuck wrote:I guess we'll see what transpires by October, however these early moves have a "lets hang on to mediocrity" feel - and although I can totally get why Linden and Benning would try to get in the playoffs with no real chance at a Championship rather than a longer more painful path - the longer more painful path will still be there when they're done with hanging on to mediocrity.

S_C
What are you on about?

We just traded our second best player for a 2nd/3rd liner, a young players who hasn't lived up to his potential and a first round draft pick. How is that hanging on to mediocrity?

We traded Garrison for nothing.

As of right now we are a significantly worse team. Now, let's see what Benning does before September before we claim this is all mediocre. The Canucks have dumped two problems, with two more to go (Burrows and Hansen). Let's see the whole picture before we call the whole situation mediocre.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
CorranHorn wrote:What are you ughhing about?
The return is less than I was hoping for.

IMO, the Canucks should have been able to get one of Etem/DSP/10th overall as the main piece coming back, not Bonino, who is not going to replace Kesler whatsoever.
dbr wrote:So I guess getting two roster players allows them to move Garrison for futures?
Well I'd wager picking up Sbisa allows Lindenning to move one of Tanev or Garrison. The 24th might help us get up to 1st overall.
Tank it Trev!™
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Why is everyone so hot to trade Hansen?

Good work ethic, good team guy, good cap hit for a 3rd/4th line utility guy...

Do we have higher expectations of him or something??
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Madcombinepilot wrote:Why is everyone so hot to trade Hansen?

Veteran.

Ree Bild.

McDavid.

8-)
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

Madcombinepilot wrote:Why is everyone so hot to trade Hansen?

He scores - but not enough to be a 2nd liner.

He checks - but doesn't consistently do productive stuff with the puck when he wins it.

He hits - but nobody playing in the Pacific Division would feel it.

Not skilled/smart enough to be a top-6 winger. Not big or belligerent enough to be a bottom-6 winger.

Pretty much sums it up IMHO.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

This is fucking terrible. We get Sbisa instead of Theodore.
We get the 24th instead of the 10th...plus they get to upgrade their 3rd rounder and we move down.
To make matters worse, the "young" center is only 2 or 3yrs you get than Kesler.
Of all the riches the Ducks have & this is the best JB could do?!?!
I would have rather kept RK like JB threatened.
Fuck Anaheim if they wouldn't pony up!
Fuck Kesler if he wouldn't expand his prima Dina "list".
This, people, is a complete fail.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Arachnid wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
CorranHorn wrote:What are you ughhing about?
The return is less than I was hoping for.

IMO, the Canucks should have been able to get one of Etem/DSP/10th overall as the main piece coming back, not Bonino, who is not going to replace Kesler whatsoever.
dbr wrote:So I guess getting two roster players allows them to move Garrison for futures?
Well I'd wager picking up Sbisa allows Lindenning to move one of Tanev or Garrison. The 24th might help us get up to 1st overall.
Tank it Trev!™
TiT.

I like it.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Mondi wrote:Bonino is younger, cheaper, and has no baggage.

There are no rumours about him and a teammate's wife. There are no rumours about his teammates stripping him of the alternate captaincy. And, he wants to be here.

Not only is the trade a little bit of addition by subtraction, Bonino outscored Kesler last year and we got another first round pick.

Decent deal.
Kesler is shagging someone's old lady??

50 shades of Brown??
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ClamRussel wrote:This is fucking terrible. We get Sbisa instead of Theodore.
Yes, and Theodore is an absolute LOCK to be a PPQB in the NHL.
We get the 24th instead of the 10th...plus they get to upgrade their 3rd rounder and we move down.
About the only thing wrong with this trade is the lack of the 10th.
To make matters worse, the "young" center is only 2 or 3yrs you get than Kesler.
4 years younger actually. Kesler turns 30 this year, Bonino just turned 26.....and actually put up more points than Kesler did this year.
Of all the riches the Ducks have & this is the best JB could do?!?!
Well I'm sure he asked for Bonino, Etem, the 10th, Theodore, and Silvferberg, but then the drugs he gave Murray wore off and it fell apart.
I would have rather kept RK like JB threatened.
Why? Bonino put up more points, and Kesler apparently wanted out of here badly.
Fuck Anaheim if they wouldn't pony up!
Fuck Kesler if he wouldn't expand his prima Dina "list".
This, people, is a complete fail.
Go toss back a pint and come back to revisit this. You're posting on emotion.....and I'm a good one for that. ;)
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

BurningBeard wrote:
Jovocop wrote: Indeed
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
Kesler's agent, Kurt Overhardt has high praise for Canucks GM Jim Benning. Says Benning worked very hard with the 2 teams given (Chi-Ana).
Well, shit, I'm glad Kesler's agent is happy, this puts the deal in a whole new persepective. :hmmm:

I'm going to reserve judgment on this deal until RD reports in and lets us know whether or not Bonino is a tweener.
BD loves all Wops that come here at first...then his cheap asshole alchy Scot side kicks in and he wants to separate from them... :|
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)