Kesler traded to Anaheim!

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Jovocop
CC Legend

Re: Kesler traded to Anaheim!

Post by Jovocop »

Kowch wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:How the fuck does Anaheim keep the 10th overall and get Kesler.
Because (as has been pointed out) that Kesler's list of teams he was willing to be traded to was basically 2 teams thus hamstringing any leverage Benning might have had.

Pretty simple really. It's why I'm not super disappointed. There's still the opportunity to move up to get Reinhart AND have a first round pick @ 24 AND two serviceable players. Not bad really.
Indeed
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
Kesler's agent, Kurt Overhardt has high praise for Canucks GM Jim Benning. Says Benning worked very hard with the 2 teams given (Chi-Ana).
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

So Anaheim was one of the teams on the list and Anaheim had a high pick, which was what we were allegedly looking for for Kesler, and now we should be happy we didn't get it?

There's a huge difference between 10th and 24th. The 10th would have probably landed us a much better player than Bonino.

I mean it's not the worst trade ever but I feel like we should have insisted on the 10th and Bonino. They can keep the spare-part D-man.

Anyway it's done, and that's a good thing. Let's see if we can use some of these assets to score Reinhart.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Kowch wrote:There's still the opportunity to move up to get Reinhart AND have a first round pick @ 24 AND two serviceable players. Not bad really.
It wasn't that long ago that we were happy with a 24th pick! :D
2021 - Playoff Bound
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

If Bonino was offered up at the trade deadline this is pretty much the deal MG would have had, except swap out the 24th for the 10th.

Let's recap this thing logically:

1) Kesler demands a trade but denies it passionately, so much so that his teammates believe him

2) Kesler almost traded to Anaheim at the tdl but Anaheim refuses to part with any roster players

3) Benning and Linden can't convince Kesler to stay. His teammates now find out he did ask for a trade. Some teammates feel betrayed, not at his asking for a trade but at him denying it to them

4) Kesler digs in and wants to go

5) Chicago has major cap concerns and won't part with any top prospects. Leddy is the d'man they offer, plus a first plus Another lesser roster player.

6) Anaheim makes it's final offer

7) a few other teams kick the tires and Kesler camp takes 24 hours to think about it

8) Kesler camp comes back with a firm to Chicago or Anaheim, top choice still Anaheim. Kesler camp somewhat concerned about optics of going to Chicago and the impact it could have on endorsements but still willing to go there. Chicago can't get the deals done to save cap in time and don't increase offer.

9) Anaheim puts Vancouver on a clock as they are prepared to take Spezza, and give up less.

10) Benning wants this done before the draft. Had other logs in the fire. Deal is done, drama over, time to move on.

We all over value our own players and it was fun to fantasize. The reality is that we didn't have an open market to trade Kesler. If we did we could have gotten the first overall. But it didn't exist. The Ducks were prepared to part with the future at the tdl but now were willing to part with some of the present. Bonino is the prize piece in all of this. Picking up an extra third this year is also ok. Not too worried about next year.

A good hockey trade for Anaheim, they get the best player. But a hockey trade for us. Not a home run by any stretch but a decent return for a disgruntled player, that wanted out and held the cards with respect to where he goes. Different from Nash or Heatly with respect to the term he has left, only two years.

Sad to see Kesler go and I wish him all the best. The core here is done. This move may make it easier to get others outta here and as others have said, we pick up a little more cap.
The only HW the Canucks need
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Jovocop wrote: Indeed
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
Kesler's agent, Kurt Overhardt has high praise for Canucks GM Jim Benning. Says Benning worked very hard with the 2 teams given (Chi-Ana).
Well, shit, I'm glad Kesler's agent is happy, this puts the deal in a whole new persepective. :hmmm:

I'm going to reserve judgment on this deal until RD reports in and lets us know whether or not Bonino is a tweener.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Anaheim got the best player in the trade. At face value, they win this transaction. If they don't win a cup before Kesler hits free agency, maybe things will be evaluated differently.

In two years, when he is a UFA, Kesler will be a 32 year old aging veteran. He already has a spotty injury history. It's hard to believe that will get any better in Anaheim.

I'm not over the moon, but then again Bonino and the 24th overall draft pick are good assets. I was banking on us getting back that 10th pick, but I'm happy this thing isn't going to drag on any longer and we can look forward a bit.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
CorranHorn wrote:What are you ughhing about?
The return is less than I was hoping for.

IMO, the Canucks should have been able to get one of Etem/DSP/10th overall as the main piece coming back, not Bonino, who is not going to replace Kesler whatsoever.
dbr wrote:So I guess getting two roster players allows them to move Garrison for futures?
Well I'd wager picking up Sbisa allows Lindenning to move one of Tanev or Garrison. The 24th might help us get up to 1st overall.
We're finally "IN" on the same page, bro. A meh trade at best unless Linden's Army can turn quantity into quality by flipping these "asset(s)" for like the 1st pick.

I'd hope they flip Sbisa and/or Garrison, add the 24th and 6th for the 1st overall. :mex:
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Am I the only one who is relieved to see the end of an era here in Vancouver?

Kesler going really signifies rebuild. We don't have a choice now.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Well I think what it shows is that Benning, although reluctant, did Kesler a solid. The only other option we had was to keep him. We all saw how that played out with Luongo and having a GM that simply could not pull the trigger.

Benning didn't want prospects as the keystone of the trade. I'm sure he would have loved roster player with more upside but he wasn't going to get it.

In reality the debate should be about one thing:

1) should we have kept Kesler

2) should we have traded Kesler for Bonino, that guy on defence whose name I can't spell yet, the 24th and a swap of 3rds.

That's the only debate left folks. Not what we could have should have done.
The only HW the Canucks need
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

The "end of an era" in Calgary started the same way - with a Phaneuf for Matt Stajan and Ian White trade.

They tried a few more veteran retreads (Jokinen, Cammalleri, etc), but eventually they accepted that they needed to tear the Calgary core apart and they netted mediocre future prospects and a couple of first round picks for Iginla and Bouwmeester. And Kiprusoff retired with a year left on his contract.

Hey - at least the Canucks got a 1st round pick along with their Stajan and White!

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

dbr wrote:So I guess getting two roster players allows them to move Garrison for futures? At least the drama of a "Ryan Kesler Situation" is over? Uhhh is there a silver lining here somewhere?
That is the silver lining. You don't have that potential dark cloud hovering around the franchise
Bob McKenzie's consensus list has guys like Barbashev and Scherbak still on the board in the 20's?
Well, if the Canucks' can't trade up to No. 1 pick, and are conservative with their 6th pick (i.e. they don't go high risk/high reward with someone like Nylander or Ehlers) ... I hope they take a home run swing @ 24 or 36 with Anthony DeAngelo or Josh Ho-Sang. :mex:
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

Rumsfeld wrote:I mean it's not the worst trade ever but I feel like we should have insisted on the 10th and Bonino.

And Anaheim probably insisted 10th means no deal....and we wait and sit on Kes another few months..or till the next deadline, and so the merry go round keeps going round and round....

I mean you never want to make a trade for the sake of making a trade but sometimes you need to and in this case I think we needed to even if we were handcuffed by ONE trade partner (thanks Kes! :mad:). It had to be done. If that's the best we could get, so be it, it's done.

Now it's incumbent on the new regime to do a much better job with the 24th pick than what past regimes have done recently with their 20's (Pat White, Jordan Schroeder..uughh).

Should also add I was pretty blown away by Bonino watching this year. Couldn't believe the jump from past years. The guy was a beast in the playoffs. A little scary though given his age...could it be a one-off year or are we getting that for the next 5 plus years??
Last edited by Nuckertuzzi on Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blaster86
CC Veteran

Post by Blaster86 »

Southern_Canuck wrote:The "end of an era" in Calgary started the same way - with a Phaneuf for Matt Stajan and Ian White trade.

They tried a few more veteran retreads (Jokinen, Cammalleri, etc), but eventually they accepted that they needed to tear the Calgary core apart and they netted mediocre future prospects and a couple of first round picks for Iginla and Bouwmeester. And Kiprusoff retired with a year left on his contract.

Hey - at least the Canucks got a 1st round pick along with their Stajan and White!

S_C
This is not a good comparison.

Phaneuf was younger and at the time had a much higher ceiling and was expected to only get better.

Sutter had two options to fix the room. Trade Regher : Trade Phaneuf. He opted to do the latter, despite the fact Regher was showing wear and tear and was by all accounts the player who initiated the stuff with Dion. Sutter went to the phones and made the first trade that was offered despite Phaneuf having no NTC and not seeing who else was interested in Dion (much like the Thronton trade, GMs said had they known Dion was on the block they would have offered a lot more than what Toronto gave up).

In this situation, Kesler is not going to get better. The hope Anaheim has is that he returns to form but that's no guarantee. Everyone knew Kesler was going, and teams made their offers. The number of teams were limited because of a NMC for Kesler so we didn't have the same options that Sutter had with the Phaneuf deal. The two or three GMs who could deal for Kesler, thanks to the NMC, likely knew what the other was offering and so there was no need to throw a home run trade out. Why blow the Canucks away if you know the competition is nickel and diming? Try and get him for less than you can offer to make more deals later.

In my mind, Benning got all he was going to get and we should be happy since we get some replacement pieces for more moves and a pick. In the case of the Phaneuf deal, Sutter fucked up hard despite having many options open to him. The Flames still haven't recovered from that absolute waste of assets (remember they also gave up a guy who became an NHLer in Aulie). The Hodgson deal would be more apt (moving our best prospect for one that another team might have given up for a lot less).
Last edited by Blaster86 on Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Southern_Canuck wrote:The "end of an era" in Calgary started the same way - with a Phaneuf for Matt Stajan and Ian White trade.

S_C
Except for the fact that the Flames "era" wasn't anything like ours. A miracle trip to the Finals and a single division title.

So far we haven't brought any re-treads, like Jokinen, in. Although I can see it happening. But we aren't going to see them as solutions, rather stop-gaps as we build from within for a couple of years.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

In the end, Benning did the best he could with a guy who didn't want to be here, and was able to dictate where he went. End of story.

This team needed to get drama free in order to get better.
You cant put a price tag on a drama free dressing room.

I don't see this as the start of a rebuild. It's the start of the changing of the guard. Moving some of the veteran core allows us to start building a new team identity. Our last team identity got us to game 7. We need a new identity. The names don't really matter, it's the character of the dressing room that will allow teammates to outperform their contacts, and go deep Into the playoffs. Team Character builds teams, not individual character.

We needed to change the character of our team and Benning and Linden are doing that.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.