Kesler traded to Anaheim!

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Kesler traded to Anaheim!

Post by Cornuck »

Not quite the blockbuster most of us were waiting for, and quite underwhelming for the first move by our new management team, but I have to guess that this is the first step in a sequence or trades today.
2021 - Playoff Bound
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Somewhat disappointing.

I like Nick Bonino. I don't know much about Sbisa. He only played 30 games last year, what's up with that?

I wouldn't thought the 10th would have been a given in this trade, so the 24th is a disappointment.

Four first round picks in two years is promising though.

Now, can we get Reinhart without losing one of Horvat or Shinkaruk? That would be beautiful.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

With Richards, Bonino and Mathias as our bottom 3 centres, the bar has been set for Horvat to play.

He no longer has to beat out a selke winner for the 2nd line Center slot.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Bonino had a breakout year, could be quite a good fit. This is not great, not the fantasy take for RK, but given what we went through with RL, I'd say I can live with this. Not doing backflips over this, but #24 pick and Bonino are legitimate assets. Sbisa, ehh, maybe a decent 5/6 guy.
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

BladesofSteel wrote: Must wait on how the day unfolds before judging, but the return is very discouraging seeing as they dealt him to a division rival.
Agree

Perhaps it's the first of a sequence of deals for the Canucks, but Anaheim fans must be pretty happy right now. Getzlaf-Kesler is an ugly 1-2 for any team to try and match up against.
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

CorranHorn wrote:Second year in a row where we have two first round picks plus on in the top ten.

It'll be three next year when Edler gets traded by deadline time. A must do for the deep crop next year.

That's part of my master plan - 3 straight years with two first rounders - best way to get a head start on the rebuild. Just wish we had a few more "futures" in the Kesler deal.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

I think what is clear from the return is that Benning and Linden don't want "futures", they want "right nows".

With the choices they might have had from Anaheim's assets, they decided to ask for some average NHL players rather than prospects like Emerson Etem, Richard Rakell, or Shea Theodore.

Hope it works out, but it feels like an attempt to squeak into the playoffs and generate playoff revenue, not an attempt to build a legit Stanley Cup contender.

S_C
Last edited by Southern_Canuck on Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
It's a great day for hockey!
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Not a home run by any stretch of the imagination, that's for sure.

This opens up a bit of cap space though. Bonino-Kassian has the makings of something as a line.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Ducks fans have Sbisa as a 6/7. He showed promise earlier in his career, but his hockey IQ is apparently lacking. He couldn't get into Anaheim's top-6 on a consistent basis. Not exactly a solid roster player, although he should make Betamax happy, as he's 24-years old and fits with his "youth is best" narrative.

On the plus side, Bonino's contract is quite good, should he stay near 50-points. $1.9M until the end of 2016/17.

Canucks now have over $17M in cap space, with 17 roster players, and Tanev and Kassian as the only significant RFA's to sign. Could have $12m-ish to use in Free Agency.

Still, not a whole lot to like about this trade. Hopefully the Canucks can package that 24th with the 6th and a player to move up in the draft.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Hopefully the Canucks can package that 24th with the 6th and a player to move up in the draft.
good thought

If Benning pulls that off I will be stoked. Kesler for Bonino and playing a significant role in getting that first overall without losing Horvat, Shinkaruk or Jensen would be an OK day.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Boston Canucker wrote:but given what we went through with RL,
We've now traded away two big name players in less than four months who were (reportedly) willing to waive their NTCs for three teams combined.

In this moment I would not be sorry if the team never signed a contract with a(n unlimited) movement clause again.
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

We get a younger, healthier center in Bonino with a good contract (THREE more seasons at $1.9M per) that has started his prime seasons, and hell he even outscored Kesler last season!

Kesler - 77gp 25g 18a 43pts -15
Bonino - 77gp 22g 27a 49pts +14

And in the past 2 seasons in the playoffs for Bonino in 20 games has 7 goals 5 assists +5
Displays solid two-way instincts, as well as leadership skills.
Works hard to improve his game.
Has the ability come up big with the game on the line.
Owns untapped offensive upside.
Last edited by SKYO on Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

dbr wrote:
We've now traded away two big name players in less than four months who were (reportedly) willing to waive their NTCs for three teams combined.

In this moment I would not be sorry if the team never signed a contract with a(n unlimited) movement clause again.
These NTCs really fucked us in the end.

Kesler demands a trade and then gives a list of two teams? Give me a break, man. Way to screw the organization (and fans) that helped make you the player you are today.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

How the fuck does Anaheim keep the 10th overall and get Kesler.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

dbr wrote:

Two players with NTC are gone and Garrison + possibly another player with NTC are on the way out. There should be around 5-6 players with NTCs left at the end of the day...