Kesler traded to Anaheim!

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Kesler traded to Anaheim!

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Cornuck wrote:
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:I guessKes's NTC was a big factor in the deal. He really controlled where he wanted to go and it probably handcuffed he fucked over Benning the Canucks big time.
FYP
*LOL* :lol:

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Ya Bieksa was pretty peeved when Kesler lied about asking for a trade. Remember when Bieksa was asked about it on after hours and he basically said he asked Kesler and Kesler told him he never asked for a trade and was committed to staying. Bieksa said something like I asked him and he told me to my face it wasn't true so I take him at his word, then added he was going down with the ship.

To find out later that Kesler had asked for a trade then lied to his teammates got Bieksa pretty peeved. He wasn't peeved about Kesler asking for a trade but about his speech in the dressing room denying the rumour and saying he was in in til the end crap.
The only HW the Canucks need

Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Meds wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:Bonino isn't that great. He's a third line center on a deep team. He racked up some PP points last year and has some awesome hands, but he's not physical at all and in his late twenties.

He's a nice player but way, way inferior to Ryan Kesler. We could have resigned Santorelli and filled the same hole with a comparable guy.
Yeah, 3rd line on a deep team.

But he was 3rd in scoring on that team behind Getzlaf and Perry.
Yeah, he had a great season on the PP. With some truly elite teammates.

Not trying to knock the guy, just saying he's a third-liner.

Obviously it was a tough position for Benning to deal from, but maybe we should have held on to Kesler until he expanded his list or Anaheim caved on the #10.

Hopefully there's a nice player available at #24 if we don't flip it in the next hour.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society

Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Mondi wrote:Bonino is younger, cheaper, and has no baggage.

There are no rumours about him and a teammate's wife. There are no rumours about his teammates stripping him of the alternate captaincy. And, he wants to be here.

Not only is the trade a little bit of addition by subtraction, Bonino outscored Kesler last year and we got another first round pick.

Decent deal.
+1. I didn't say it. :lol:

herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Rumsfeld wrote:Yeah, he had a great season on the PP. With some truly elite teammates.

Not trying to knock the guy, just saying he's a third-liner.

Obviously it was a tough position for Benning to deal from, but maybe we should have held on to Kesler until he expanded his list or Anaheim caved on the #10.

Hopefully there's a nice player available at #24 if we don't flip it in the next hour.
You're probably correct. But a middle six forward with decent hands who can score on the PP isn't exactly useless.

Benning was in an impossible situation with respect to Ryan Kesler. I am still a bit blown away that the trade list was two teams...what an asshole.

Our issue now is what to do with all of these bottom six players we have...surely Hansen is gone before too long. I'd like to see Higgins stick around. Bonino-Horvat-Higgins? I dunno...

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Ritchie goes 10th to the Ducks - ouch!!!
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy

BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Madcombinepilot wrote:Good work ethic, good team guy, good cap hit for a 3rd/4th line utility guy...
Sounds like a tweener.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

So, in essence, we trade Kesler, and a third, and get:

Bonino
Sbisa
Dorsett
McCann
The only HW the Canucks need

Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

I like this deal. I wanted Bonino and the 10th but what the heck. Sbiza was a good prospect when he was drafted, so what happened. Maybe a change of scenery and an injury free start will rekindle those skills. The 24th turned out to be better than I though as McCann is no slouch. He was ranked 15th by The Hockey News. So far so good. We have a pile of Cap space, we are tougher, we have youth. No Kesler getting hurt again. No frenzy about will he stay or will he go, he's gone and we are the better for it. Virtanen is a great pick, although if we had been able to grab Nylander as well I would have danced a jig. Quite a nice days work by Messieurs Linden and Benning.

Now bring on the Free Agents. I'm sure there are players that have been targeted and I'm sure the figure skaters will whine about who they bring in, but I sure hope we get bigger and meaner. Really tired of seeing the Sedins getting speed bagged and no one doing anything about it.

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Gone. Want out, don't let the door slam you on the ass.

Bonino burned Vancouver a few times this season, played 1st unit PP and is young enough to keep developing.

Can Anaheim afford Kesler in two years? Could be a rental.

Sbisa is cheap and was passed over on the Duck depth chart while injured. Ho-hum, wait for it.

Kesler, at maybe his peak if injury history doesn't interfere, went for a bunch of guys with potential.

If the locker room BS story is true, adios mutherfucker.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Topper wrote:Gone. Want out, don't let the door slam you on the ass.

Bonino burned Vancouver a few times this season, played 1st unit PP and is young enough to keep developing.

Can Anaheim afford Kesler in two years? Could be a rental.

Sbisa is cheap and was passed over on the Duck depth chart while injured. Ho-hum, wait for it.

Kesler, at maybe his peak if injury history doesn't interfere, went for a bunch of guys with potential.

If the locker room BS story is true, adios mutherfucker.
That's a 2 year lease at a minimum. Not a bad move for the Ducks to make when their two big guns are of similar age and during the next 2 years, the now Big 3 are still in their prime. So they had to take that chance, IMO. :mex:

ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

My guess is everyone will be a little less sorry to lose Kesler in 365 days when we draft McDavid!

Oh it`s true its damn true! :mex:
Last edited by ODB on Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P

Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

ODB wrote:My guess is everyone will be a little less sorry to Kesler in 365 days when we draft McDavid!

The only way I see the Canucks being that bad is if they give the Sedins, Hamhuis and Bieksa "the Garrison treatment" ..... I don't see that happening. :mex:

ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Betamax wrote:
ODB wrote:My guess is everyone will be a little less sorry to Kesler in 365 days when we draft McDavid!

The only way I see the Canucks being that bad is if they give the Sedins, Hamhuis and Bieksa "the Garrison treatment" ..... I don't see that happening. :mex:
IDK, They came damn close to the 1st overall last season with Lou (65% of the season) and Kesler.
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P

Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

ODB wrote:
Betamax wrote:

IDK, They came damn close to the 1st overall last season with Lou (65% of the season) and Kesler.
Yeah, but they had shitty coaching.

I think FIN could have done a better job last season behind the bench. :hmmm:

Torts' talked the talk ... but when it came to walking the walk, he seemed more interested in walking his dogs. :mex: