Gino Odjick last fight: battles terminal heart disease

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Gino Odjick last fight: battles terminal heart disease

Post by Betamax »

In light of Gino's situation, there is momentum growing to honour him in some meaningful manner. It's been suggested by @PeteSchaad on TEAM radio this morning that the Ring of Honour would be the most suitable medium to do so. He cited Harold Snepts who is a ROH member as precedent for a Canucks' player that had similar qualities and resonance with the fan base.

I would agree.

What's your take on this? :mex:
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Betamax wrote:In light of Gino's situation, there is momentum growing to honour him in some meaningful manner. It's been suggested by @PeteSchaad on TEAM radio this morning that the Ring of Honour would be the most suitable medium to do so. He cited Harold Snepts who is a ROH member as precedent for a Canucks' player that had similar qualities and resonance with the fan base.

I would agree.

Just to update this .... the TEAM RADIO online poll today had it at 64% Yes, 36% No, to Induct Gino to the Ring of Honour.

Interestingly enough, Betamax in his former haunts @hfb posted the question to the users last year back on Nov. 28th, 2013 and the results were the polar opposite, 26.88% Yes and 73.12% No.

via: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showt ... ?t=1548095

:mex:
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Rumsfeld wrote:Bad news for a bad ass.

I'll never forget the game six in '95 against the Blues when he went nuclear and took on everybody. :lol: Fucking trying to grab a terrified Brett Hull by the jersey while swinging at some other dude.

I remember watching that game at a sports bar in Vegas when he was chasing Anderson all over the ice. That was awesome .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:Bad news for a bad ass.

I'll never forget the game six in '95 against the Blues when he went nuclear and took on everybody. :lol: Fucking trying to grab a terrified Brett Hull by the jersey while swinging at some other dude.

I remember watching that game at a sports bar in Vegas when he was chasing Anderson all over the ice. That was awesome .
Classic! Best Gino moment ever.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

____
Try to focus on someday.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

via: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=61436

On Gino Odjick and the Honest Tough Guy
July 22, 2014, 12:33 PM ET
Paul Stewart
I would take a Gino Odjick type of player on my team any time. As a referee, I'd gladly deal with an honorable tough guy like Odjick instead of a stickwork artist or a head-hunting predator.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Betamax wrote:
Betamax wrote:In light of Gino's situation, there is momentum growing to honour him in some meaningful manner. It's been suggested by @PeteSchaad on TEAM radio this morning that the Ring of Honour would be the most suitable medium to do so. He cited Harold Snepts who is a ROH member as precedent for a Canucks' player that had similar qualities and resonance with the fan base.

I would agree.

Just to update this .... the TEAM RADIO online poll today had it at 64% Yes, 36% No, to Induct Gino to the Ring of Honour.

Interestingly enough, Betamax in his former haunts @hfb posted the question to the users last year back on Nov. 28th, 2013 and the results were the polar opposite, 26.88% Yes and 73.12% No.

So, the other day, The Prattman went on his rant to induct Gino, into the Ring of Honour. And their online poll was about 56% Yes, 44% No.

Linden was on the Sekeres Show afterwards and mention that they are monitoring the situation with Gino and will have something to honour his legacy but deferred on his own personal opinion on whether Gino should be in the Ring of Honour, specifically, since it's up to a "committee" to make that decision.

Anyway, I had a brief twitter exchange with one of the people that would voted 'No' ..... and the primary reason he gave was "I voted no just to spite him [Dave Pratt]. probably not the only one" .... :hmmm:

Interesting that ... :mex:
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Stick a feather in Bure's jersey and call it a day.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Have a Gino Odjick night at an early-season game to honour his contributions and his character (he was certainly a fan favourite), but I think the Ring is excessive. It's a little harsh, but if he was not terminally ill, we wouldn't be having this discussion. I think that's your answer.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Puck wrote:Have a Gino Odjick night at an early-season game to honour his contributions and his character (he was certainly a fan favourite), but I think the Ring is excessive. It's a little harsh, but if he was not terminally ill, we wouldn't be having this discussion. I think that's your answer.
O RLY?

Please refer to the following:
Betamax wrote:

I would agree.

If you look at the poll results, Gino's terminal condition has put his life story in the spotlight, so more fans are more enlightened, reflective and sympathetic of what he's contributed to Canucks' Nation both on and off the ice. That's why we have a shift in people's opinions on this matter. :mex:
Last edited by Betamax on Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

If they add Gino to the ring of honour they might as well rename it the circle of trust and include everybody that goes through personal adversity...What about Taylor Pyatt?

A big Gino fan but a team like the Canucks with no cups should be a little more discerning about admitting a player to this ring
If you need air...call it in
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Uncle dans leg wrote:If they add Gino to the ring of honour they might as well rename it the circle of trust and include everybody that goes through personal adversity...What about Taylor Pyatt?

A big Gino fan but a team like the Canucks with no cups should be a little more discerning about admitting a player to this ring
Oh please .... it's the Ring of Honour, not a jersey number retirement for God's sake!!!

via: http://canucks.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=63163

As per the description as stated on the Canucks' official website:

"The Ring of Honour initiative will launch this season and is intended to celebrate and salute Canuck heroes who have made a lasting impact on the franchise."

(Now contrast that description with your silly comparisons to Taylor Pyatt and see how ridiculous you come across.) Image

So, "Uncle Dan's Leg", please answer the following question:

Do you or do you not believe Gino is a Canucks' Hero and has made a lasting impact on the franchise?

Yes or No.

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Taylor lost his GF in an accident so its not so damn ridiculous.

Shouldn't we shoot a little higher? G.O. is a goon. A lovable goon but a goon.

If you consider him going apeshit in a game and having a goofy smile "making a lasting impact" then why not induct Dan Cloutier in there while you're at it? He went off, fired up the crowd and also happens to have a goofy smile...
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Uncle dans leg wrote:Taylor lost his GF in an accident so its not so damn ridiculous.
This has to be the WTF lowlight of a post on the corner.

It's silly enough to put Taylor in the same category as Gino but to bring his GF into your argument is beyond silly. I mean, it's like saying if a player's mother or father or other family member died while he was playing, the Canucks should honour said player as well.

I mean come on.

Can you get serious? :hmmm:
Shouldn't we shoot a little higher? G.O. is a goon. A lovable goon but a goon.
Do you believe that Gino is not a Canucks' hero and has not left a lasting impact on the franchise?
If you consider him going apeshit in a game and having a goofy smile "making a lasting impact" then why not induct Dan Cloutier in there while you're at it? He went off, fired up the crowd and also happens to have a goofy smile...
If you are going to trivialize Gino's contributions both on and off the ice, you need to go back and educate yourself on the entire history of the Canucks.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, when did you become a fan ... it seems like it was just during the last five years or so. :mex:
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Farhan, I was in Baghdad in uniform while you were still in your dads bag in liquid form....

*applicable in a strange but somehow relative to the conversation kinda way.....

What I mean is my loyalty pre-dates the damn flying V. I've seen enough mediocrity to last another 40+ years....encouraging and perpetuating it by recognizing and applauding players that were merely role players seems like we are becoming a little too comfortable with it all.

I want to see a god damn Stanley Cup in my lifetime. I don't want to be another Terry Siebert

Taylor Pyatt being included is as ridiculous to me as it is you but I'm using it to illustrate how Ginos battle shouldn't usher him into being added to a group of players that were foundations of the franchise. Same goes for Cluotier.

You're a little behind catching on to the sarcasm today...the off season blues getting to ya?