Canucks Draft

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

What do you think will happen for Vancouver re: the 2014 draft...really?

1) Speculation, speculation, and more speculation but really, nothing out of the norm and the Canucks will simply follow thru with selecting their 6th over-all pic.
47%
2) Shits gonna happen man! We're going to find a way to trade up and acquire a higher pick.
29%
3) Who knows, maybe we'll actually trade down and acquire two later picks or some-such.
No votes
4) Don't have clue, but I'll be watchin the draft unfold with a couple of beers and see what happens.
24%

Total votes: 17

nuckster
MVP
MVP

Canucks Draft

Post by nuckster »

All this talk/speculation/opinion about what 's going to happen in the draft when the truth be told, we've only really seen 2 relevant dealings over the last 15 years - the `Sedin Scene' and the Schneider trade for 9th pic- - Horvat. But jeeese, we sure go on and on about it regardless. We all know some changes need to happen and in all fairness, the draft represents an opportunity to have something to hope for - quite a contrast to a rather hopeless past season no doubt.
cc oldtimer
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Canucks Draft

Post by BladesofSteel »

Over the next two weeks, Benning will do precisely what Gillis could never do when the team needed it most:

Improve the club at the draft table, and swing for the fences on the trade market.

This should be a fun ride.

:mex:
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

BladesofSteel wrote:Improve the club at the draft table, and swing for the fences on the trade market.
Reminds me of what most of said when Gillis arrived...
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Cornuck wrote:
BladesofSteel wrote:Improve the club at the draft table, and swing for the fences on the trade market.
There is little comparison between Mike Gillis and Linden/Benning.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

BladesofSteel wrote:
Cornuck wrote:
There is little comparison between Mike Gillis and Linden/Benning.
No doubt, but I'm just tempering my expectations this time around. But..... I would expect this new management team to make a splash at the draft this year.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

I too "hope" the Canucks make a splash on draft day. Unlike the rest, or at least the most of you, I want Nylander and Vertanin. I would hope the splash is we pick up Anaheims 10th and Bonino. Giving us a chance to do just that. I'll take two quality and potentially dynamic picks in the top 10 over Sam Reinhart.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Ya MG talked about a few bold moves but other than Sundin he never managed to pull off a bold moves seeing is believing.
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Reinhart is a stretch. I want Ritchie and Nylander if we get the 10th pick. I'm kind of back in the Ritchie boat now. I just think having him and Kassian around will give the likes of Nylander and Shinkaruk a lot of comfidence to succeed
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

Hockey Widow wrote:Ya MG talked about a few bold moves but other than Sundin he never managed to pull off a bold moves seeing is believing.

I am certain he pulled many bold moves....just none of them had anything to do with hockey...
black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by black ace »

Gillis had no background in building a team. End of story. Benning has been involved with drafting and developing players for 20 years.
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion
black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by black ace »

Craig Button has Jake Virtanen way down at #43. Surprising since he was rumored to be top 10 not too long ago. Nick Ritchie is down at #16

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=49649

Bob McKenzie reveals his list tonight.
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Bob had him at #7

Bob > Button

(literally & figuratively)
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I don't guess anyone other than Button will have Virtanen outside of the top 15.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

dbr wrote:I don't guess anyone other than Button will have Virtanen outside of the top 15.
He's lucky to still collect a paycheque from the hockey/media business, though he's probably too retarded to realize it. Just looking at the foundations he built of today's tire fire in Calgary makes me shake my head and laugh.

I wouldn't be surprised if Virtanen goes before #6 depending on whether the likes of Calgary or the Isles feel they need a speedy banger with a wicked shot, over some of the higher-rated players who have more puck skills and more creativity. If he's still there at #6 though and Vancouver's picking there, I hope they take a chance on the kid.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Every draft year has at least 1 major dud come out of the top 10...NOT picking this player would be huge for this team. Huge.

Who do you think has the highest potential for failing? My bust candidate is probably Sam Bennett... Who can't do a pull up at 17/18? especially after being groomed as a top prospect heading into an NHL draft AND knowing you will have to do one....

Not looking like a future pro imho...but who the hell am I anyway!
If you need air...call it in