2014 UFA Offseason

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: 2014 UFA Offseason

Post by Meds »

Saw this in the Jovo thread, figured it belonged here.....
sagebrush wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
I think we could all live with a 1-year contract with Miller amirite? :mex:
Both Miller & Iginla (especially Iginla), but they may not be so keen.
Look for both of them to ask for 2-3 years with a modified NTC that says they can only be traded to a contender.

Iginla just signed a one year deal with Boston, he won't be opposed to short-term offers. He might want more than one year just to guarantee some money, but he will want the option to request a trade to a contender as a rental. With that in mind, he might come at a reduced cap hit if his goal is a Cup before retiring. Lower salary means better chance of plugging in talent here, as well as an easier time getting moved to a contender.

Miller is a bit younger than Iginla, he will want at least 3 years. A more risky contract, no question, but I would expect similar conditions from him.

Benning and Linden certainly make this a more attractive destination for players considering the year we just had.

To be honest, if last year was just a terrible year for about half of our team, then adding some muscle, scoring punch, and a goaltender, might actually bounce us back up enough that we can be competitive with the right UFA signings. It's a stretch, and I don't really know that the Sedins will ever be back to more than 65 point players, but if we get a second line that can manage to contribute in the same range and play a different, and more dynamic style, well that could change things around here. But it's wishful thinking.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Iginla's one year deal in Boston was so that they could structure the bonuses in; I don't believe you can do that on a multi-year deal and with the rising cap I'd expect that any team with space to fit him in would try to set themselves apart from the other suitors by offering another year or even two.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Mëds wrote: It's a stretch, and I don't really know that the Sedins will ever be back to more than 65 point players, but if we get a second line that can manage to contribute in the same range and play a different, and more dynamic style, well that could change things around here. But it's wishful thinking.
As usual, the Sedins will do their thing. The rest of the lineup is, and has always been, the problem. We need more scoring depth. 65 points out of the Sedins still put them in the Kopitar, Carter, Eberle, Landeskog, O'Reilly, Johansen, Bergeron territory (ie FIRST LINE PLAYERS).

If we don't get a second line, the Sedins could put up 80 points and we'd still not be a playoff team. As an example, the leaves had 6 forwards with 40+ points, we had 3. The Ducks had 8 forwards with 30+ points, we had 4. Guys like Kassian, Burrows, Jensen, Bonino etc. need to get into that 35-50 point range ASAP, more so than the Sedins need to put up PPG numbers.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Southern_Canuck wrote:
The Canucks need a scoring winger that pushes one of Hansen, Sestito, or Dorsett to 13th forward - perhaps Nicklas Jensen or Hunter Shinkaruk?

S_C
Sestito is already a 13th or 14th forward in our group. I hope we don't see him in the lineup at all this season, except against the Flames.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

dbr wrote:Iginla's one year deal in Boston was so that they could structure the bonuses in; I don't believe you can do that on a multi-year deal and with the rising cap I'd expect that any team with space to fit him in would try to set themselves apart from the other suitors by offering another year or even two.
Good point about the multi-year thing with bonuses.

I'm not sure that many "contenders" have much in the way of cap space for Iginla though. St. Louis, Anaheim, and San Jose, could probably all fit Iginla in under the cap if he were to sign a one-year deal with bonuses deferred that maxed out at $4M including said bonuses.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Mëds wrote: It's a stretch, and I don't really know that the Sedins will ever be back to more than 65 point players, but if we get a second line that can manage to contribute in the same range and play a different, and more dynamic style, well that could change things around here. But it's wishful thinking.
As usual, the Sedins will do their thing. The rest of the lineup is, and has always been, the problem. We need more scoring depth. 65 points out of the Sedins still put them in the Kopitar, Carter, Eberle, Landeskog, O'Reilly, Johansen, Bergeron territory (ie FIRST LINE PLAYERS).

If we don't get a second line, the Sedins could put up 80 points and we'd still not be a playoff team. As an example, the leaves had 6 forwards with 40+ points, we had 3. The Ducks had 8 forwards with 30+ points, we had 4. Guys like Kassian, Burrows, Jensen, Bonino etc. need to get into that 35-50 point range ASAP, more so than the Sedins need to put up PPG numbers.
The Sedins need to bounce back to the 70 point players they were.

If Kassian adds 6-10 points this year then he'll be a 35-40 point guy. Depending upon linemates and PP time, I could see him jumping into the 45 point range.

Burrows will get back to 40 points.

Bonino will probably end up around 45 points.

I'll be happy if Jensen cracks the lineup and contributes 30 points. I'll be impressed with 25 points from him if 15 of them are goals.

Whatever UFA we find for the top-6 will need to add 50+ points.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Mëds wrote:
dbr wrote:Iginla's one year deal in Boston was so that they could structure the bonuses in; I don't believe you can do that on a multi-year deal and with the rising cap I'd expect that any team with space to fit him in would try to set themselves apart from the other suitors by offering another year or even two.
Good point about the multi-year thing with bonuses.

I'm not sure that many "contenders" have much in the way of cap space for Iginla though. St. Louis, Anaheim, and San Jose, could probably all fit Iginla in under the cap if he were to sign a one-year deal with bonuses deferred that maxed out at $4M including said bonuses.
All these teams that are close to the cap will be worried about what's happening to Boston right now, where Deferred bonuses are being applied to their cap number this season. You might put yourself in a good position for one season, but now the Bruins have $4.75M in "dead cap" sitting on their books. They will not only be unable to sign Iginla, but will likely have to trade the likes of Eriksson and McQuaid just to fit their RFA's. While they can put Marc Savard on LTIR in time for the season, IIRC teams can only go 10% over the cap in the offseason, so Boston can only use about $8M to sign the likes of Krug, Bartkowski, Smith and Caron and then need to dump roughly $4M before the season starts, just to get back to even. Tough spot.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Boston is looking to trade both Eriksson and Marchand. Combined 8.75 cap hit. If they can move both of those contracts the could re-sign all their FA and make room for Iginla. It will mean letting their younger players have more significant minutes.

I would trade them Sestito for Eriksson. Gives them a cheap 4th liner and frees up about 3.4. Purely a cap move for them. Throw in a 7th if you have to or throw in Kellan Lain if you have to.

We get a top six to play with the twins, only under contract for two years so if he is bust here not a lot of term to worry about but if he can show some of that magic he had with them at the World's.....

Boston gets needed cap relief plus a cheap 4th plug to replace Thoronton's minutes and a C level prospect that is a monster that who knows they could develop into a Thoronton further replacement.

Trade Marchand in a similar type of move and they will be out of cap hell.
The only HW the Canucks need
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

McKenzie tweeting that Canucks will not qualify Schroeder or Dalpe. Both will be UFA's.
@TSNBobMcKenzie: VAN will not be qualifying Jordan Schroeder or Zac Dalpe. Both go to UFA.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

The only value either has would be to play in Utica (assuming they cleared waivers).

Dalpe was a terrible acquisition.

Schroeder showed promise at times, but he's just not skilled enough to make it in the NHL.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

JS was never a fit in Vancouver, or the west. I can see him having a career in the East but I doubt he ever lives up to his first round billing.
The only HW the Canucks need
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Hockey Widow wrote:JS was never a fit in Vancouver, or the west. I can see him having a career in the East but I doubt he ever lives up to his first round billing.
He never looked like a guy with first round talent.

The scouting reports said he had great hands, offensive instincts and a very good shot, but we never saw any of that here.

I don't see him making it. I wouldn't be surprised if he got a camp invite somewhere though.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

herb wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:JS was never a fit in Vancouver, or the west. I can see him having a career in the East but I doubt he ever lives up to his first round billing.
He never looked like a guy with first round talent.

The scouting reports said he had great hands, offensive instincts and a very good shot, but we never saw any of that here.

I don't see him making it. I wouldn't be surprised if he got a camp invite somewhere though.
As a small player, Schroeder needed to be durable and capable of playing tough areas, despite his size. He proved capable of neither, and the fears that made him drop so far in the draft were realized.

He's just not big enough, or talented enough, to play the role he's designed to play. Especially at Centre. He was top-6 or bust, and right now it's looking like bust. If he couldn't earn a spot on one of the worst offensive teams in the sport, I don't like his chances elsewhere. I think he could have a nice career in the minors or Europe, but he's certainly not strong or tough enough to survive as a top-6 C in the Western Conference, and likely the NHL in general.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Hockey Widow wrote:I would trade them Sestito for Eriksson.
LOL would you?

:lol:
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Rumsfeld wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:I would trade them Sestito for Eriksson.
LOL would you?

:lol:
If the Coyotes could trade B.J. Crombeen for Sam Gagner, Sestito for Eriksson is not impossible. :mrgreen: