2014 UFA Offseason

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: 2014 UFA Offseason

Post by Island Nucklehead »

McKenzie reporting that the Canucks are selling Vancouver to Ryan Miller tonight.
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Island Nucklehead wrote:McKenzie reporting that the Canucks are selling Vancouver to Ryan Miller tonight.
I would like to see him sign here for a couple of years. Good goaltender to give more time for Lack and the others to reach their potential. Not sold on Lack or the others we have as a true number one.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

No secret he wants to be on the left close with his wife's LA connection. But LA doesn't need him and so far the SJS have not shown interest. I guess they are serious when they say they want to compete. I'd be ok with Miller for 3-4 years at a good cap hit and modified NTC. one of Lack or Markstom would need to be dealt as neither will clear waivers. Markstrom has zero trade value, Lack little more than that.
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I'd rather tank it one more year and wait to spend all this available money now on a UFA market that is a little more attractive than this one.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
iFan

Post by iFan »

At 34 to start the season, I don't want anything longer than 2 years.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Island Nucklehead wrote:McKenzie reporting that the Canucks are selling Vancouver to Ryan Miller tonight.
Wonder if they trade for his rights tomorrow.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

I see Benning's logic in wanting a vet goalie, to pair with Lack, but yes, it can't be a long term big money deal. 2 years at 4-5 or so, okay. Markstrom's salary would be off the cap books, in the minors or wherever, so it would still leave ample room capwise to get some scoring. But if it is any bigger deal, term or money-wise, that would be a problem. Miller sure crapped the bed in St. Louis, Benning can't over pay. At the right term/deal, paired with Lack, they could make a good combo, securing the nets, but Benning can't get dug in too deep with RM.
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

I don't care how much it costs that's Aquilinis money not mine. Just sign him and get Stasny as we'll.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Boston Canucker wrote:............ At the right term/deal, paired with Lack, they could make a good combo, securing the nets, but Benning can't get dug in too deep with RM.
+1
Miller hasn't done anything to warrant term or a NTC and it's not a stretch that Lack could outplay him and then the club has another pouty veteran whom thinks they should be #1
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Not a stretch at all...
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

dangler wrote:
Boston Canucker wrote:............ At the right term/deal, paired with Lack, they could make a good combo, securing the nets, but Benning can't get dug in too deep with RM.
+1
Miller hasn't done anything to warrant term or a NTC and it's not a stretch that Lack could outplay him and then the club has another pouty veteran whom thinks they should be #1
As long as the term and $$$ aren't obscene then he should have some value come deadline time. If Benning throws 6-7 years at him we're in trouble...
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Interesting, a 26 years old right-handed defenseman with decent size and is capable of putting up some points. Should GMJB give him a shot?
Bill Hoppe ‏@BillHoppeNHL
#Sabres Jamie McBain not qualified.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Jovocop wrote:Interesting, a 26 years old right-handed defenseman with decent size and is capable of putting up some points. Should GMJB give him a shot?
Bill Hoppe ‏@BillHoppeNHL
#Sabres Jamie McBain not qualified.
He is softer than Royaldudes boiler . Emphatic no from me .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

SKYO wrote:
Wonder if they trade for his rights tomorrow.
As per the new CBA, teams can speak to UFA for a 6 day period of time beforehand and then finalize deals on Free Agent Frenzy, July 1st. So there's no need to trade for "rights" to speak.

see: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/how- ... ee-agency/

:mex:
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I agree in spirit but if a team wanted to discuss specific contract terms or (more importantly) finalize a contract with a player ahead of free agency they'd need to do this.