2014 UFA Offseason

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

2014 UFA Offseason

Post by SKYO »

Out with the old in with the new!...and now we got some clarification for the FA interview period:
The NHL has implemented a significant change from last year regarding the free-agent interview period that begins next Wednesday.

Please be advised that clubs are permitted to discuss the potential interest in as well as general parameters of a potential future contractual relationship with another club’s pending RFA or UFA during the applicable interview periods. The clubs may not enter any agreements or make any binding offers, promises, … oral or written concerning the terms of a potential SPC (standard players contract) with another club’s pending RFA or UFA.”

So in other words, teams and agents can now discuss the general parameters of a deal, as in, “I’ll be looking for a seven-year deal at around $5 million annually,” etc., meaning now players and agents at least know where each other is at heading into July 1 and know who’s in the game and who isn’t.
http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/263862641.html
Guessing the Canucks start interviewing MHiller next week.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: 2014 UFA Offseason

Post by Hockey Widow »

It also allows teams to find out who on the FA list would consider the team. We know it was a sham before with key players singing one minute after the FA period began. This at least puts it more out in the open.

It could work well for players too. They get to gage who has interest in their services. It will certainly churn the rumour mill. I like it. One of the positives to come out of the lock out.
The only HW the Canucks need
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Toronto and the Islanders will still jump the gun and sign UFAs to stupid contracts on July 1st. But, it should allow the good GMs more time to make better decisions prior to July 1st. Good move by the league. And it should widen the gap between teams with good GMs and those with bad GMs. (crossing my Canuck fingers)
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

With Brad Richards being bought out in NYR, I wonder if the Canucks would consider him on a short-term deal to anchor the 2nd line C spot after Kesler is traded? That might let them pick up wingers in the Kesler deal, or at least buy the prospects some more time to develop or start at wing.

2 years $9M?

My guess is he stays in the east.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Richards could be a decent short term solution. He played so well for Dallas a few years ago, but he has slowed down so much since then.

Grabovski could be a better option. Doesn't seem like a Jim Benning kind of guy though.

Paul Stastny would be ideal. I'd take a run at Bolland too, but these guys are going to get big offers from a lot of teams.

The upcoming UFA class is so weak. We may be stuck with Ricky Schroeder centering the second line... :look:
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

herb wrote:Richards could be a decent short term solution. He played so well for Dallas a few years ago, but he has slowed down so much since then.

Grabovski could be a better option. Doesn't seem like a Jim Benning kind of guy though.

Paul Stastny would be ideal. I'd take a run at Bolland too, but these guys are going to get big offers from a lot of teams.

The upcoming UFA class is so weak. We may be stuck with Ricky Schroeder centering the second line... :look:
Yeah Richards will probably stay in the East, unless some team gives him a bit of term... :o

Stastny is gonna get paid, at least $7M per, Schroeder is outta here - cleaning house time, in come the reinforcements folks.

All the more reason's to move heaven and earth to trade up in this draft.

http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2014/06/20 ... -reinhart/
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Stastny is IMO the best UFA available, but I'd be pretty surprised if we made a real push for him.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

SKYO wrote: All the more reason's to move heaven and earth to trade up in this draft.
As long as it doesn't include Bo,Shink or Tanev heaven and earth is fine by me
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Rumsfeld wrote:Stastny is IMO the best UFA available, but I'd be pretty surprised if we made a real push for him.
If we trade Kesler and we dont' get anyone else for center then I see JB/TL kicking the tires at the very least with Stastny.
dangler wrote:
SKYO wrote: All the more reason's to move heaven and earth to trade up in this draft.
As long as it doesn't include Bo, heaven and earth is fine by me
Fixed.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

All of the UFAs are going to get crazy money this year - Vanek will get well north of $7 million and my guess is closer to $8mil. Moulson will probably be $6mil with term.

Given that overpayment is inevitable, and the cap will go up with the new Canadian TV deal, JB needs to decide who he's willing to overpay for and for what period of time.

Pending who gets traded, my FA targets would be Boyle and Richards. They'd both settle for 2 year deals, and be excellent bridges while this roster transitions.

Long-term, I'd agree that Stastny is the most desirable this year, but he's going to get huge money for max-term, meaning $6+ million until he's 35. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up getting closer to $7 million in this market - if he remains a 2nd line center, that's a lot of cheddar tied up for 7 years.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

ESQ wrote:Long-term, I'd agree that Stastny is the most desirable this year, but he's going to get huge money for max-term, meaning $6+ million until he's 35. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up getting closer to $7 million in this market - if he remains a 2nd line center, that's a lot of cheddar tied up for 7 years.
Agreed that Stastny will get overpaid, but that's the way it is. Don't hate the playa hate the game and all that.

If there is a guy to go after and overpay this year, it's Stastny IMO. He's in his prime. Probably five years of decent level play left in him. He doesn't really get injured.

If Kesler is moved, we will need a second line center. That's not Bo. That's not Santorelli. That's not the guy we draft this year in the first round. That is a massive hole to fill, and when you get the chance to do so in free agency for nothing but cash you need to go after it. The Canucks are a cap max organization and will have the cap space to do it.

Stastny with Smith-Pelly and Kassian...hmmm.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

herb wrote:
ESQ wrote:Long-term, I'd agree that Stastny is the most desirable this year, but he's going to get huge money for max-term, meaning $6+ million until he's 35. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up getting closer to $7 million in this market - if he remains a 2nd line center, that's a lot of cheddar tied up for 7 years.
Agreed that Stastny will get overpaid, but that's the way it is. Don't hate the playa hate the game and all that.

If there is a guy to go after and overpay this year, it's Stastny IMO. He's in his prime. Probably five years of decent level play left in him. He doesn't really get injured.

If Kesler is moved, we will need a second line center. That's not Bo. That's not Santorelli. That's not the guy we draft this year in the first round. That is a massive hole to fill, and when you get the chance to do so in free agency for nothing but cash you need to go after it. The Canucks are a cap max organization and will have the cap space to do it.

Stastny with Smith-Pelly and Kassian...hmmm.
I agree that Stastny would be a good addition if Kesler is traded but there is one little problem.
CanucksArmy ‏@CanucksArmy
Linden's Web: the Canucks might not be a cap team, and other nuggets from Linden's 1040 appearance Friday
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Jovocop wrote:
Linden's Web: the Canucks might not be a cap team, and other nuggets from Linden's 1040 appearance Friday

Rich, highly profitable team, huge hockey market, yet possibly well under the cap?

I don't know about you guys, but to me this just screams full rebuild. Giggity.

That '15 draft is going to be fucking sweet boys.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Rumsfeld wrote:
Jovocop wrote:

Rich, highly profitable team, huge hockey market, yet possibly well under the cap?

I don't know about you guys, but to me this just screams full rebuild. Giggity.

That '15 draft is going to be fucking sweet boys.
I got a feeling that Linden was trying to lower our expectations.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Island Nucklehead wrote:With Brad Richards being bought out in NYR, I wonder if the Canucks would consider him on a short-term deal to anchor the 2nd line C spot after Kesler is traded? That might let them pick up wingers in the Kesler deal, or at least buy the prospects some more time to develop or start at wing.

2 years $9M?

My guess is he stays in the east.
Waste of time and money. The guy has lost his wheels and drive for that matter at his advanced age..... to have a one-two punch of Hank and him anchoring the two top lines will not be conducive to the style of play this team is headed towards. :mex: