2014 UFA Offseason

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: 2014 UFA Offseason

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote:
SKYO wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Hearing Canucks trying to move a few more pieces before July first. Have a list of 5 players they are interested in as FA, not all five at once, and want to shed contracts. Don't have names yet, maybe closer to Tuesday I might get some info.

Definitely want to make the playoffs while also allowing 1-2 of their young kids a chance to play. By young kids I mean their prospects, not Vey, Bonino or Sbisa, they are considered roster players for them at this point. Hoping Horvat is ready but prepared to let him play his final year in junior, won't rush him.

They feel they need to clear out a few more bottom six type players to clear up spots for competition.
That's Hansen I bet, honeybadger's time has come to an end as he's become redundant for his 3rd line role.

Could be Hansen, Sestito, Richardson, Matthias, Higgins or Burrows.
If it's Burrows then they must be targeting a top-6 UFA.
NzVanFan
AHL Prospect

Post by NzVanFan »

Could be an interesting few days. In this clip (2min 50s) Linden talks of the Canucks being an attractive team for other teams looking to clear some salary - could be more trades coming rather than a big free agent signing.

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

NzVanFan wrote:Could be an interesting few days. In this clip (2min 50s) Linden talks of the Canucks being an attractive team for other teams looking to clear some salary - could be more trades coming rather than a big free agent signing.
So maybe our turn to be on the receiving end of a salary dump?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Cornuck wrote:
NzVanFan wrote:Could be an interesting few days. In this clip (2min 50s) Linden talks of the Canucks being an attractive team for other teams looking to clear some salary - could be more trades coming rather than a big free agent signing.
So maybe our turn to be on the receiving end of a salary dump?

Another Ehrhoff type pick up would be nice.
The only HW the Canucks need
NzVanFan
AHL Prospect

Post by NzVanFan »

With the obvious Boston connection I wonder if Boston were to value Iginla over Eriksson there might be something that could work there - maybe even including Boychuk? Haven't crunched any numbers but you'd think that would free Boston up some cap room while giving us something useful.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Kowch wrote:I'm surprised we're 6 pages in and nobody seems interested in Devin Setoguchi who (at 27) is an available UFA. I know he struggled in the 'Peg last season, but he might be worth a look. Because of his struggles, the contract might be on the reasonable side...
No surprise here, he is not a Benning/Linden type of player. Hes poison in a dressing room
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

via: https://twitter.com/mirtle/status/483005720309538816
James Mirtle Verified account ‏@mirtle

Can confirm Sharks will use compliance buyout on Martin Havlat. Buyout period ends at 5 p.m. on Monday.

2:55 PM - 28 Jun 2014
Havlat to be CBOed. Add another UFA to the list. :mex:
Kowch
CC Veteran

Post by Kowch »

RoyalDude wrote:
Kowch wrote:I'm surprised we're 6 pages in and nobody seems interested in Devin Setoguchi who (at 27) is an available UFA. I know he struggled in the 'Peg last season, but he might be worth a look. Because of his struggles, the contract might be on the reasonable side...
No surprise here, he is not a Benning/Linden type of player. Hes poison in a dressing room
I hadn't read anything about being poison in the dressing room. Everything I've read (outside of two incidents a year or two ago) has been that he's been very professional.

Will have to read up some more apparently.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Guessing Carolina, Boston, Chicago, Jersey and maybe Philly that could be the teams that will do a cap dump trade.
And Tampa -
@TBTimes_JSmith
Lightning Yzerman said other than finding a backup goalie, or moving salary (forwards), they're close to done with offseason plans
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I'm sure Philly would love to dump (Lecavalier's) salary but they still have Chris Pronger on LTIR so it's not urgent.

Chicago have nobody of note to re-sign and 21 bodies on the roster already so unless they feel they need some wiggle room (and we can get Mëds' black Swede Johnny Oduya) they may also stay put now that they've dumped a couple of players.

If Tampa is dumping a forward I'd guess it's Teddy Purcell who may be outscored by 4 or 5 other Bolts forwards this year and makes $4.5m. Other than Stamkos and Filppula almost every other TB forward making significant money has signed their deal in the last couple of months.. Callahan, Palat, Killorn, Johnson.. I guess they could dump depth guys like Thompson but the savings would be minimal and with Drouin likely making the team this year I'd imagine a top six forward is the likely candidate to move. If the Canucks had interest you'd think they'd have done something as part of the Garrison deal.

The Kings have made their moves. They have to re-sign Dwight King and fill a couple of other roster spots, $3.5m to do it.

Boston seems like the obvious choice. They have just $1.6m and still need to sign Torey Krug and Reilly Smith, they'll need to move a body just to accomplish that.. nevermind getting Jarome re-signed. I don't know if he's a long term fit but if they are dumping Boychuk I'd take him for sure. Right shooting defenseman with size and grit. Up front the candidates would probably be Marchand, Eriksson and Kelly. I'd guess they hang onto Eriksson given he is a low cost top six option (ie. if they dumped Erikson they probably couldn't even get Iginla re-signed with that cap space). All three have NTCs although Eriksson's might have been voided and Marchand's mightn't have taken effect yet.

Montreal are also apparently looking to move Josh Gorges, another right shooting defenseman who is solid in his own zone.
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Doubt he would come here, but what about Vanek to play with the Sedins? We should easily be able to fit him in under our cap. Him and Miller could easily bring us back to respectability and give our young guys time to develop.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

dbr wrote:I'm sure Philly would love to dump (Lecavalier's) salary but they still have Chris Pronger on LTIR so it's not urgent.
Well I don't really want to see Lecavalier come to Vancouver, overpaid and under-performing these days.
Chicago have nobody of note to re-sign and 21 bodies on the roster already so unless they feel they need some wiggle room (and we can get Mëds' black Swede Johnny Oduya) they may also stay put now that they've dumped a couple of players.
I would rather pick-up Ehrhoff as a UFA.....and even then, I don't think we are in the market for another top-5 dman are we?

Boston seems like the obvious choice. They have just $1.6m and still need to sign Torey Krug and Reilly Smith, they'll need to move a body just to accomplish that.. nevermind getting Jarome re-signed. I don't know if he's a long term fit but if they are dumping Boychuk I'd take him for sure. Right shooting defenseman with size and grit. Up front the candidates would probably be Marchand, Eriksson and Kelly. I'd guess they hang onto Eriksson given he is a low cost top six option (ie. if they dumped Erikson they probably couldn't even get Iginla re-signed with that cap space). All three have NTCs although Eriksson's might have been voided and Marchand's mightn't have taken effect yet.
If there is a move to be made with Boston I really do like the idea of adding Boychuk to our blueline, he's steady, and tough. Might actually be a good fit on the right side with Edler. Other considerations are Eriksson due to his history with the Sedins, and Lucic.....yep, I said that. If what HW said about Lucic being a big fan of Benning and wanting to come finish his career in his home city is accurate, then why not explore the option? If he's serious about coming back here he will be free to do so in 2 years, it might be something Boston will explore.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Mëds wrote:
dbr wrote:I'm sure Philly would love to dump (Lecavalier's) salary but they still have Chris Pronger on LTIR so it's not urgent.
Well I don't really want to see Lecavalier come to Vancouver, overpaid and under-performing these days.
I would rather pick-up Ehrhoff as a UFA.....and even then, I don't think we are in the market for another top-5 dman are we?
I don't know. I'm just talking about the moves they're likely to make. I don't think there's a deal to be made with Chicago; I don't want Lecavalier but I guess he'd offer some short term credibility - if there was value to be had from taking on (some of) his contract in a salary dump I'd think about it.

If there is a move to be made with Boston I really do like the idea of adding Boychuk to our blueline, he's steady, and tough. Might actually be a good fit on the right side with Edler. Other considerations are Eriksson due to his history with the Sedins, and Lucic.....yep, I said that. If what HW said about Lucic being a big fan of Benning and wanting to come finish his career in his home city is accurate, then why not explore the option? If he's serious about coming back here he will be free to do so in 2 years, it might be something Boston will explore.
Yeah Boston are certainly the low hanging fruit here. Too bad JB won't consider an offer sheet because you could probably hurt them pretty badly.. that said since he's probably got a decent relationship with them hopefully you could get first dibs on the players they look to move, although it would take some real big brass ones to bring in Brad Marchand if they're sick of his shit in Beantown.

Hell perhaps he's even got some rapport with the Iginla camp. If Boston can't find room I don't see a lot of cap max teams that are a. surefire contenders, b. have a ton of cap space and c. don't have most of it earmarked for re-signing guys and filling out the roster.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Tampa is a good team and had Bishop been healthy I think they may have gone a lot deeper. If Stevie can move another player Iginla maybe a good fit there. SJS may have some room with the Havlat buy out. Anaheim still has room, for a one year deal. There are still some teams that Iginla could pick that have a good chance to contend, the Canucks not being one of them.

Boston has more problems than just cap. They have some locker room issues and their core is aging. There is overwhelming dislike for the coach, they lost an assistant that was well liked and respected. Many saw Benning as the real brains in management and he was highly thought of by the players. Add those to the cap crunch and I see Boston have a 1-2 year window with the current core.

Chiarelli is finding it difficult to move Ericksson or Marchand at this point although that could change early July when the better FA are gone. I don't see them parting with Lucic and think they will go hard after him next year for an extension. Lucic says every summer he would love to come back to Vancouver but something happens I guess when you put the Bruins jersey back on so who knows where is head is at. But if he really wants to be here I'm sure Benning will be all over that. Although the stink that descended upon Vancouver has not yet reached Boston so with the right tinkering they could fix a lot of problems in a hurry. But if they don't clean up their cap situation are are not able to upgrade on defence and bring in another top 6 ,either Iginla or similar, I think the shine will wear thin this season.
The only HW the Canucks need
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote: Boston has more problems than just cap. They have some locker room issues and their core is aging. There is overwhelming dislike for the coach, they lost an assistant that was well liked and respected. Many saw Benning as the real brains in management and he was highly thought of by the players. Add those to the cap crunch and I see Boston have a 1-2 year window with the current core.

Chiarelli is finding it difficult to move Ericksson or Marchand at this point although that could change early July when the better FA are gone. I don't see them parting with Lucic and think they will go hard after him next year for an extension. Lucic says every summer he would love to come back to Vancouver but something happens I guess when you put the Bruins jersey back on so who knows where is head is at. But if he really wants to be here I'm sure Benning will be all over that. Although the stink that descended upon Vancouver has not yet reached Boston so with the right tinkering they could fix a lot of problems in a hurry. But if they don't clean up their cap situation are are not able to upgrade on defence and bring in another top 6 ,either Iginla or similar, I think the shine will wear thin this season.
Boston is in a great position, imo. That core and coaching staff might be stale, but they still have players like Dougie Hamilton and Reilly Smith, which is far more than the Canucks can say. Bergeron and Krejci are still under 30. Chara is getting old, but it's not like that team is beyond help. They have a solid 4-5 years to contend, before they hit Canucks/grey beard status. Their issue is trading picks/prospects for the Eriksson's and making roster moves for the Iginla's of the league. UFA's are fine, but giving up major assets (Seguin, ouch) to win-now is a shitty philosophy.

Now that could work out nicely if they want to move some of their higher priced help (ahem Lucic) to make room for a youth movement. I'm sure the Canucks would gladly take on Milan's deal.