If it took Horvat + 6th to acquire 2014 1st pick, would ya?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

If trading Horvat + 6th pick was the only way to acquire the 2014 1st pick, would ya do it?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:43 am

YES! YES! YES!
18%
NO means NO.
76%
Other (Please explain in post)
6%

Total votes: 49

Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: If it took Horvat + 6th to acquire 2014 1st pick, would

Post by Betamax » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:25 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:^^^
That was my initial assessment as well. Too much to trade to move up to top spot. But, and that is the real but, if he is a true number 1centre you have got to roll the dice. Problem is we don't know if he is and it may take a few years to find out. It would be easier if he was a Crosby type but then again if he was a sure fire franchise player Florida would not be entertaining the idea.

Maybe that in and of itself speaks volumes. If you can't do a deal with Florida do you try to do the deal with Buffalo?
Yeah, there's a chance that Reinhart could drop. I mean if it's the Oilers that trade up to the no. 1 spot and pick Ekblad, then maybe it's the Canucks' talk to the Sabres about the pick or hope they go pick Bennett, who plays in their region and then talk to FLA about acquiring the no. 3 pick to draft Reinhart. Maybe it won't take Horvat to make the deal. But you never know. The Oilers might move up to No. 1 to pick Reinhart and trade one of their existing top young players for a NHL ready young D like a Tyler Myers.

Lot of possible scenarios ....... :mex:

Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:56 pm

Betamax wrote: Look, if that was all it took to acquire the 1st overall AND Petrovic ................ then I'm like a shaking weight challenged kid knowing he's going to an AYCE restaurant on the deal:
What if our "pieces" were Jensen or Gaunce?

I think there's a way to get this done without losing Horvat.

FLA is only dropping 5 spots. There's a good chance who they want will likely still be available.

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:46 pm

Trading Horvat + 6 to move up in a weak draft is one of the stupidest suggestions I've ever heard. I'd rather take my chances w/ Virtanen, Dal Cole or even Nylander PLUS Horvat. I'm all for moving up but not at that cost. Ridiculous.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy

TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:35 am

i agree Clam, some of these proposals are ridiculous....

BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:08 am

Best case scenario is to deal a vet on D(Garrison or Edler) and a forward (Hansen, Higgins, Burrows) and/or prospect not named Horvat/Shinkaruk while still retaining the 6th overall.

Seems like a tall order, but seeing as Florida's new ownership has given the go-ahead to spend $$ and Tallon's desire to acquire veteran leadership to develop the kids, it could very well be a win-win.

So,
1st overall
for
Garrison+Hansen + retained salary + 2nd round pick

Top prospects acquired over last 12 months:
Reinhart
6th overall
Horvat
Hunter
Fox
Cassels

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:14 am

BladesofSteel wrote: So,
1st overall
for
Garrison+Hansen + retained salary + 2nd round pick

Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:26 am

From USA Red Line Report

Rounding out Red Line's Top 10 is William Nylander, who without question has the most insane pure skill and highest offensive upside of this, or just about any other, draft year.

Naslund has also stated that he really likes Nylander. As I stated earlier, giving up Horvat + the 6th is a non-starter. You make the trade with Anaheim for the 10th over all and either Bonino or Etem and take Nylander and Virtanen. A much better deal for us and we still keep Horvat.

Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:49 am

Mondi wrote:If you're Tallon...

Do you even consider taking Jason Garrison, some other Canuck schmo (i.e. Schroeder) and the 6th overall pick for number 1?

Stop it.
LOL, the Canuck homers are really hitting out of the park right now with 'fair trade'. It's been great theatre. Garrison is a real catch, I'm sure Tallon is drooling over the prospects of having him at the expense of a Reinhart or Ekblad. But Shrimpy Schroeder is what gets er done. LMAO
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:19 am

If you get a Kesler deal with Ana that includes the #10 pick you say to Tallon, we'll give you the 6 and 10 for #1, which gets him either Nylander or Ehlers plus another top 10 pick. And that on the Canucks end is the end of the deal, nothing else. If Tallon doesn't want, then the Canucks get two top 10 picks, and who knows, might be better off in the long run anyway. I like Reinhart, a lot, but Horvat is another year closer to playing and from all accounts fits well as a #2 Center. And really the #6 and #10 is not far off the #6 plus Horvat deal, as he was a #9 pick last year. I just think with Horvat in the house, from what we hear was a better, deeper draft year last year than this one, I can't see giving him up. There's the offer Tallon, the 6 and 10 for #1, or keep walking.

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:19 am

ClamRussel wrote:Trading Horvat + 6 to move up in a weak draft is one of the stupidest suggestions I've ever heard. I'd rather take my chances w/ Virtanen, Dal Cole or even Nylander PLUS Horvat. I'm all for moving up but not at that cost. Ridiculous.

Enjoy another 43 years of doom and gloom then ol' clam.

If a team doesn't have the luxury to tank season's away to gain multiple 1st overalls, you got to be creative to move up to land top tier talent.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:27 am

For me, it boils down to this:

Get the best player available possible, and build your future core around the best player available.

I think in this instance, whether it's Nylander, Horvat, Virtanen, etc., Sam Reinhart is the clear cut best player.

That's not to say that the other draft picks won't be great players themselves, but draft picks always come with risk. Ditto for Reinhart. However - I think Reinhart gives the Canucks the BEST shot of finding a suitable heir apparent to Henrik when Henrik retires. Franchise centers do not grow on trees. Reinhart has the best chance out of all the prospects to become a franchise center.

I love Bo Horvat, but I do not think the odds are very high of him becoming a franchise calibre center. At best, he will very likely be on the level of a Kesler/Mike Richards/Patrice Bergeron (i.e. a damn good player, but not a franchise level center that you build your team around).

Get Reinhart.

p.s.___________________Having said that, I do agree with the notion that "dangling" guys like Garrison and Schroeder to Tallon is laughable, and won't pique Tallon's interest at all.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises

The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:30 am

SKYO wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:Trading Horvat + 6 to move up in a weak draft is one of the stupidest suggestions I've ever heard. I'd rather take my chances w/ Virtanen, Dal Cole or even Nylander PLUS Horvat. I'm all for moving up but not at that cost. Ridiculous.

Enjoy another 43 years of doom and gloom then ol' clam.

If a team doesn't have the luxury to tank season's away to gain multiple 1st overalls, you got to be creative to move up to land top tier talent.
I agree with SKYO.

The name of the game is getting the best players possible, and then building a core around said players. Obviously, there is risk involved, but Sam Reinhart will more than likely be the best player from this draft. He has the top end offensive talent needed to be a franchise 1st line center.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises

Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:00 am

I'm just not seeing how 1 guy is going to be better than 3. You guys want to give up the potential of Horvat plus the chance of Nylander AND Vertanin for Reinhart. Seriously that is a lot to give up for one guy. Nylander is a fantastic talent, with speed and exceptional Hockey IQ. An insanely talented player as described by Red Line reports, with the ability to skate through the other team to put the puck in the net. Vertanin has great hands, wheels and toughness and is one of the best finishers in the draft. Horvat has been called by someone on this board who has seen him play, Kesler part deux. All of that for one guy who while very good has not been called a franchise center by anyone in the know. You trade Kesler and keep the picks. I simply cannot see doing it any other way.

Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:23 am

Canuck-One wrote:I'm just not seeing how 1 guy is going to be better than 3. You guys want to give up the potential of Horvat plus the chance of Nylander AND Vertanin for Reinhart. Seriously that is a lot to give up for one guy. Nylander is a fantastic talent, with speed and exceptional Hockey IQ. An insanely talented player as described by Red Line reports, with the ability to skate through the other team to put the puck in the net. Vertanin has great hands, wheels and toughness and is one of the best finishers in the draft. Horvat has been called by someone on this board who has seen him play, Kesler part deux. All of that for one guy who while very good has not been called a franchise center by anyone in the know. You trade Kesler and keep the picks. I simply cannot see doing it any other way.
duh, the rumor is Horvat and the 6th, which would mean one of Nylander OR "Vertanin" and Bo for the Son Of Paul. :mex:

Who is this someone? I don't think his skating is anything close to what Kesler's is. Furthermore, he could also end up being the next Manny Malhotra or Denis Pederson. :mex:
Last edited by Betamax on Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:28 am

Canuck-One wrote:I'm just not seeing how 1 guy is going to be better than 3. You guys want to give up the potential of Horvat plus the chance of Nylander AND Vertanin for Reinhart. Seriously that is a lot to give up for one guy. Nylander is a fantastic talent, with speed and exceptional Hockey IQ. An insanely talented player as described by Red Line reports, with the ability to skate through the other team to put the puck in the net. Vertanin has great hands, wheels and toughness and is one of the best finishers in the draft. Horvat has been called by someone on this board who has seen him play, Kesler part deux. All of that for one guy who while very good has not been called a franchise center by anyone in the know. You trade Kesler and keep the picks. I simply cannot see doing it any other way.
I agreed. If the Canucks have boatloads of prospects, trading Horvat + 6th overall + another prospect for the 1st overall pick makes sense. Unfortunately, the Canucks do not have much prospects. By trading a "potential" 2nd line centre, another prospect, and a high pick who could also be a "potential" top six forwards for one "potential" first line centre is just not the right move for the Canucks, unless that it is for a guy like Crosby...