The Final Buyout

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Who do YOU think the Canucks should spend their last buyout on?

Alex Burrows
25%
David Booth
39%
Alex Edler
No votes
Chris Higgins
4%
Jannik Hansen
No votes
Alex Edler
No votes
Jason Garrison
4%
"Trade" the buyout
29%

Total votes: 28

ESQ
MVP
MVP

Re: The Final Buyout

Post by ESQ »

Rumsfeld wrote:
But it could also mean they're looking to clear cap space for a big UFA aquisition.

I hope they let Schroeder walk, I've seen enough and he might squeeze one of our other kids out of getting games.
I'll be very surprised if the Canucks make a major UFA pick-up. Other than the big fish (Gaborik, Vanek, Stasny), its all reclamation projects (Setoguchi, Hemsky) or damaged goods (Heatley, Boyle, Miller, Markov).

Unless Gaborik is going to finally move in to his alleged house in Point Grey, I can't see any of the Big Fish coming here. Speaking of which, has anyone checked in with Gabby's realtor?

With no Booth, I doubt the Canucks end up at the cap ceiling. For that reason I wouldn't mind picking up Brodeur on a high cap-hit one year contract. Just having him start 40-50 games could (imo) be enough to get the Canucks into a playoff seed.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

ClamRussel wrote:Actually that clip is probably what got him bought out. Imagine Benning seeing that?
Just embarrassing.
Yeah, I mean really, what hockey player puts their hair in a fucking ponytail on the top of their head?

If you're rolling with the hockey hair you have to embrace it completely. The wire tried to "Kessel" him for good reason.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

ESQ wrote:I'll be very surprised if the Canucks make a major UFA pick-up. Other than the big fish (Gaborik, Vanek, Stasny), its all reclamation projects (Setoguchi, Hemsky) or damaged goods (Heatley, Boyle, Miller, Markov).
Do you think the Canucks are going to be able to fill out the roster through trades or from within? The way I see it, we have some major holes if we don't bring in new bodies, especially if Kesler is traded for the rumored return (pick + prospect).
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

herb wrote:Do you think the Canucks are going to be able to fill out the roster through trades or from within? The way I see it, we have some major holes if we don't bring in new bodies, especially if Kesler is traded for the rumored return (pick + prospect).
I really didn't think Booth would get bought out, given the state of the FA market. There's just not much out there to spend the money on for the 2014-15 season, and the top FAs will go to wherever they damn well please (i.e. - not a West Coast team with brutal travel on the downturn).

I can't see the Canucks letting any RFAs (including Schroeder) walk, I think there will be a lot of promotions from within to fill the many holes left after UFA season.
Hockey_God
CC Rookie

Post by Hockey_God »

Betamax wrote:via: https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/stat ... 4469648384
Bob McKenzie Verified account ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
VAN puts David Booth on unconditional waivers for purpose of buyout.

9:03 AM - 17 Jun 2014
:mex:
Holy BeJesus, BosTMAN! Huis next, Easter Ham? Bear nuckles now that the Hunter is dead? A Thorny solution, BosTMAN? Bring on the Heathens!
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

ESQ wrote:
herb wrote:Do you think the Canucks are going to be able to fill out the roster through trades or from within? The way I see it, we have some major holes if we don't bring in new bodies, especially if Kesler is traded for the rumored return (pick + prospect).
I really didn't think Booth would get bought out, given the state of the FA market. There's just not much out there to spend the money on for the 2014-15 season, and the top FAs will go to wherever they damn well please (i.e. - not a West Coast team with brutal travel on the downturn).
Like what Pac Blue stated, it may be done in part of the culture change of the club. Booth is a nice guy (to everyone except wildlife that happens to be in his target). But they need guys that have less of a laissez-faire attitude or attidude.

But I agree with you, that I was a little bit surprised that they were willing to eat the extra millions, given the weak UFA class. That could, in a sense could be telling in that they want to replace the LW position with someone a lot better via trade ... i.e. (The Real Deal) Kane.
I can't see the Canucks letting any RFAs (including Schroeder) walk, I think there will be a lot of promotions from within to fill the many holes left after UFA season.
It's possible if GMJB doesn't think Ricky is good enough to play the system they want to deploy and they want guys that play more to the "Boston Model." :mex:
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

I wanted to say thanks Boothy for everything u did for us, but unfortunately he didn't do much. Thanks for coming Boothy, u came and collected like $15M from the Aquamen for doing nothing. :lol:
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

ClamRussel wrote:Actually that clip is probably what got him bought out. Imagine Benning seeing that?
Just embarrassing.
I'm sure that is how you make your hockey decisions.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Topper wrote:
Just embarrassing.
I'm sure that is how you make your hockey decisions.
You're sharp enough to know that comment was facetious but once again your energy provides zero contribution. Kind of like 2013 David Booth. Bravo.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

..... and yet your facetious comments are enlightening?

Fucking low tides.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

So predictable and trite, yet you try so hard.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Relax - both of you. Humour's allowed here. If you don't like ( or get) the joke - move on to the next post.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."