Canucks Goaltending Issue

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Re: Canucks Goaltending Issue

Post by ClamRussel »

Brodeur makes sense in a mentoring role plus to take some of the heat off Lack. I'm totally fine w/ Markstrom though. He may turn out to be the better of the two in the end, who knows.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

TDA Rum wrote:i think we give Lack and Markstrom the reigns and see what they can do, people on this board are always saying they want to give the young players a chance, but then when it comes to fruition they chicken out and want to bring in washed up veterans...
I think the goaltending position is a bit different. Confidence is a funny thing, and mistakes are much more pronounced and obvious when you're a young goalie. A kid like Horvat can make mistakes, and sometimes they may wind up in a chance going the other way, and some of those will wind up in our net (think Jensen getting too cute at the blue-line last year), but a goalie fucks up and they can lose the game single-handedly.

For that reason, I wouldn't mind bringing it at least a 1B guy to platoon with Eddie or start with 3 goalies at camp. Markstrom might get lost on waivers, but I doubt it, and honestly if he can't beat out a guy like Hiller or JS Giguere, he might not be an NHL goalie.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Lack/Markie in their short time frame of leading this team have proven to be a weak link....you can bring in Torts mishandling, fragileness, rookie status etc. as excuses, but fact remains as #1 goalies they haven't shown any type of confidence to show that they can dominate a game without a viable veteran goalie taking the lions share of the pressure.

So it is my assumption that like it or not and Benning stays true to wanting to be competitive right off the bat, he will indeed will be getting another goalie to play with Lack or Markstrom, and then one will be dealt over the summer if there is a waiver wire concern.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I'll have to agree that Lack is good, and shows a good upside - but I don't think he's quite ready for prime time. Thanks to Torts riding Lack through the end of the year, we really didn't see enough of Markstrom to form opinions.

I'd like to see a vet come in and help Lack out until he's ready. That could be by New Years, or it could be next year. There's a few UFA's that can be signed in the 'under $2million' category, so it shouldn't be too hard to pick one up.

We've already seen what Lack can do when he's handed the reins, and it wasn't overly impressive. In 17 games in March, he had 6 games with over .903 save percentage. I'd like to see the kid given a chance to succeed and not get thrown to the wolves in a another 'transition' year.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

Lack and Markstrom weren't the problems last year, it was the way the team played in front of them that was... goaltending is the least of our problems...
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I'd like to see the swedes stay in the crease for another season. This organization desperately needs some talent coming up through the organization and what's better for this than restocking with high picks in a projected bumper crop of young talent.
We have 4 more years of declining sedin to wade through before we can ice another contender anyway....
If you need air...call it in
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Uncle dans leg wrote: We have 4 more years of declining sedin to wade through before we can ice another contender anyway....
Would it worry you that Lack could be burned out by then? Or can still he build confidence facing a lot shots and losing games?

I guess another option is the split the play evenly between the Swedes and give them breaks when needed.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Cornuck wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote: We have 4 more years of declining sedin to wade through before we can ice another contender anyway....
Would it worry you that Lack could be burned out by then? Or can still he build confidence facing a lot shots and losing games?

I guess another option is the split the play evenly between the Swedes and give them breaks when needed.
Luongo came from getting hammered by rubber in Florida to dominating in Vancouver so I don't really think it is a given that he'll be ruined...
And I do think the shared crease could work when you have a couple of young guys who haven't established themselves as of yet...especially given how chill these 2 seem to be
If you need air...call it in
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

SKYO wrote:Lack/Markie in their short time frame of leading this team have proven to be a weak link....you can bring in Torts mishandling, fragileness, rookie status etc. as excuses, but fact remains as #1 goalies they haven't shown any type of confidence to show that they can dominate a game without a viable veteran goalie taking the lions share of the pressure.

So it is my assumption that like it or not and Benning stays true to wanting to be competitive right off the bat, he will indeed will be getting another goalie to play with Lack or Markstrom, and then one will be dealt over the summer if there is a waiver wire concern.
Island Nucklehead wrote:I wouldn't mind bringing it at least a 1B guy to platoon with Eddie or start with 3 goalies at camp. Markstrom might get lost on waivers, but I doubt it, and honestly if he can't beat out a guy like Hiller or JS Giguere, he might not be an NHL goalie.
That's not fair, there's a big difference in being a developing up & coming goalie & being a tried & true vet (even if they are past their prime). Let's look at the big picture here. Remember when McLean was handed the reigns from Brodeur by Quinn? There was a period of development but the team was better off in the long run. Are we cup contenders now? Not even close. So, why worry about this? We've never had 2 more promising goalies at the same time. They're both good so they should be given a chance to show how good. Last year was a gong show so it's not a good measuring stick. 2015 is a good draft so even if things go south it's a good year to take the chance. If they're not good enough JB has plenty of time to address this before we're ready to seriously compete. Losing Markstrom on waivers is not an option & stupid for a team "retooling".
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ClamRussel wrote:
SKYO wrote:Lack/Markie in their short time frame of leading this team have proven to be a weak link....you can bring in Torts mishandling, fragileness, rookie status etc. as excuses, but fact remains as #1 goalies they haven't shown any type of confidence to show that they can dominate a game without a viable veteran goalie taking the lions share of the pressure.

Island Nucklehead wrote:I wouldn't mind bringing it at least a 1B guy to platoon with Eddie or start with 3 goalies at camp. Markstrom might get lost on waivers, but I doubt it, and honestly if he can't beat out a guy like Hiller or JS Giguere, he might not be an NHL goalie.
That's not fair, there's a big difference in being a developing up & coming goalie & being a tried & true vet (even if they are past their prime). Let's look at the big picture here. Remember when McLean was handed the reigns from Brodeur by Quinn? There was a period of development but the team was better off in the long run. Are we cup contenders now? Not even close. So, why worry about this? We've never had 2 more promising goalies at the same time. They're both good so they should be given a chance to show how good. Last year was a gong show so it's not a good measuring stick. 2015 is a good draft so even if things go south it's a good year to take the chance. If they're not good enough JB has plenty of time to address this before we're ready to seriously compete. Losing Markstrom on waivers is not an option & stupid for a team "retooling".
If there is a year to do this it is indeed this year. The team is going to have some young talent on board, now question. But it won't be stocked with rookies. 3 max I'd say. If Lack and Markstrom both shit the bed, it's better to have a more veteran team be demoralized and think that neither goalie gives them a chance to win rather than try to develop with a team being led by young kids who end up growing up with a losing mentality (see Edmonton).

Let the kids play.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Mëds wrote: Let the kids play.
+1
black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by black ace »

There is no way they go with Markstrom and Lack to start the year. No way Brodeur comes here as a mentor.

Canucks will sign a veteran back up for Lack and Markstrom will be waived/demoted.
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Good news bad news. They do well and we all win. They shit the bed a few players with NTC are more easily persuaded to waive. Let em play I say!!!
The only HW the Canucks need
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

They'll start with the two present guys, with the exception that I could see them bringing in a guy of relatively similar experience - youngish but with potential - to ramp up the competition and see if one guy takes the wheel. The one guy I've mentioned before, who Benning knows, is Chad Johnson. I don't see them plopping dough down for one of the name UFA goalies. That would really surprise me.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

ClamRussel wrote: Remember when McLean was handed the reigns from Brodeur by Quinn? There was a period of development but the team was better off in the long run. Are we cup contenders now? Not even close.
Well if the goal is to TRY to be competitive asap, which Benning/TL/Aquabros want, then yes we will be trying to get an upgrade in net.

ClamRussel wrote: We've never had 2 more promising goalies at the same time. They're both good so they should be given a chance to show how good. Last year was a gong show so it's not a good measuring stick. 2015 is a good draft so even if things go south it's a good year to take the chance. If they're not good enough JB has plenty of time to address this before we're ready to seriously compete. Losing Markstrom on waivers is not an option & stupid for a team "retooling".
Markstrom looked horrible in net, I don't see where you are seeing that he's "good".
*Markstrom, 24, finished 2-8-3, 3.39 GAA and .873 SV%.
Last edited by SKYO on Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.