Canucks Goaltending Issue

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
CC Legend

Re: Canucks Goaltending Issue

Post by SKYO »

Strangelove wrote:Skyo, are you going to be disappointed when we start the season with Lack/Markstrom? ;)
Damn rights. :mex:

I'm fine with Lack, but he plays much better with a vet.

I'm worried of the dark days of Auld, Burke, Dan Cloutier, Weekes goalie of the future, Hirsch, Raycroft, Potvin, Snow, Irbe etc.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

SKYO wrote:
Strangelove wrote:Skyo, are you going to be disappointed when we start the season with Lack/Markstrom? ;)

Instead of bringing in a vet #1, I say spend that money on forwards and cross our fingers.
Damn rights. :mex:

I'm fine with Lack, but he plays much better with a vet.

I'm worried of the dark days of Auld, Burke, Dan Cloutier, Weekes goalie of the future, Hirsch, Raycroft, Potvin, Snow, Irbe etc.

You forgot back up Bob.

Hey maybe Barbie would come back now that his experiment in Edmonton didn't 't go all that well.
The only HW the Canucks need
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Instead of bringing in a vet #1, I say spend that money on forwards and cross our fingers.
I agree. All three of Läck, Markström and Eriksson are extremely talented, and I'd hate for us to get rid of one of them before we have seen which one will become the best tender.

Läck had a great rookie season, and should be able to build on that. He's the one of these three with the best NHL track record.

Markström has been considered the most talented of the lot, and has won WJ18 as well as world championship gold. Florida messed up his development, so he hasn't quite gotten the hang of NHL hockey yet, but most big rink hockey goalies can and will adapt to the smaller rink. I'm sure Markström will too, with the right coaching, and I'd hate to lose this diamond in the rough on waivers...

Eriksson should stay on the farm this season, but had great stats his two last seasons and reached the SHL playoff final for three consecutive years with Skellefteå, resulting in two silvers and one gold.

I say stick with this lot and use whatever cap space we have to improve the team in front of them!
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

I agree 100% Per...
Topper
CC Legend

Re: SKYOs Goaltending Issue

Post by Topper »

dangler wrote:Can we change the thread title to SKYO's Goaltending Issue?
Well he is known to have had problems between hitting the pipes, but he's better now.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Skyo, it looks like I win.
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

I'll chill till JB gets another goalie within a couple weeks.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by black ace »

Sounds like Canucks have or will be contacting the Agents of Ryan Miller and Jonas Hiller
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

via: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Botch ... story.html

Botchford believes that Markstrom has requested a trade and that at least three teams are interested in him:
It’s believed Markstrom, who wants to play in the NHL with his $1.2 million cap hit, asked for the Canucks to trade him if they can after the Ryan Miller signing.

The Canucks have explored trades and there is interest from at least three teams.

“That situation could work itself out over the summer,” Benning said. “The teams that are interested may have to move out another guy.

“We’re exploring that for Jacob. But if that doesn’t happen, Jacob comes to camp. He has a good attitude. He understands the situation.

“Look at Minnesota last year. They went through about five goalies.”
I would be pleasantly surprised if the Canucks' can receive back anything of value. :mex:
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:I'm leery but intrigued as to how they'll make out this year.
I'm down with that. :drink:
Me too
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

Betamax wrote:via: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Botch ... story.html

Botchford believes that Markstrom has requested a trade and that at least three teams are interested in him:
It’s believed Markstrom, who wants to play in the NHL with his $1.2 million cap hit, asked for the Canucks to trade him if they can after the Ryan Miller signing.

The Canucks have explored trades and there is interest from at least three teams.

“That situation could work itself out over the summer,” Benning said. “The teams that are interested may have to move out another guy.

“We’re exploring that for Jacob. But if that doesn’t happen, Jacob comes to camp. He has a good attitude. He understands the situation.

“Look at Minnesota last year. They went through about five goalies.”
I would be pleasantly surprised if the Canucks' can receive back anything of value. :mex:

how about a 26er of Jack and a dime bag of Columbian Gold...
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

It was inevitable after the Miller signing and no way he clears waivers. The only option the Canucks have, if they want to practice good asset management, is to trade one of Lack or Markstrom. Unfortunately we haven't seen enough of Markstrom to know whether he will be better than what we know we have in Lack.

They won't get much in a trade unless a team sees tremendous upside and have the ability to work with him and show some patience. It really is too bad MG traded Luongo when he did. I think Benning would have done better but it is what it is.

Perhaps we get a 2nd or B level prospect. That would be a good return under the circumstances. I expect more like a 3rd or 4th or a long shot prospect. But it frees the 1.2, gets something for nothing and clears a contract. Benning will get it done, maybe waits until after pre season games if he needs to showcase Markstrom a little, or he shocks us and gets a better offer for Lack.......
The only HW the Canucks need
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Considering the age of these guys (& Miller's 3+ deal), it might make sense to move Lack if they believe Markstrom can improve under Rollie & they can get a better return. Demko, hopefully, will also be chomping at the bit in 3-4yrs.

Reimer is on the market, Brodeur & Bryzgalov haven't signed yet...I don't imagine there's huge demand unless someone wants a young backup on a reasonable contract.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds »

ClamRussel wrote:Considering the age of these guys (& Miller's 3+ deal), it might make sense to move Lack if they believe Markstrom can improve under Rollie & they can get a better return. Demko, hopefully, will also be chomping at the bit in 3-4yrs.

Reimer is on the market, Brodeur & Bryzgalov haven't signed yet...I don't imagine there's huge demand unless someone wants a young backup on a reasonable contract.
Yeah, after hearing a few of the talking heads say that Demko was a guy that probably should have been taken in the first round, I'm hoping this is one of those times where, for once, the Canucks are the beneficiaries of everyone else's oversight and we've picked up a talent that everyone who passed on him will be kicking themselves. He's was touted as being the best goaltender available in the draft wasn't he?
dangler
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dangler »

Sounds like alot of people are assuming Miller won't shit the bed or get injured.
Wouldn't be surprised if they keep Markstrom around just in case
Lowered expectations