Canucks with #6 overall

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Draisaitl
AHL Prospect

Canucks with #6 overall

Post by Draisaitl »

Who will the Canucks pick
I personally think they'll pick Draisaitl if he slips to 6 he seems to be a steal if he's still available. Ehlers, Ritchie, Nylander, Virtanen, and many more are among the Canucks radar

Thoughts
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks with #6 overall

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Draisaitl wrote:Who will the Canucks pick
I personally think they'll pick Draisaitl if he slips to 6 he seems to be a steal if he's still available. Ehlers, Ritchie, Nylander, Virtanen, and many more are among the Canucks radar

Thoughts
Will you migrate to a Flames/Oilers forum if he goes to Calgary/Edmonton? Or are you just reeeeaaaaalllly hoping the Canucks snag him?

If he falls that far, I think the Canucks take him. I think he goes 3rd or 4th though.

Personally, I'm hoping the Islanders go for Ehlers or Nylander, so the Canucks can grab Dal Colle. Failing that, Virtanen seems to have a good combination of grit and scoring ability, and I wouldn't be distraught with Ehlers/Nylander/Ritchie, as all have impact-player potential (albeit in different areas) but likely need a couple years of seasoning.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

LOL I guess Draisaitl wants to get drafted by Vancouver.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

SKYO wrote:LOL I guess Draisaitl wants to get drafted by Vancouver.
If a European player wants to come to Vancouver.....

After years of watching this team get bullied and pushed around, but have players seem OK with the soft touch hockey.....

Fuck sakes.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Virtanen seems the logical choice, how many times have the Canucks passed on a kid from BC and left wondering why the fuck they did that.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

vic wrote:Virtanen seems the logical choice, how many times have the Canucks passed on a kid from BC and left wondering why the fuck they did that.
+1

The kid has one of the most deadly shots I've seen of anyone in the draft, has size and uses it, and is one of the fastest kids in the draft. Oh yeah, and he's a hometown kid.

Why not???
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Yes it's Virtanen. 6'-1" ,210 lbs, extremely fast, hits like a train, nasty, fights, wicked shot and a local boy. JV is only 2 months older than Eichel. He's one of the youngest in his draft class. To be putting up the numbers he had for a young kid in the dub is encouraging. Plus his good showing at the U-18's seals the deal for me. You put him and Shinkaruks speed on Horvat wings? I like that

I worry the Flames are going to take the kid who played in the Flames backyard.

Ritchie's issues with his weight concerns me.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

copy/paste my hfpost cause its pure brilliance jk.

I say hope to god we get a top 5 faller, if not then maybe we can look to trade our #6 for a couple of picks (1st & 2nd) with one of them hopefully being in the top dozen picks.

Looking at Nashville's 11th & 42nd

At 11th we could probably land Perlini or Kapanen or Tuch or Fleury.

at 42nd can take a risk with Point or many options here after our 36th pick.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Mëds wrote:

After years of watching this team get bullied and pushed around, but have players seem OK with the soft touch hockey.....

Fuck sakes.
When The Donald Cherry used to say "chicken swede about Borje Salming whose face looked like he blocked shots with it, it wasn't true then.
For awhile maybe a few former eastern block escapees maybe they let the money go to their heads.
And maybe a few Russians are perhaps a bit enigmatic.

But other than that the idea that euros are soft because they are euros...well that's just throwing bananas
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ukcanuck wrote:
Mëds wrote:

Fuck sakes.
When The Donald Cherry used to say "chicken swede about Borje Salming whose face looked like he blocked shots with it, it wasn't true then.
For awhile maybe a few former eastern block escapees maybe they let the money go to their heads.
And maybe a few Russians are perhaps a bit enigmatic.

But other than that the idea that euros are soft because they are euros...well that's just throwing bananas
It has nothing to do with their place of birth or ethnicity. It has to do with where they grow up and the game they learn to play. It also has nothing to do with how well the block shots, how hard they hit, or how much time they spend in front of the net. This has to do with the post-season game.

The majority of European elite players do NOT have that second gear in the playoffs. Yes, there are exceptions to that, but they are few. I also grant that there are North American born players that don't seem to up the ante come the post-season. In general though I am referring to top-6 and top-2 skaters. They play a skill game that revolves around finesse, and they don't fight through the obstruction and clutch and grab game that comes with the NHL playoffs. While I prefer the skill game, at this point all I want is to see a Stanley Cup in Vancouver, something I don't believe we will see if we keep drafting our skill and scoring out of Europe.

And it's not ridiculous to subscribe to Cherry's logic. The stats speak for themselves. Teams that are led by European players generally don't have the same level of success in the playoffs. I'm not just talking about the captain of the team.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

That is a big steaming pile of generalizations, which is pretty much banana time.
Peter forsberg says hello
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ukcanuck wrote:That is a big steaming pile of generalizations, which is pretty much banana time.
Peter forsberg says hello
And of course it is generalization.....
Mëds wrote: The majority of European elite players do NOT have that second gear in the playoffs. Yes, there are exceptions to that, but they are few.
Mëds wrote: And it's not ridiculous to subscribe to Cherry's logic. The stats speak for themselves. Teams that are led by European players generally don't have the same level of success in the playoffs. I'm not just talking about the captain of the team.
.....try countering my point with something that I didn't just say.

So there's one exception. Name a few others, Chara, Lidstrom, Zetterberg, Selanne.....Holmstrom?

For every one exception you name chances are good there are 10 or 15 North American players that you can come up with.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Mëds wrote: And it's not ridiculous to subscribe to Cherry's logic. The stats speak for themselves. Teams that are led by European players generally don't have the same level of success in the playoffs. I'm not just talking about the captain of the team.
Yeah I dunno about that. Don't Malkin and Zetterberg have Conn Smythe's? Obviously Chara is a major catalyst for the Bruins success. Anze Kopitar is leading the playoffs in scoring, and led the playoffs in scroing in 2012. David Krejci led the playoffs in scoring last season, and led the playoffs in scoring the year the Bruins beat the Canucks, beating (another Euro) Henrik Sedin by 1 point. A north American hasn't led the playoffs in scoring since 09/10 (Briere).

Given that North Americans make up 75% of NHL players, doesn't it seem reasonable that they would also have a greater share of impact players?
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

You do understand that generalizations are bad right ?

Pretty much known as stereotyping, which is also bad.

I'm not going to argue with you by counting coup, that's just as simplistic
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ukcanuck wrote: You do understand that generalizations are bad right ?

Pretty much known as stereotyping, which is also bad.

I'm not going to argue with you by counting coup, that's just as simplistic.
Sometimes the simple things work the best.....

2013 - Chicago: Toews, Kane, Sharp, Keith, Seabrook, Bolland, Hossa, Bickell, Crawford. One lone European there. Go down the rest of their roster and you'll find others, most of them adding 5 or fewer points over the entire playoffs. Frolik and Handzus adding 10 and 11 respectively.

2012 - Los Angeles: Richards, Doughty, Brown, Carter, Williams, Kopitar, Quick, Scuderi, Stoll. One European in that list, in fact if you check their roster the only other European born player is Slava Voynov.

2011 - Boston: Chara, Thomas, Boychuk, Krejci, Marchand, Lucic, Horton, Recchi. Two Europeans there, the rest of the roster held only Kaberle and Seidenberg (Rask didn't play).

2010 - Chicago: See above and replace Crawford with Niemi. Subtract a few Europeans and add back in Kopecky. Oh, and how has Niemi performed in the playoffs since then? Oh right.....he put up good numbers in 2012-13, but has been a post-season choke job every other year since he left Chicago (just like the rest of the Sharks :) ).

2009 - Pittsburgh: Crosby, Malkin, Kunitz, Fedotenko, Letang, Gonchar, Orpik, Scuderi, Fleury. Three in that list, only two more on the entire roster, Sykora and Satan, and they didn't do shit.

2008 - Detroit: Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Lidstrom, Osgood, Franzen, Homstrom, Filppula. A lot of Europeans on that team.

2007 - Anaheim: Not even gonna list them all. Selanne, Pahlsson, and Bryzgalov. Only three European/Russian players on the team. Bryzgalov played 5 games. Selanne is a guy that belongs in that list with Forsberg.

2006 - Carolina: Just two, Kaberle and Wallin, European contributors. There were 6 on the roster and 2 didn't even play. Gerber was the back up goaltender.

Do you see the point I'm making?