Canucks with #6 overall

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Re: Canucks with #6 overall

Post by Rumsfeld » Sat May 17, 2014 12:52 pm

RoyalDude wrote:L.A. seem to be the Bruins of the west, so that model seemingly is still in play...although, take Quick off that team and the team is playing golf right now. Quick IMO is probably the most valuable playoff player in the game right now.

Canucks fans and media alike need to stop worrying about other teams games and work with what they got, i.e., the Sedins etc. You should play a style that suits your best players, instead of trying to get the Sedins to play like the Bruins. The whole team model thing is blown out of whack, the Bruins just got beat by one of the smallest teams in the game. However, I do believe you need a big contingent of youth and that enthusiasm that comes with youth along with speed and character. Size doesn't matter (that's what she says) as much as people think. Canucks problem the last few years is they just keep surrounding this small core group with journeyman reclamation projects instead of their own draft picks. At the end of the day, it was this teams lack of regard and pathetic drafting and developing that did Gillis in. No matter how you slice it, YOU HAVE TO BE MORE RESPECTFUL TO THE IMPORTANCE OF DRAFTING AND DEVELOPING to a teams health, look around the league at the other teams, who are their best players? Players they drafted. It's now quite clear to everybody now that AV wasn't the problem, it was the man up top - Gillis, who quite obviously is one of the worst player evaluators, team builders this team has ever seen. Should have stuck to his day job - players agent, or removed himself as a GM maybe put on the President hat instead.
So as the elder statesman of the urine crew, do you draft Ritchie or Nylander? Assuming Draisatle is off the board.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society

$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker » Sat May 17, 2014 12:59 pm

RoyalDude wrote:L.A. seem to be the Bruins of the west, so that model seemingly is still in play...although, take Quick off that team and the team is playing golf right now. Quick IMO is probably the most valuable playoff player in the game right now.

Canucks fans and media alike need to stop worrying about other teams games and work with what they got, i.e., the Sedins etc. You should play a style that suits your best players, instead of trying to get the Sedins to play like the Bruins. We are stuck with the Sedins whether we like it or not, thanks Mike. The whole team model thing is blown out of whack, the Bruins just got beat by one of the smallest teams in the game. However, I do believe you need a big contingent of youth and that enthusiasm that comes with youth along with speed and character. Size doesn't matter (that's what she says) as much as people think. Canucks problem the last few years is they just keep surrounding this small core group with journeyman reclamation projects instead of their own draft picks. At the end of the day, it was this teams lack of regard and pathetic drafting and developing that did Gillis in. No matter how you slice it, YOU HAVE TO BE MORE RESPECTFUL TO THE IMPORTANCE OF DRAFTING AND DEVELOPING to a teams health, look around the league at the other teams, who are their best players? Players they drafted. It's now quite clear to everybody now that AV wasn't the problem, it was the man up top - Gillis, who quite obviously is one of the worst player evaluators, team builders this team has ever seen. Should have stuck to his day job - players agent, or removed himself as a GM maybe put on the President hat instead.
Great post RD. There was apparently a shake up/re-organization of the scouting department last year that the team believes led to having a pretty good draft year; however I hope that Linden has some serious plans to further develop that part of the organization. Once the GM is in place that has to be Trevor's #1 prioirty. Let the GM deal with bringing in guys to surround the young guys with but Trevor HAS to find a way to lure some scouts with a history of proven results.

Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD » Sat May 17, 2014 2:17 pm

In this order, Rummy

Virtanen
Ritchie
Nylander
Perlini
Fleury
Ehlers
Kapanen
Tuch
McCann
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax » Sat May 17, 2014 3:15 pm

RoyalDude wrote:In this order, Rummy

Virtanen
Ritchie
Nylander
Perlini
Fleury
Ehlers
Kapanen
Tuch
McCann
My list:

Tyler Myers for the #6 overall pick ... :D

Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld » Sat May 17, 2014 3:20 pm

RoyalDude wrote:In this order, Rummy

Virtanen
Ritchie
Nylander
Perlini
Fleury
Ehlers
Kapanen
Tuch
McCann
Yeah I like Virtanen too. Big, fast, skilled.

Not sure I covet him more than Ritchie though.... I like the mean factor, especially when envisioning how unpleasant a line he could form with Kassian... and maybe Horvat one day.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Sat May 17, 2014 8:00 pm

Rumsfeld wrote:And of course having Price and Lundqvist in net doesn't hurt either.
RoyalDude wrote:Quick IMO is probably the most valuable playoff player in the game right now.
Price, Lundqvist, Quick, Crawford, all elite, all their teams in the final four...Get Cory Schneider back asap.
RoyalDude wrote:Canucks problem the last few years is they just keep surrounding this small core group with journeyman reclamation projects instead of their own draft picks.

At the end of the day, it was this teams lack of regard and pathetic drafting and developing that did Gillis in. No matter how you slice it, YOU HAVE TO BE MORE RESPECTFUL TO THE IMPORTANCE OF DRAFTING AND DEVELOPING to a teams health

Yeah our drafting has been this teams downfall throughout its entire history, at least now Gilman has revamped our scouting department and added more, and it has shown imo, as there are much more useful players and they will become assets in the near future enabling a healthy franchise.

---

Since Burke's masterpiece of getting the Sedins in 1999 the Canucks have only mustered up a handful of good players with their picks, which is a testament of how shitty our scouting/drafting has been, the scouts should at least be reading some of these lol: McKeen's, Red Line Report, Hockey Prospect, Future Considerations, The Hockey News, so as our 1st rounder is viable and we can get some useful players in the 2nd/3rd rounds.

After the Sedins..
2000: ZERO
2001: RJ Umberger (fucked that up), Bieksa!! (#151) 5th round, J King.
2002: ZERO
2003: KESLER!! (#23)
2004: Schneider (#26), Edler! (#91), HoneyBadger(#287)
2005: Bourdon r.i.p., MayRay(#51)
2006: Austrian Rocket (#15)
2007: ZERO
Gilly era: 2008: Hodgson (#10) (became our beast Kassian)
2009: mighty mouse pick (#22), KCon(#83)
2010: ZERO (no picks till 4th round though)
2011: Jensen (#29), Honzik G(#71), Corrado! (#150)
2012: Gaunce! (#26), Mallet (#57), Hutton! (#147)
2013: BoHo! (#9), Shinkaruk(#24), Cassels(#85), Subban (#115)
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Sat May 17, 2014 9:26 pm

^^^^
That really is a sad history. A long history at that. It all started with the toss of a coin.
The only HW the Canucks need

Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD » Sun May 18, 2014 7:48 am

The Sedins
Kesler
Bieksa
Umberger

In 5 drafts is bad HW? 5 very good players in 5 drafts is bad? Wow. Not to mention that the Canucks draft positions where they picked Umberger, Kesler and Bieksa weren't exactly favourable positions at landing the star quality players that they did
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD » Sun May 18, 2014 8:56 am

Gilmans revamping of our scouting department seems to have improved our drafting the last 2 drafts. Prior to that it was awful to say the least

Nonis did decent in each of his 4 drafts - Schneider. Edler, Hansen, Brown, Raymond, Bourdon, Grabner. The White draft was awful but he still did decent in 4 drafts especially since he was never picking from a favourable position other than Bourdon at 10

Doyle Hargraves
CC Legend

Post by Doyle Hargraves » Sun May 18, 2014 9:52 am

No is did not do decent in 06 and 07 . He was good in 04 , decent in 05 but picking Bourdon ahead of Kopitar was a terrible blunder . Between 2006-2010 this teams drafting was horrific.
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

CorranHorn
CC Veteran

Post by CorranHorn » Sun May 18, 2014 10:04 am

Picking a guy who dies isn't a blunder, it's a unfortunate happenstance.

More than that it's a tragedy...

Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD » Sun May 18, 2014 10:22 am

Blob Mckenzie wrote:No is did not do decent in 06 and 07 . He was good in 04 , decent in 05 but picking Bourdon ahead of Kopitar was a terrible blunder . Between 2006-2010 this teams drafting was horrific.
Kind of like picking Hodgson instead of Karlsson. Anyhow, we all saw in those last 10 games of the season that Bourdon was going to be a very good defenseman for years to come. Comparing to a player we didnt pick doesn't change the fact the Bourdon was going to be a very serviceable defenseman

Blobby get over your Gillis love, he sucked. But more importantly get over your AV hate, hes a very good coach

Doyle Hargraves
CC Legend

Post by Doyle Hargraves » Sun May 18, 2014 10:27 am

Picking a 2nd pairing d man over a franchise centre is a huge blunder especially when you go off the board to do it.
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD » Sun May 18, 2014 10:57 am

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Picking a 2nd pairing d man over a franchise centre is a huge blunder especially when you go off the board to do it.
So Nonis is the only GM of the 12 off his rocker for not picking Kopitar?

Jaimie Benn was a 4th round pick, how could we pass on him?

Bourdon was going to be a player Blobby, you know it

How could Gillis pick Hodgson and not one of the games best defenseman in Karlsson? I'd rather have Karlsson than Kopitar a thousand times over

Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD » Sun May 18, 2014 11:04 am

Hey Blobby surf and turf, the wife and I went to Joe Fortes last night, take a wild guess who was there stumbling around with a lobster red face?