(Poll) Who do you want to be the Canucks next Head Coach?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Who do you want to be the Canucks next Head Coach?

Dan Bylsma
2
3%
Marc Crawford
2
3%
Kevin Dineen
2
3%
Ken Hitchcock
1
2%
Mike Keenan
2
3%
Pierre McGuire
16
28%
Todd McLellan
2
3%
John Stevens
6
10%
Barry Trotz
14
24%
Other (Please Specify with a Write in Vote)
11
19%
 
Total votes : 58

Re: (Poll) Who do you want to be the Canucks next Head Coach

Postby Rumsfeld » Mon May 12, 2014 1:24 pm

I was against signing Torts *pats own back* and I'm against signing Trotz as well. Seriously, I don't want to have to look at that guy's face in media scrums for God knows how many years.

Trotz was great with a limited budget but his teams are fucking boring as shit. No thanks.
Cowards die a thousand times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once.
User avatar
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2632
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:48 pm
Location: Pissed in the Canyon

Re: (Poll) Who do you want to be the Canucks next Head Coach

Postby Jovocop » Mon May 12, 2014 1:40 pm

Rumsfeld wrote:Trotz was great with a limited budget but his teams are fucking boring as shit. No thanks.


The real question is whether his teams are boring because of the limited budget or not. Also, if boring means a chance winning the big thing, I don't mind a bit at all... but that is a big "if".
User avatar
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1739
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: (Poll) Who do you want to be the Canucks next Head Coach

Postby Betamax » Mon May 12, 2014 1:46 pm

Jovocop wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:Trotz was great with a limited budget but his teams are fucking boring as shit. No thanks.


The real question is whether his teams are boring because of the limited budget or not. Also, if boring means a chance winning the big thing, I don't mind a bit at all... but that is a big "if".


Well, you just have to review the roster and project if they have achieved similar if not better results if they played a more "offensively" minded style.

I can't think of too many high end offensive guys they've had during his long tenure there. They had Kariya for two seasons where he avg. close to PPG in his two season there and the Russian guy that went back to the motherland, and Forsberg for a short period of time, but other than that the team's management philosophy has been to be built with the goaltending and defense being their strengths.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:45 pm
Location: @betamax1080p

Re: (Poll) Who do you want to be the Canucks next Head Coach

Postby SKYO » Tue May 13, 2014 8:53 pm

Dan Bylsma? http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/pensgalleries/6097941-74/penguins-series-games#axzz31bxkPyyQ

However his lack of success in the playoffs is a bit concerning, even with all that generational, all-star, hall-of-famer type talent up front.
:?

Still want that wily ol' vet Trotz, see what he can do with a team with some money for once.
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3475
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: (Poll) Who do you want to be the Canucks next Head Coach

Postby ClamRussel » Fri May 16, 2014 7:47 am

"Once a King, always a King"
-Mike Murphy
User avatar
ClamRussel
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3746
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:50 am
Location: New South Wales, Australia

Re: (Poll) Who do you want to be the Canucks next Head Coach

Postby ClamRussel » Fri May 16, 2014 9:14 am

Bylsma NOT fired! wow only Shero.
"Once a King, always a King"
-Mike Murphy
User avatar
ClamRussel
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3746
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:50 am
Location: New South Wales, Australia

Re: (Poll) Who do you want to be the Canucks next Head Coach

Postby Lancer » Fri May 16, 2014 9:57 am

Apparently Bylsma's fate will be decided by Shero's successor. There's a rumor that ownership was concerned about an apparent lack of candidates to replace Bylsma. We'll see, I guess.

Much as I would be delighted with the prospect of seeing Bylsma as coach, I would like to see a new GM first. Shero wouldn't be my first choice, and I wouldn't be surprised if he lands in Washington. That said, Benning and Bylsma (if he's fired) would be definite cause for optimism.

Interesting times, Indeed...
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
User avatar
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1368
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:41 am
Location: Arnprior, Ontario

Re: (Poll) Who do you want to be the Canucks next Head Coach

Postby Betamax » Tue May 20, 2014 1:25 pm

Okay, from TEAM radio, the talk is that Trotz is the leading candidate with Bruins' Assistant Coach, Doug Houda and Willie Desjardins being in the mix.

Didn't know who this Desjardins guy was. Found this via:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nh ... s/8782281/
He is a successful AHL coach for the Texas Stars and a former associate coach with the Dallas Stars.

Desjardins, 57, has won 90 games over the past two seasons, and players say they learn from him. The soft-spoken man gets his teams to play hard for him.


Curiously, no public talk about John Stevens. Although, he was (allegedly) Michael D. Gillis' preferred guy last off-season may have been tipping point in possibly passing over him. 8-)
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:45 pm
Location: @betamax1080p

Re: (Poll) Who do you want to be the Canucks next Head Coach

Postby Rumsfeld » Tue May 20, 2014 1:26 pm

So Trotz and Desjardins appear the front-runners until we learn Bylsma's fate.

I admire Trotz' track record with Nashville but he says the same things all defensive coaches say.... that he plays a style which complements his roster and he can coach more offensively blah blah blah...

These kinds of coaches always revert to a super-defensive style when the going gets tough -- and I can assure you guys, the going will get tough this season.

The team isn't exactly an offensive dynamo is it? Trotz will play as he has for the last decade... boring.

We're going to experience some growing pains if we go with a young team regardless of the style we play; for the sake of our kids and we the fans, let's play some fun, firewagon hockey!

As for Desjardins, I admittedly don't know much about his style other than it seems pretty up-tempo and aggressive.

If I'm Linden and Benning, I wait to see what happens with Bylsma. I know he's not a perfect hire either, but when he first took over in Pittsburgh I really admired their style of play. Aggressive, but capable of shutting people down in tight games as well. Great transition and puck movement. Reminds me of how the Bruins play now and a little bit of how we played in 2010 and '11. Liked his demeanor in the room on 24/7 as well, for whatever that's worth.
Cowards die a thousand times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once.
User avatar
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2632
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:48 pm
Location: Pissed in the Canyon

Re: (Poll) Who do you want to be the Canucks next Head Coach

Postby sagebrush » Tue May 20, 2014 3:22 pm

Doug Houda looks to be getting serious consideration for the coaching position. That makes sense, if Benning is coming over as GM.

Strangely ... Houda doesn't seem to be available in the poll selection at this time. Maybe this discussion isn't as informed as some thought. ;)
User avatar
sagebrush
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 808
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:36 pm

Re: (Poll) Who do you want to be the Canucks next Head Coach

Postby SKYO » Tue May 20, 2014 3:44 pm

Rumsfeld wrote:So Trotz and Desjardins appear the front-runners until we learn Bylsma's fate.

Hell no to Desjardins! only because he's a tad too nice?

It appears, though, that Desjardins will not demand respect. He’s a soft-spoken guy who just doesn’t work that way. But if he is put into a position where respect and attention are expected, he certainly earns the trust of the players. That’s why it seems he will be a better head coach than an assistant coach.

The big sticking point with that style, though, is what happens when a veteran player decides he doesn’t want to respect the head coach. It rarely happens in junior hockey or the AHL. In both situations, the coach has the carrot of career advanacement as a natural motivator. In the NHL, players can adapt a bit of an attitude, especially with inexperienced coaches.

http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/2013/06 ... -nhl.html/


sagebrush wrote:Doug Houda looks to be getting serious consideration for the coaching position. That makes sense, if Benning is coming over as GM.

Strangely ... Houda doesn't seem to be available in the poll selection at this time. Maybe this discussion isn't as informed as some thought. ;)


Benning will probably interview both Trotz and Houda, both strong leader types but not psycho like Tortorella. :thumbs:
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3475
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: (Poll) Who do you want to be the Canucks next Head Coach

Postby Topper » Tue May 20, 2014 4:01 pm

SKYO wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:So Trotz and Desjardins appear the front-runners until we learn Bylsma's fate.

Hell no to Desjardins! only because he's a tad too nice?

It appears, though, that Desjardins will not demand respect. He’s a soft-spoken guy who just doesn’t work that way. But if he is put into a position where respect and attention are expected, he certainly earns the trust of the players. That’s why it seems he will be a better head coach than an assistant coach.

The big sticking point with that style, though, is what happens when a veteran player decides he doesn’t want to respect the head coach. It rarely happens in junior hockey or the AHL. In both situations, the coach has the carrot of career advanacement as a natural motivator. In the NHL, players can adapt a bit of an attitude, especially with inexperienced coaches.

http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/2013/06 ... -nhl.html/
Mr. Eakins MkII
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4834
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: (Poll) Who do you want to be the Canucks next Head Coach

Postby Island Nucklehead » Tue May 20, 2014 4:49 pm

Rumsfeld wrote:These kinds of coaches always revert to a super-defensive style when the going gets tough -- and I can assure you guys, the going will get tough this season.

The team isn't exactly an offensive dynamo is it? Trotz will play as he has for the last decade... boring.

We're going to experience some growing pains if we go with a young team regardless of the style we play; for the sake of our kids and we the fans, let's play some fun, firewagon hockey!


To add to that, most of our D-men aren't the "lock it down" type. Hamhuis and Tanev are good, smart players, but Bieksa, Edler and Garrison are all prone to bad reads and own-zone mistakes, which makes playing for the 1-0 W kinda tough. There's also the fact that our goaltenders have a combined 88 NHL games played (3 more than Luongo himself had in 2010-11)... yeah I don't like our chances of turning into the LA Kings anytime soon.
User avatar
Island Nucklehead
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4207
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm

Re: (Poll) Who do you want to be the Canucks next Head Coach

Postby Rumsfeld » Tue May 20, 2014 8:48 pm

I deel dirty daying dis, dut I dish Dutter das available.

Dye Doh, Di'me a dotal dipshit.

Duck.
Cowards die a thousand times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once.
User avatar
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2632
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:48 pm
Location: Pissed in the Canyon

Re: (Poll) Who do you want to be the Canucks next Head Coach

Postby Rumsfeld » Tue May 20, 2014 9:09 pm

Holy shit, Bylsma has the same # of votes as Keenan?

:lol:

Looks like the Corner and its entire sock drawer select Barry Trotz as their new head coach. He's the bee's knees. Let's not forget people, Trotz had a frigging STACKED team in 2007 and did sweet fuck-all with it.

I guess I can just change the feed from HD to standard for all the press conferences.

Pauser doesn't care, he still can't afford HD.
Cowards die a thousand times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once.
User avatar
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2632
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:48 pm
Location: Pissed in the Canyon

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and 1 guest